It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First photos of Airbus A380 in full Singapore Airlines' livery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Airbus has applied the colours of A380 launch operator Singapore Airlines (SIA) to one of its development aircraft (MSN004), which departed Toulouse earlier today for the Asian Aerospace air show in Singapore.

Clic k here for the pics >>

Also : here is an impressive comparision of the 747-8 and the A 380 >> link

[edit on 18-2-2006 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What an awesome looking machine.

Those airport shots also show how deceptive it's size looks (and how it will fit in with much of the existing ramp tech etc).

I wonder how the ultimate 'stretch' designs will look in the decades to come.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It's still a ugly plane.
I don't like the way the nose looks around the cockpit. It looks weird around the upper portion above the cockpit.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Wow what a fat bird. But SIA colours just look nice on it. Anyway if i somehow manage to get a chance for a visit(my exams are coming) i'll surely snap a few pics and share with you guys.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I am sorry, but I thought this plane was going to look alot better. I still think the 747-series is dominant in looks. The a380 is ugly!

I was checking out the 747-8 Design from boeing yesterday, and oh my god, it is the best looking plane I have ever seen, simply beautiful.

Train

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I wonder if SIA is going to name (aka Mega Ark etc) them as they have their 747-400's A340 and 777's?

I found the comparison between the A380F and the 747-8 much more interesting. Its a given that both sides will have thier spin machines going, but if the 747 proves more efficent in terms of fuel burn per cargo ton etc. then Airbus will have some problems in the freighter market.

To be honest, I think (and this is just idle speculation) Boeing does not expect many if any passanger sales for this craft. I think they are making a concerted effort to take away some of the lucrative freighter market from the A380.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I read an article recently where the Airbus CEO (amazingly) admitted that the 747-8 freighter would hurt the sales prospects of the A380F, for specific sensible reasons which I cannot remember at the moment, but insisted that it wasn't considered too much of a threat to sales of the passenger version. This may be a unique occasion where Airbus and Boeing are in agreement with each other

The one competition between them I await with baited breath is which way British Airways will jump with its requirement to replace its older 747's, which will account for about a quarter of the current BA 747 fleet. I have no doubt that BA were jumping up and down with glee when Boeing re-entered the market as they have been staunch Boeing buyersa for decades, but it isn't that clear cut which way they will jump. I await this decision with baited breath, it will be an interesting day on this board whichever way it goes

[edit on 18-2-2006 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I read an article recently where the Airbus CEO (amazingly) admitted that the 747-8 freighter would hurt the sales prospects of the A380F, for specific sensible reasons which I cannot remember at the moment, but insisted that it wasn't considered too much of a threat to sales of the passenger version. This may be a unique occasion where Airbus and Boeing are in agreement with each other

I read a similar article waynos(might have been the same one?)

basicly he coudn't see cargo specific operators going for operating both the
747-8 and the airbus a380 whereas some passanger lines have admitted that they may operate both.

either way this article is an interesting read in itself.

www.aviationnow.com.../021306p1.xml

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I read an article recently where the Airbus CEO (amazingly) admitted that the 747-8 freighter would hurt the sales prospects of the A380F, for specific sensible reasons which I cannot remember at the moment,

I think there was a quip in AWST. SOme of it will hinge (no pun intended) on the ability of the 747 to hinge its front open which allows for oversized cargo. Correct me if I am wrong, most of the intial A380F sales have been to smaller package carriers that do not move relativly big items.

The key is what the the airline based cargo haulers go with IMHO. Think Luftansa, SIA, Air France etc. that is airlines that have a dedicated cargo division.

One thing in all this Boeing / Airbus freighter hooplah is that with Boeing pushing agressivly into the slightly bigger cargo market and Airbus already there , this may the final nail in the Antonov coffin

new topics

top topics

join