It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gog Magog- two mythical giants of England

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is a spinoff of the Nephilim pic thread and the info angelwings gave us in Qualye's website, I was taking a look at this wikipedia Article:

en.wikipedia.org...

Two Mythical giants who supposedly were born of Demons (see account), and became the "Guardians" of England. England's ancient name is Albion, they were the nation's mythical founders according to legend. Interesting no? Reminds me of the legend of Romulus and Remus and Rome who were semi-divine and built the city. I also want you guys to take a look at British "Fairy" lore since most often it talks of giants, imps, and demons instead of benign winged pixies. Can there be a connection to Britains probable past with Giants? Albion refers in a very specific manner more to what we would call Scotland to England, one of the world's most superstitious regions, who's people were (at least in the past) replete with legeneds on supernatural beings and the occult. This seem's extremely interesting to me.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There are alot of storys about giants in the uk, the giants stairs in scotland and the story of the giant Mohan Macmohan is one.

About the fairy's, the fairy's are not seen as imps or demons rather than benign winged pixies. The fairy's in different stories are sometimes kind and sometimes wrathful. I remember my uncle in Ireland telling me a story about a child who had died and the fairy's built a coffin for him or her.

The fairy's in Ireland are often referred to as "the good people" and in Cornwall in England it is often the same. Of course there are some story's of the fairy's being vengeful, like the story of "Paddy Corcoran's Wife", i will try to remember it.

Paddy's wife had been ill for seven years. No doctor or quack could help her and she had been lying in her bed for these years. Then one day a wee women (wee means small by the way) appeared by her bedside and told her it was her own fault she was ill. She asked how this was and the fairy replied "We walk past your door twice a day, before sunrise and after dusk. Each day you throw your dirty water out over us and so we have been annoyed with you. If you stop this you will be well again". Paddys wife did as she was told and enjoyed good health therafter.

Ok so as you can see the fairys were judged good by the people but they wern't to be crossed. I hope this was of interest to someone.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Lot's of stories involving Giants in England. Jack and the Beanstalk? I think it's pretty interesting....

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Wasn't the ancient name for England Lloegroes? The ancient language being Coelbren? And the true history of Lloegroes now gone thanks to Edwin Guest and his 'history of Britain'.

Just checked it is Albion. The name derived from Albyne, probably when ancient Britons came from Syria around 3600bc.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Thought it was somehow based on Diocletian's daughter (even if it's a myth).

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I just came across the phrase "DARPA AUGCOG". Does it have anything to do with MAgog.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The legends and references date from the time of the Christian missionaries and show a very interesting phenomina -- how a new religion is adopted and modified into older religions and how older religions keep their symbols and stories even when a new religion comes into the area.

A number of saints were modified Celtic gods -- Brighid/Bridgette is one that I remember in particular.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Can there be a connection to Britains probable past with Giants

no
Fairies didn't exist until 1600bce
they are originally native to ireland where they are called the danone sidth (sith) Darth vader is a fairy). these tales were told after the departure of the Tuatha Danu from ireland after their defeat by the milesians around 1600bce
they were still worshipped as gods and were said to be tall with blonde hair and blue/green eyes (this is the origin of the giant myths)

they built passage tombs and henges (including newgrange) all over ireland leading to the folklore connection of fairies who live under the ground and their connection with circles.
when christianity arrived in britain they were turned from a known fact to a myth without basis
another name for the is the tothail nathrach
this means children of the serpent and it was the worship of these serpents that St Patrick is said to have vanquished leading to the modern myth that he banished all the snakes from ireland (there were never actually snakes in ireland)
back in britain St George was also vanquishing a serpent without actually ever leaving Turkey and in Scotland St Columba was scaring off the Loch Ness Monster
which is hardly credible unless youre a local business relaint on tourism

Lot's of stories involving Giants in England. Jack and the Beanstalk?

The Story of Jack Spriggins and the Enchanted Bean was included in the 1734 second edition of Round About Our Coal-Fire.
this is the earliest mention of it in English history

Just checked it is Albion. The name derived from Albyne, probably when ancient Britons came from Syria around 3600bc.

it is derived from Albus the latin for white and so named because most people entering the country did so at Dover
nobody came from Syria in 3600bce
if they had their dna would be all over the place and it simply isn't
recovered ancient dna most of the time is traced back to scandanavia in that period and france and germany later on apart from some in ireland which has been traced back to Iberia atound 1500bce

I just came across the phrase "DARPA AUGCOG". Does it have anything to do with MAgog.

www.google.co.uk...

The legends and references date from the time of the Christian missionaries

this is only because they were the first to write them down

A number of saints were modified Celtic gods -- Brighid/Bridgette is one that I remember in particular.

there are also more carvings of the green man in English Churches than there are of Jesus and we as a nation have never really taken any religion seriously
www.mikeharding.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
***Off Topic material removed***

Back on topic

I read or was told that Early English citizens were actually quite short in stature, that average heights were around 5 feet tall.
If this is true, could not a person of 6'5" + be considered a giant?

[edit on Sun May 9 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Height variations within a population are largely genetic, but height variations between populations are mostly environmental, anthropometric history suggests. If Joe is taller than Jack, it’s probably because his parents are taller. But if the average Norwegian is taller than the average Nigerian it’s because Norwegians live healthier lives.

because of this the United Nations now uses height to monitor nutrition in developing countries

so the claim that short English people is completely erroneous as you would have mixed in with them tall english people who came from a different background
traditionally in england good nutrition is a recent thing
but thats not just true of england but also the entire world
only in the modern era have people realised the value of good nutrition
they even teach you that now in the British army
but its been around a lot longer with the maxim an army marches on its stomach

so basically no
a tall person would only be regarded as a tall person
Giants are something else entirely
the Tuatha danaan were clearly a very tall race but were not referred to at any time as giants
the word giant didn't even exist in the english language until the end of the 13th century so its much more likely that the stories of Gog and Magog gained their giant claim to fame when they were translated into Latin in the middle ages
like all stories
they get embellished in the retelling

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Interesting thread. Are you saying that the giants & fairies were one & the same thing? How did they become known as being so small if they were actually giants? or perhaps ive missed the point...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
when the Tuatha Danu disappeared from ireland the local peoples claimed that they had gone back underground into the tombs that they built back to the underworld they had come from

over the years this joined other aspects of folklore
and they got smaller and smaller

see something that you can't see with your eyes but you think is still there is going at some point be described as small
or magical
or both

in the meantime the early church was copying out ancient texts into latin and describing tall people as giants

probably

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

... and we as a nation have never really taken any religion seriously

Yeah, you are so true there. But English men always push other people to be religious in order to fight against Communism.
When English men robbed all over the world, they pushed Christianity to all over the world, and as said English men never taken any religion seriously... BUT seriously taken other people to be religious.

And of course England is full of bullsh*it fairy tales, folklore and other stupid stories made by stupid people.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
would you like to say anything else off topic and insulting to Englishmen Cinlung or are you just going to waste everybodies time
fyi it was the americans who fought against communism
some of the members of our secret service ended up being highly decorated Soviet military officers
shows what you know doesn't it

while the americans were doing this poor nations such as those in the middle east were also being armed by the communists so that they could engage in holy wars against each other and wipe each other out and save the communists from doing it when they later rolled their tanks in to claim all the oil

anyway getting back to the subject of english fairy tales that you raised
here is a list
en.wikipedia.org...
as you can see none of them are particularly old
the idea of fairies is really quite a modern concept

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The " Bhavishya Purana " is the eleventh among the Puranas and it contains five parts. The first part contains a description of the genesis, greatness of the deities and worship of Lord Vishnu, Shiva and Surya. Second, third and fourth parts describe about the greatness of Shiva, Vishnu and Surya respectively.

It gives very accurate forecasts about Jesus Christ, Mohammad, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, the fall of Sanskrit and coming of other languages, about the coming of Buddha, Madhavacharya, Chandragupta, Ashoka, Jayadeva and Krishna Chaitanya and about Kutubuddin & the Shaws ruling Delhi.

Link : www.astrojyoti.com...

In Hinduism, the giants are called Daityas. The Daityas (दैत्‍य) were the children of Aditi and the sage Kashyapa who fought against the gods or Devas because they were jealous of their Deva half-brothers. Since Daityas were a power-seeking race, they sometimes allied with other races having similar ideology namely Danavas and Asuras. Daityas along with Danavas and Asuras are sometimes called Rakshasas, the generic term for a demon in Hindu mythology. Some known Daityas include Hiranyakashipu and Hiranyaksha. The main antagonist of the Hindu epic Ramayana, Ravana was a Brahmin from his father side and a Daitya from his mother side. His younger brother Kumbhakarna was said to be as tall as a mountain and was quite good natured. Surprisingly, Bhavishyapuran call people of England as Daitya and Queen Victoria (Vitori in book) as the queen.

England was named Albion once. Here were many giants in the land in those days, but Brutus fought and conquered them. He made himself king, not only over Albion, but over all the islands which lay around. He called them the kingdom of Britain or Britannia after his own name, Brutus, and Albion he called Great Britain because it was the largest of the islands.

England was a Land of Giants !!!!

This is not fairy tales or mythology. The mythology we know of, is actually the True History. We are brainwashed in schools that mythology is just some fairy tales and it cannot be given the importance history. This applies to all mythologies around the world.

How do u think that an Indian mythology can talk about the Giants of Albion(England) ???

THIS IS NO FUN. The True history is broken and shattered so that we dont understand the past and the true nature of ourselves and our past.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by maverick_13]

[edit on 9-5-2010 by maverick_13]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This thread caught my eye straight away.
In cambridge we have the gog Magog downs.

en.wikipedia.org...

from a young age I was lead to believe that these hills were
the burial site of 2 giants. Check the wiki link and let me know
what you think.

I've always found this subject interesting.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

top topics

join