It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths poles moving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have read somewhere that the earths north and south poles are moving and and that there still moving from what i remember about this was that the poles have moved 560 miles in the last 30 years. not alot but still a sufficent amount, can anyone one shed some light on this and possible future disruptions from this movement

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
interesting topic indeed...people have been saying that something would happen to cause the poles to shift, but your saying that nature is already in progress of shifting them? I can see that.
Time to move to Antartica and get ready for a nice sunny beach home. (Cold wait though)

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
There are a few examples

Grid North, Magnetic North & True North

There are three norths commonly in use in Great Britain:

Grid North: the direction of a grid line which is parallel to the central meridian on the National Grid.

True North: the direction of a meridian of longitude which converges on the North Pole.

Magnetic North: the direction indicated by a magnetic compass. Magnetic North moves slowly with a variable rate and currently is west of Grid North in Great Britain.

Ordance Survey

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElliottWilson
I have read somewhere that the earths north and south poles are moving and and that there still moving from what i remember about this was that the poles have moved 560 miles in the last 30 years. not alot but still a sufficent amount, can anyone one shed some light on this and possible future disruptions from this movement

I suppose you mean the magnetic poles, they are the ones who can shift.

The geographic poles can not change, unless the Earth stops rotating.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I recall reading somewhere that the north pole (magnetic north) will be in siberia within the next few years

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hmm, would this have been one of the reason behind the Tusnami last year on Boxing Day? And also the New Orleans Hurricane? The Earth is unbalanced during the pole shift??

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Hmm, would this have been one of the reason behind the Tusnami last year on Boxing Day? And also the New Orleans Hurricane? The Earth is unbalanced during the pole shift??

I dont think so, the shifting of the magnetic poles may affect the magnetic shield that protects the Earth from the solar radiation, but I do not think that this will be to pronounced to be noticed, unless the magnetic field really disapears.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
...unless the magnetic field really disapears.

If that happens we are well and truly f***ed

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by eternally_damaged

Originally posted by ArMaP
...unless the magnetic field really disapears.

If that happens we are well and truly f***ed

Yes.

We will be "eternally_damaged"

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yeah I caught a little bit of the article too. Im not educated at all in what the effects of a non-wobble would have on us, so if someone could shed some light...

www.michaelmandeville.com...

[edit on 12-2-2006 by xEphon]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The magnetic poles of the earth are moving, but, of course, the geographic poles are stationary. I'm not sure how much the magnetic poles are moving, but I know that I have read somewhere that they do. 560 miles in 30 years sounds like a bit much to me, though; I think it's probably much less than that.

top topics

join