It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon to Release Names of Guantanamo Detainees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The Pentagon has agreed to abide by a New York Federal judge's ruling and release the names of the enemy combatants being held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The government had previously argued it could not release the names without violating the right to privacy enjoyed by the detainees, but the line of argument fell flat, and now the Department of Defense has said it intends to comply with the ruling. The names are just a small portion of the information ordered released, also included are court transcripts and other assorted documents related to processing inmates at the facility.

www.cnn.com
A federal judge ordered the Pentagon on Thursday to release the identities of hundreds of detainees at Guantanamo Bay to The Associated Press. The move would force the government to break its secrecy and reveal the most comprehensive list yet of those who have been imprisoned there.

Some of the hundreds of detainees in the war on terror being held at the U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been held as long as four years. Only a handful have been officially identified.

U.S. District Judge Jed S. Rakoff in New York ordered the Defense Department to release uncensored transcripts of detainee hearings, which contain the names of detainees in custody and those who have been held and later released. Previously released documents have had identities and other details blacked out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Big news, to say the least.

What remains to be seen is whether this is just a stall tactic to turn the heat down. It's been fairly common knowledge that the purpose of Gitmo was to turn enemy combatants to compensate for the lack of intelligence on the ground in the region. Presumably that process has run its course, and that's why the government's attitude towards transparency is changing.

Of course, even if they release the documents, what's to say everything was released? What's to say the real documents were released? A little skillfull editing was probably used to take the edge off, at least, wouldn't that be a distinct possibility? In any case, progress is being made to seeing justice done, and that's a good thing.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by asala]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Anyone remember these happy folks?

I'm amazed that Gitmo hasn't even been resolved yet, and it's already old news. The administration miscalculated I think, given the current level of apathy, they probably could have gone ahead and sold the inmates for dog food without much backlash from the public.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This totally cracks me up. Gitmo was all anybody could talk about for months on end. It was THE hot-button issue dividing the country.

Now the Pentagon has given in to public opinion, and it's met with a resounding : shrug :

So bizarre!

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Those names will be very helpful to the general public.

Here they are..

Mod Edit: removed image

[edit on 27-2-2006 by C0le]

[edit on 2/27/06 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
You know, C0le, your lack of social skills and obssessive commitment to stereotyping is really starting to make me nauseas.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You know, C0le, your lack of social skills and obssessive commitment to stereotyping is really starting to make me nauseas.

Then perhaps you should find yourself a trashcan

What I find more nauseas is the fact that certain people call for the government to do this or that, then, they automatically begin to question when their whining is answered.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
What do you mean by that WestPoint?

Not the trashcan bit, the other bit.

Do you think the issue of Gitmo has anything to do with partisanship?

Why are you, and others, so committed to the concept of sides when clearly there are no enemies but the ones we make for ourselves?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Do you think the issue of Gitmo has anything to do with partisanship?

Why are you, and others, so committed to the concept of sides when clearly there are no enemies but the ones we make for ourselves?

I believe it does, who are the ones calling for the release or trial of the Gitmo detainees?

Also, your right about that, we do make enemies for ourselves, sadly those enemies are us. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot and sooner or later we’re going to pay for it, the great ones always fall from within.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The unedited transcripts have been released (Friday).

60 .pdfs, give or take some that were still classified and accidentally released, but then got taken back. oops.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Here is a list of detainees by nationality. This is several hundred names; what has been released so far.

Detainees

[edit on 4-3-2006 by jsobecky]

top topics

join