It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Obnoxious Co-worker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This started out as a small post to a couple of friends but it kind of got really long and turned into a bit of a rant. So I thought I would give it a thread of it's very own. I'm so excited, I've never posted a rant before.

Here we go...

I work in a very small office, there are 4 of us. We have an Aussie chap working here under a visa which, thank the Lord, is expiring in a few months.

This person has no clue how to behave in a office. I am sick and tired of being called 'darling', 'sweetie' and 'hon' by a glorified receptionist 10 years younger than me! The boss has explained to him several times that this is a no-no. It lasts about 2 days every time.

He talks on his cell phone all day and does nothing! You ask him to do something and he ignores you! Everything is an argument with this kid. He knows everything, don't you know? He majored in PoliSci with a minor in Aboriginal Studies, so he must have a vast knowledge about everything related to building power-generation facilities, right?

He thinks he is a computer/networking genius. Frightening as this may sound, I am actually our IT department. Oh but that's right, I don't have a degree in PoliSci so I must not have a friggin' clue about networking.

After a week of working with us, Loserboy (as he will be called from now on) goes to my boss and tells him we need a firewall for our network. Loserboy just can't believe that we don't have a firewall and he can make it all better, because he is brilliant. So, the boss comes to me and says 'What's this about our network being unsecure?' and my response is 'Huh? I did that my first week here'. So off I go to talk to Loserboy.

We spend an hour arguing about network security and he keeps telling me there is no firewall. He's raising his voice at me and saying that I am threatened by him.
I eventually get tired of listening to him and tell him to follow me to the copier room, walk him over to the rack and restrain myself from smashing the firewall into his face. Apparently the idiot has never seen a firewall that isn't a piece of software. :shk:

One day I come into work and here this little bugger is, sitting in his office, mucking about on the unprotected wireless connections of the other offices in the our building and those around us with his personal laptop! I tell him this is a no-no and he says why? I say 'Aside of the obvious legal, moral and ethical considerations? How about the fact that it could get you fired.'. He proceeds to ignore me and keeps doing it.

On occasion, I have people that come to our office to see me. Everytime this happens, he waits until we are about 10 minutes into our meeting and then walks right into my office without knocking and starts going through my desk drawers, helping himself to things! Without fail, whoever I'm meeting with looks stunned at his behaviour. How rude!

He even walks into our Board meetings if we have cookies. What the
makes a person think they can barge in on a Board meeting because they want a
cookie!?!?!?!?

And I'm not even going to tell you about the time he lamented that he has gotten his father's arm size but not his penis size.

I could go on and on (like you hadn't noticed
) about how obnoxious this kid is but I think I'm starting to feel better.

Thanks for listening to me, guys.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Have you reported all this to your boss?
Document it?

If so I cant see why he is still around.

As for him wanting cookies, make him a special batch..with some exlax.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

It's not just me, he doesn't listen to them either. :shk: It just goes in one ear and out the other.

My boss knows he's an idiot but doesn't want to deal with it because he's leaving in a couple of months anyways. And it makes him laugh when I jab Loserboy in the ribs during meetings and tell him to let Mr. Bossman be the President of the Company today.

I haven't made cookies in a long time, I might have to pull out my baking sheet.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Times like this prove that violence can, in fact, solve things.

:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ok, it's time for the gloves to come off. Make a batch of brownies, special ingredient chocolate Ex-lax. Make sure everyone else knows about it and then let the # fly.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
How about a batch of "special" brownies? The kind Cheech and Chong would like......

It'd be fun watching a self proclaimed techie trying to talk tech after a few of those.....

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
One day I come into work and here this little bugger is, sitting in his office, mucking about on the unprotected wireless connections of the other offices in the our building and those around us with his personal laptop! I tell him this is a no-no and he says why? I say 'Aside of the obvious legal, moral and ethical considerations? How about the fact that it could get you fired.'. He proceeds to ignore me and keeps doing it.

Oh, hell no!

I work in IT, and if ANYONE tried to pull that BS on me, I would have security throw him out.

Someone has to 100% stand up to him and let him know you aren't kidding. If he is on a work visa, won't he have to leave if he is fired?

Sorry, but I am VERY protective of "my" network.

You have greater restraint than I do.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
He's not going to get fired, they're just going to wait until he leaves at the end of April.

He's not going to be playing around with my network for much longer. He was asking me about the firewall a few weeks ago, saying he had tried to set up remote desktop access on his pc with software he downloaded off the internet and all the ports were blocked.
I told him he wasn't allowed to do that and to stop installing all this crap on his pc. Nobody has remote access to the system. Period. End of story. By order of the President.

Well, I found out that Loserboy went behind my back and called the person who originally set up the network to ask him how to 'fix' it so he could use remote desktop.

He's being told to leave the network alone. I just don't expect he'll pay any attention to it. :shk:

Today's fun exchange:

Me: Were you looking for something to do?
Loserboy: No, I have tons of things to do.
Me: Then why are you messaging on your cell phone instead of doing them?

I'm just so frustrated. They aren't going to do anything and he knows it, so he just does whatever he wants.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
No offense, but in the US, his butt would get fired. Tell your boss to FIRE him... He obviously needs the lesson.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Duzey disable the guys uer account so he cant login. If he must have network access use group policy to ensure that he only has access to icons on his desktop. Dont even give him access to the start menu.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
If he must have network access use group policy to ensure that he only has access to icons on his desktop. Dont even give him access to the start menu.

Oooooh...I like that.
Change his proxy settings so he can't access the Internet, either. Block all right-click access as well.

And put an obnoxious wallpaper up, like some big ugly Paint bitmap that says "I don't do anything productive!". And a screensaver to match.

Change his password to something silly like "ImALo$er" and force him to use it.

Heh!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sounds to me like Duzey has a crush on this guy but doesn't wanna admit it!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've seen some pretty nice ideas posted here already

I like Rouschkateer's idea *evil grin*

Let us know how this goes, Duzey.

--Kit.

top topics

join