It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullying in the Police State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
from The Boise Weekly:

"Red State, Meet Police State"
by Nicholas Collias

Dwight Scarbrough's idea of political dissent is one that rubs some people the wrong way. He likes to blame his compulsion for peaceful troublemaking on his birthday: October 2, the same as Ghandi. However, a few of Scarbrough's techniques are all his own--especially when it comes to his truck.

Scarbrough wasn't always so anti-military. During the waning years of the Cold War, he even served five years on a nuclear submarine for the U.S. Navy. But now, instead of trying to stop the spread of "red" states like China and the USSR, Dwight lives in a red state--Idaho. He's the founder and head of Boise's local branch of Veterans for Peace, he leads seminars exposing military recruitment practices in schools, and he--and his truck--are fixtures at nearly every Democratic, antiwar or pro-peace event in town.

While no longer smeared with ketchup, his ride is still hard to ignore. On the back, he tapes weekly updates of the number of U.S. soldiers killed and wounded in Iraq. Beneath that, on a large, white (and also taped-on) placard: "Support our returning troops and their families when they need help: Give them this number: GI RIGHTS HOTLINE: 1-800-394-9544." On both doors, in bold capital letters: "DEATH IN IRAQ IS NOT A CAREER OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUNG AMERICANS." Taking up nearly half of the back window: "Veterans for Peace Chapter 117, Idaho." On the driver's side wheel well, also in all caps: "PERHAPS GOD BLESSES EVERY NATION, NOT JUST THE USA." And interspersed between them all, he places a variety of purchased bumper stickers and magnetic ribbons reading, among other sentiments, "Support our Troops: Bring them Home Now," "Support Diversity" and "Honor Vets, Wage Peace."

Around 2:15 p.m., Scarbrough says, he answered his office phone and found himself talking to a man who identified himself as Officer R. of the Department of Homeland Security. (I'm withholding the officer's name; you know, what with Plamegate and all.) Scarbrough was told that he was in violation of the Code of Federal Regulations, the set of rules that govern all executive departments and agencies, and that he was in danger of being cited unless he came out to the parking lot or let the officer come up to his office. Scarbrough chose the first option, and took along a co-worker--also a veteran--and, being an experienced peace activist, a tape recorder. Downstairs, they found two armed officers with "Homeland Security" insignia patches on their shoulders, waiting for them in large white SUVs. Scarbrough informed the officers that he would record their conversation, and what follows is the transcript of that recording.

(to read the transcript, go to

www.boiseweekly.com...

--------------------------------

Sorry guys, I was only able to get permission from the editor to post some paragraphs followed by a link. However, I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you read that transcript.

Basically, and Idaho guy was being harassed by the Department of Homeland Security (DOH!s) for a controversial bumper sticker on his personal vehicle. While I can understand why this could be a problem if the stickers were on a government vehicle, or were physically threatening to another, it is quite apparent to me that the DOHs was trying to snuff out any sort of scent of dissension.

Mr. Scarbrough should be allowed his rights, not only because he is granted so in the Constitution, but because the decided law allows him.

--------------------------------

And again, here is the link: www.boiseweekly.com...

NOW! Discuss.

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Mod Note: Surround your snippet and link to an external source with these new tags: [ex] --> Begin external source content
[/ex] --> End external source content

[edit on 20-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I guess waht surprises me here the MOST is that no one has replied to your thread

Since when do you have to worry about a political signr in this country? This man was not calling for the death or anyone or violating anyone's rights.
Shouldn't we all be a bit more concerned about this? We're all so busy with cartoon demonstrations and Dick Cheney hunting, we're not seeing what the federal government is doing to citizens on US soil!!!!!

Where is the outrage???

[edit on 20-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I guess waht surprises me here the MOST is that no one has replied to your thread

Shouldn't we all be a bit more concerned about this? We're all so busy with cartoon demonstrations and Dick Cheney hunting, we're not seeing what the federal government is doing to citizens on US soil!!!!!

I would hope so. Unfortunately it seems people are too concerned with Cheney's poor hunting skills to see that the government is quietly usurping their rights. Sad stuff there.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I haven't responded because I have just now come across this thread.

Now that I am here responding, what can I say? The guy is not conforming to New Speak. It is his own fault.

The Patriot Act, the brainchild of Clinton, birthed by Bush, and the tool of future administrations. the next one will probably be Democrat, so the New Speak will change. Be flexible, or be disappeared.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I haven't responded because I have just now come across this thread.

Now that I am here responding, what can I say? The guy is not conforming to New Speak. It is his own fault.

The Patriot Act, the brainchild of Clinton, birthed by Bush, and the tool of future administrations. the next one will probably be Democrat, so the New Speak will change. Be flexible, or be disappeared.

Ha ha, I love your response to this.

Yeah, so what, your rights are gone, get used to it. It's your fault if the DOH harasses you for expressing your opinion, gotcha. You have no rights anymore, lay down and be a slave.

Sorry, but I'll have to pass. I have better things to do than lick boots.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I am in now way anti-war but we as Americans have a right to disagree and to protest. It's what millions of our forefathers fought for in the first place.
I think the DOh was a bad idea, it's just an excuse for as Prez to hand over another cabinet level job to one of his friends and an excuse to blow more of our tax dollars and a woefully inept agency that only derives pleasure from harrasing it's own citizens since their too cowardly to fight the foreigners.
Sure Clinton thought up the Patriot Act and gauranteed the enxt Prez be he Repub or Democ will certainly uphold it. But this guy was just protesting, peacefully too. I totally disagree with him but it's his right as a US citizen and seeing as how he's a US Navy vet, he deserves that right more than a non vet in my opinion.
By the way TC, pass me a slice of Cheesecake.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Careful, friend, or the neighbnor just might tell them that you are not using New Speak. That is not a double plus good, and you should know that.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, I think it's in pretty poor taste to roll around town with the number of dead in Iraq displayed prominently on your vehicle. Too sensational and crass for my taste.

But, his activities shouldn't be the focus of a DHS investigation. I have to assume they're investigating him because they think he's intentionally damaging national morale or something like that. Shouldn't be a crime, in my mind, to agitate for an end to a war. It's a perfectly reasonable position to hold.

I'm sure the guy is friendly and well-meaning, and I'm sure the DHS has something better to do than hassle him for an afternoon (or maybe they don't, and that's the problem).

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Be flexible, or be disappeared.

Sorry, but I'll have to pass. I have better things to do than lick boots.

It's not boot likcing, it's knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.
AKA survival. Not being on "Front Street".

top topics

join