It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi prisoner beating vs nazi prisoner beating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have read so many posts on here which seem to be saying that the good acts carried out by servicemen and women do not make up for the evil and cruel treatment handed out by a tiny minority of our troops.

During WWII after the invasion of europe there was a huge amount of looting and summirry excecutions by the allied troopa but everyone forgets that and sees the men as heroes one and all.
I believe this show how the media has changed over the last few years during the 40's the storys in the papers would of been about gallent and brave acts carried out by allied troops not the rare occasion that they didnt
also they didnt report the fighting that happened after the war for months guerilla attacks happened on allied men but this didnt appear much in the media at the time.
Now days the papers and TV networks seem to of reached a point where they would rather report evil acts than good ones i know now that saddam didnt have these unfindable WMD's but he would of the man was evil and needed to be removed form power as qwuick as possible but the media ignore that factor and seem to be in the buisness of making our men and women look evil despite the fact they didnt ask to go tmany didnt want to go and they are shot at blown up for that war.

whether this media attack is part of a politcal conspiracy itself does not matter to me but i ask that when people come on here moaning about troops doing this and that step back and look at the big picture yes evil exists but it exists everywhere even on your streets is a suprise that in a situation where you see death and hate everyday people ar emore likely to commit these acts the media should look at why these things happened not just say they are

rant over
tom

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Um, how come your post does not include prisoners of terrorists and their treatment?

Any comments on the savage beatings these prisoners have been subject too at the hands of the terrorists?

Ahhh...I understand, you are anti USA so you have adjusted your post accordingly. You imply that the west is like the Nazi's, and if you included all prisoner beatings, even the ones the insurgents are doing it would distract from your anti West agenda. I understand.

I just wanted to be clear on your agenda, and its crystal clear.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Um, how come your post does not include prisoners of terrorists and their treatment?

Any comments on the savage beatings these prisoners have been subject too at the hands of the terrorists?

My guess would be because that is not the topic. Kindly keep to it.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Ahhh...I understand, you are anti USA so you have adjusted your post accordingly. You imply that the west is like the Nazi's, and if you included all prisoner beatings, even the ones the insurgents are doing it would distract from your anti West agenda. I understand.

It never fails to amaze me how different people can get completely different things from a post.

What I thought popek was saying is that the media concentrates on the negative and doesn't report the positive. It also touches on the way media coverage of conflicts has changed since WW2.

All I can say is that if you think you know what someone is going to say before you even read what they wrote, chances are you'll find what you're looking for. It's called injecting your own bias.

I think popek has a point. I don't agree with the war in Iraq but I'm sure there are a few good things that happen over there. We just don't see them on the news. As the saying goes 'If it bleeds, it leads'.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks duzey i am not anti american i do not subscribe to the 'american idiot' generic hatred of a country because its leaders make some poor choices this is a thread about the media not my personal politcal views.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
well if i remember right , the nazis wer into the pure race idea
and didnt have alot of prisons with prisoners in them .

as far as the media goes . some media outlets have a political agenda .
violence sells .

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
You're welcome popek.

I think what was meant by the reference to nazi prisoner beatings is being misconstrued. The point he's making is that nobody complained when allied troops beat and killed nazi prisoners of war.

The difference is the media coverage.

rdx

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I find it absolutely astonishing that anyone can even contemplate a comparison with current events and the nazi regime.

Never have I heard such hypocrisy and narrow minded thinking displayed by those that should know better.

I go to work, I pay my taxes, I don't get on a london tube train with a rucksack full of explosives and blow several dozen INNOCENT people to smithereens.

I say.....whatever it takes.

The acid test will always be - if you don't like our country and the way that we do things - then leave.

If this country and the United States are so bad - why do so many people try to get there?

I despair....we are at war and the sooner the general population realises this the better off we'll all be

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
All governments are capable and guilty of atrocities at times of war. And it's true that media coverage of war has vastly changed over the years.

I think the question that begs to be answered is, if all governments commit wartime atrocities, does that make one nation more just than another? Let's face it, there is no just cause for crimes against humanity. It doesn't matter which side of the fence you stand on.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
rdx did you even read my post?????
there was actually no comparison between nazi's and the current us/uk government
my comparison was between the us/uk forces and the allied forced of the 1940's
i never once compared the Nazi regime to us in that post i was saying how WE beat them when we took them prisoner

let me make a few things clear:

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY (ENGLAND)
I AM NOT SAYING OUR GOVERNMENTS ARE LIKE THE NAZIS
READ THE POST PROPERLY BEFORE YOU SAY SOMETHING

this is a post about the media i thought id made it clear but i am saying why wont the media look into why these crimes are happeneing not just say they are its a bad thing

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Poor popek.

This thread is a classic example of people not reading the thread before posting and even worse, basing their response on the title and not even reading the initial post! (please don't feel like I'm pointing fingers, I've seen mods do this too, we're all human)

Which is a shame because this could be a very interesting topic. :shk:

Anyhoo,

I guess there are probably a few reasons why these kind of things happen. I've always thought that a big part of the problem is that these soldiers were never meant to be prison guards and they just don't have the proper training or temperment for it. There was a fascinating experiment back in the 70's that I think has a lot of relevance.

Stanford Prison Experiment
Welcome to the web site, which features an extensive slide show and information about this classic psychology experiment, including parallels with the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib. What happens when you put good people in an evil place? Does humanity win over evil, or does evil triumph? These are some of the questions we posed in this dramatic simulation of prison life conducted in the summer of 1971 at Stanford University.

This is definitely a recommended read and may help shed some light on how these kinds of things happen.

But that's not the kind of news that gets ratings. It doesn't bleed.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have been told that to live a happy live you need to know how to excepted the good and the bad and this includes evil. Every person in there life will do some thing that will make peoples heads turn and they need to learn that no one is perfict.
Like the war yes is was evil of those people to beat the men but they also did good things to and we have to learn to take in both.

top topics

join