It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Kills 'beer or two' Line In Cheney Shooting Article

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Even the Daily show didn't make fun of the fact that Cheney didn't even have a license to hunt the birds in the first place
Yeah, right...consequences. Like accountability

But the Daily Show did make fun of the fact that the birds didn't have wings, were domesticated, and released so these 5 rich guys can do some so called 'HUNTING' hahahahaha
So the statement guns aren't dangerous just illegal drunk hunting is

I guess Abrahams' relationship with Cheney is second news to his little hunting accident. Wonder what will happen when Rove needs to have a little press in a misleading direction????

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I had not previously heard that law enforcement were not allowed to speak with Cheney until the next morning. That coupled with the censored "beer or two" slip is certainly suspicious.

These Republicans can't seem to stop messing up and I'm loving every minute of it.

On a side note, "hunting" these types of defenseless birds on a game farm really says something about a person's character.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I think this coverup warrants ATSNN coverage, so if you don't want to write it up for fear of reupurcussions, I'd be happy to.

Please do.

I've already been warned by the FBI twice in the last two years to be quiet.

They might make me go hunting for this one....

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I'm not taking sides here, but I love how everyone jumps to the conclusion that Cheney was drinking. No one has addressed the issue that the person who made the statement might have screwed up. The so called cover-up might be the media trying to cover themselves from a libel suit because there was no alcohol involved.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Screen capture of entire article here:

UPDATE: MSNBC Scrubbing Cheney Alcohol Connection?

Armstrong also told NBC News that she does not believe alcohol was involved in the accident. She says she believes no one that day was drinking, although she says there may have been beer available during a picnic lunch that preceded the incident. “There may be a beer or two in there,” she said…

The supposition that they were drinking along with the fact that Cheney hid out for a day would be too much to stand against so it was killed.

Even if they were not drinking the idea would stick if the quote were allowed to spread.

Seems like its on a few blogs now including what really happened so there is no hiding it anymore.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by ArchAngel]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Honestly I do not see what all the hub bub is about. Hunting Clubs, Game Farms, Private game reserves are pretty much the norm anymore. It has become harder and harder for serious hunters to find 'open range' to pursue their interest. If it where a matter of 'Character' for going to such a place and hunting in a more controlled environment then you have just called into question the character of every hunter I know, including yours truly. God forbid that a 'beer or two' be downed during such an outing. Now I am not an advocate for drinking and hunting at the same time, but we are talking about adults here who were out for a little fun. I don't know about you but if you've ever been out in the field on a cold morning looking to shot a few birds, then once in a while a good sip of bourbon hits the spot. Likewise there is nothing better than a cold brew once the sun is up and you've been chasing bird dogs all morning. Accidents happen and I personally know what it is like to be shot by another hunter. Luckily I was not hurt and had on enough clothes to prevent the shotgun pellets from doing any damage, but it wasn't do to drinking and it wasn't do to negligence. It was an accident nothing more nothing less. The only thing I fault Cheney for in this situation is not reporting the incident sooner. This only created the image of a cover-up, although I certainly understand his reluctance to do so! Afterall look at the field day the media is having. I'm with Norma the bartender at the Rusty Pelican. She says, "If they charge $7 for a stamp to shoot birds, then how much is it for shooting the Ole Goat?"

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Man how would this have been if it was Bush that did the shooting and not Cheney

I am not a big fan of people on the "hill". But # happens!
I just hope the man makes it though OK with a "lead" #8 or #7 bird shot in his hart!
I am a open game person. But I do not drink the day of the hunt! Now after is when you hit the bottle
That's when you get to tell lies about that one that got away.

Please let Me know about this new attorney stamp! I would like to know what the bag limit is and all.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't believe in mixing alcohol and weapons EVER! First what is the law on hunting under the influence? I'll bet that it is nowhere as strict as driving under the influence. I also have to ask "What is all of the uproar about not letting the press know for 24 hours? It isn't like they kept the guy for 24 hours and then took him to the hospital. If an ambulance was called, you can bet that the cops were there as well, so hiding Cheney for 24 hours to let him sober up isn't an option. You can bet that he was interviewed by the investigators and if he showed signs of intoxication it was noted. I think that the reason for this is that people are just looking for any reason to try to slam Cheney or Bush. One other question "What if it was the lawyer who accidently shot Cheney?", would we be having this discussion?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
One other question "What if it was the lawyer who accidently shot Cheney?", would we be having this discussion?

Well from my experience at ATS I would say that there would be a thread saying this was a conspiracy to kill the VP that went a-fowl!

[edit on 15-2-2006 by WHOFLUNGGUM]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Good find!

I'm also concerned that it may have been late and perhaps dark.

From your link:

Armstrong said the shooting accident happened toward the end of the hunt on Saturday, when it was still sunny but as darkness was encroaching and they were preparing to go inside.

Now, was it sunny or was darkness encroaching? And why even say anything about sun or dark? "toward the end of the hunt on Saturday" would suffice nicely.

Some reports say 5:30, some say 6:30.

This thing stinks to high heaven, to me! Peeeee-Yew!

The incident report filed says 5:30... alt.coxnewsweb.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I'm not taking sides here, but I love how everyone jumps to the conclusion that Cheney was drinking.

Cheney has at least two DUIs on his record so the idea of him drinking and hunting is completely believable.

www.thesmokinggun.com...

www.thesmokinggun.com...

The idea that someone could mistakenly include the bit about the VP of the USA having some beers before shooting a man is far more of a stretch.

Originally posted by JIMC5499 No one has addressed the issue that the person who made the statement might have screwed up. The so called cover-up might be the media trying to cover themselves from a libel suit because there was no alcohol involved.

Damn hard to win libel suits in America, especially when it involves politicians trying to sue the mainstream media, the burden of proof is on the suer. No, this rings of submission to political pressure.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Paul of Nisbis]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul of Nisbis

Damn hard to win libel suits in America, especially when it involves politicians trying to sue the mainstream media, the burden of proof is on the suer. No, this rings of submission to political pressure.

[edit on 15-2-2006 by Paul of Nisbis]

Actually they are pretty easy to win when the media falsely accuses someone of a crime and the investigation shows that the crime never happened. This would be exactly the type of case that Cheney would fight tooth and nail because it could lead to this being more than just an accident. Lets not forget the people who are running this hunt and their insurance company. If Cheney was shown to be drinking and the people who were operating this hunt allowed it to continue then they would share in the liability lawsuits that are going to follow this. Right now it is just a hunting accident not negligence.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Yahoo News has picked put the story now!

According to the report, which appeared briefly Tuesday on MSNBC, Armstrong peddled the line that she did not believe that alcohol played a part in the shooting accident. But, she admitted, "There may be a beer or two in there, but remember not everyone in the party was shooting."

The MSNBC story, which appeared only briefly before the website was scrubbed for reasons not yet explained, has been kept alive by the able web investigators at TheRawStory and other progressive blogs. And so it should be, as the prospect that alcohol may have been involved in the Texas incident takes the story in a whole new direction.

Cheney, "A Beer or Two" and a Gun

And so did Huffington Post:

Then there was this Armstrong quote on MSNBC and picked up by Firedoglake (later dutifully scrubbed, but preserved on Google cache): "There may be a beer or two in there," (Armstrong) said, 'but remember not everyone in the party was shooting.'"

Interestingly, Armstrong's playing with words here. She later said that she (Armstrong) hadn't had anything to drink, so at least one of the other three must have been drinking - and the other three were shooting. So while her statement was literally correct ("not everyone ... was shooting"), it gives the false impression that nobody drank and shot.

Cheney's Chappaquiddick II: The Real Story Emerges

Along with a few Blogs:

blogs.philly.com...

dailykos.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM
Private game reserves are pretty much the norm anymore. It has become harder and harder for serious hunters to find 'open range' to pursue their interest. If it where a matter of 'Character' for going to such a place and hunting in a more controlled environment then you have just called into question the character of every hunter I know, including yours truly.

Shooting animals in a fenced-in yard is not hunting, sorry. I'm a hunter myself and there is plenty of open range in many areas of the country. Here in Montana not only is there plenty of open, inhospitable country, but the game is dangerious and so has a fair chance at fight or flight. For you and anyone else that needs to "hunt" in the fashion described above, then I'm truly sorry for your lack of hunting proficiency.

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM
God forbid that a 'beer or two' be downed during such an outing. Now I am not an advocate for drinking and hunting at the same time, but we are talking about adults here who were out for a little fun. I don't know about you but if you've ever been out in the field on a cold morning looking to shot a few birds, then once in a while a good sip of bourbon hits the spot. Likewise there is nothing better than a cold brew once the sun is up and you've been chasing bird dogs all morning.

I do hunt, but I couldn't tell you about needing a "sip of bourbon", or a "cold brew". I don't drink. And if I did, I'd like to think I'd have enough common sense to not drink while handling weapons. If the allegation of Cheney drinking turns out to be true as was stated in the first reports of the incident, then I guess he should have exercised a little more common sense now shoulnd't he.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

...you can bet that the cops were there as well, so hiding Cheney for 24 hours to let him sober up isn't an option. You can bet that he was interviewed by the investigators and if he showed signs of intoxication it was noted.

C'mon seriously! We are talking about the VP of the US of A! (you know... the one with the brains) Do you REALLY think the police would have a snowball's chance in hell in actually detaining Cheney? Even for questioning? I don't think so. Even if they did they would be told what to put in their report. Believe it.

And...

Originally posted by ArchAngel
I thought you said we were shooting Peasants!

Oooh! *wipes a tear* That's good stuff!

[edit on 16-2-2006 by unmarked01]

<< 1   >>

join