It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eqypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Hello, I've recently returned from a trip to Jordan & Egpyt.

I was wondering what other people thought of Egypt? It was nothing like I expected and I was quite disapointed to be honest. Yeah the pyramids was great, but again very disapointing, all that work to get to the middle of it? and whats there? nothing? just a room. Also I was expecting the Pyramids to be in the middle of the desert miles away from anything, in fact it was quite the opposite, I know Egypt rely on Tourism as their number one income, but I felt conned by the end of it. Lovely place but I don't think I'll be back there in a hurry.

Please let me know if you've been

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
At least you got to go in the pyramids. I was only allowed on the outside. There was too many arabs trying to sell crap for my liking though I really enjoyed Cairo museum of Egyptian antiqueties. Wont be going back though!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
yeah, ive never been but friends of mine that have, have also been dissapointed. I suppose on a second trip you would enjoy it more, at least you know what to expect from the place.

All those guys begging and trying to sell you tack would definatley wind me up though.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
At least you got to go in the pyramids. I was only allowed on the outside. There was too many arabs trying to sell crap for my liking though I really enjoyed Cairo museum of Egyptian antiqueties. Wont be going back though!

Well you didn't miss much by not going in there, only thing I achieved was a bad back! The shafts are really small and I'm quite a big guy.

But I know what you mean about arabs trying to sell you anything, they litraley cling onto you trying to sell you any bit of junk. I think if they had some respect for the tourist they'd probably sell more as you don't want things shoved in your face all the time, you want to be able to browse the goods your buying.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
DodgeG1,

Did you have a guide accompanying you? A guide may have told you beforehand that the pyramids are void, saving you the disappointment of looking at a vacant triangular room.

Besides, Cairo's chief sightseeing appeal lies in its bazaars, medieval mosques and the Nile Valley, more so than even the pyramids. It seems rather odd that they over emphasis the pyramids when they can lure tourists by other, better things.

By any chance, did you visit the town of Luxor? I think you may have enjoyed it far more than Cairo, I did. It has magnificent temples and the Theban Necropolis, which includes the Valley of the Kings where Tutankhamun and other pharaohs were buried.

In my opinion, Egypt isn't a disappointment, but if you do plan on going, make sure you do extensive research on the type of things it has to offer before jetting off. It is also wisest not to have too many expectations.

[edit on 17-2-2006 by Dorian Gray]

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
What did you think about Jordan? A while back I watched a special on travel channel, where some guy cruised around Jordan with the king himself. After seeing that show, Jordan will be my first stop when I tour the middle east. They showed the most amazing things on the show. By chance, did you see the temple where they filmed the end scene in the last Indiana Jones film? You know, the one in the canyon.

Anyways, I'd like to know what you thought about Jordan. I've been awstruck by the country ever since that show aired on the travel channel.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Dorian Greay - Thanks for your reply, I did indeed visit Luxor and your right it was amazing. The valley of the kings was also very interesting and I learnt alot. But the main reason I went to Egypt was to see the pyramids and the sphinx and like I say it did disappoint me. I did have a guide yes but they didn't say too much about what was inside the pyramids until afterwards.

ReginalBigsby - Thanks for your reply also, I didn't spend too long in Jordan but again it is a poor country. I didn't visit the place where idiana jones was shot, but I did visit the place where "Lawrence of Arabia" was shot. We went out into the middle of the dessert on a Jeep 4X4 and I was amazed at how cold it was. We was literally shivering in a dessert??? strange but true! The people of Jordan are very nice and very friendly and will come and talk to you if you like it or not.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I went to Egypt two years ago. I went on a cruise down the Nile. Starting at Luxor to Aswan and back again. We stopped off at loads of great sites and temples.

I knew a couple of people who had been to Egypt before. They also say that the pyramids are a disappointment. The cruise I went on didn't go to the pyramids or Cairo. Would have liked to have seen the Pyramids etc, but don't feel too disappointed.

The best thing about my holiday there was the tour guide. I booked through a company called Discover Egypt. The tour guide we had seemed to know everything about the subject. Apparently, he and the other guide on our boat, both had degrees in Egyptology (a requirement with that company apparently). The Valley of the Kings was amazing. The tomb of Ramses VI was breathtaking. Also weird to think we walked over the entrance to the new tomb thats just been uncovered.

The only bad thing, as everyone else has mentioned, were the locals. Either begging or trying to sell you the most unbelievable crap. Got annoying after a bit. Sad to say the only arabic word I remembered (due to the number of times I had to use it) was LA (no). The only times I felt a little bit bad though was when ,on the last day, I went for a walk and say lots of kids on the way to school. They all started gathering round and started asking for pens. They didn't ask for money, justs pens. I learnt afterwards that kids in Egypt have to supply there own pens at school. Wish I'd have bought a couple of packs of cheap Bics with me.

In short though, highly recommend it. Especially with the people I went with.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yeah I must admit, I too were quite disappointed with the pyramids. But I do think it's because I had HUGE expectations, and they didn't turn out to be as I pictured them in my head. I was overwhelmed by the Sphinx though, it is marvelous. I also very much enjoyed the Cairo Museum. I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rattus Norvegicus
Yeah I must admit, I too were quite disappointed with the pyramids. But I do think it's because I had HUGE expectations, and they didn't turn out to be as I pictured them in my head. I was overwhelmed by the Sphinx though, it is marvelous. I also very much enjoyed the Cairo Museum. I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

Yes the Sphinx is great and I would loved to of seen it in all it's glory when it was first built! Now tho as you see for yourself they are trying to restore it, which to me is a shame as it wont be the oringinal anymore.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I think part of the problem is the way tourism is marketed:

"If you're ever in ________, then you haven't really been there until you've seen _____."

It really is sad. Sort of like at the Eiffel Tower in Paris. There's a jillion things to do in Paris, but all the Americans have to go and get a picture of self being kissed in front of eiffel tower.

or running through the Louvre, past a world of famous paintings, just to say you've seen the Mona Lisa with your own eyes. . . .

I call it the Blarney Stone Effect.

There's a lot to Egypt. I guess I wasn't underimpressed by the pyramids because I knew what shape they were in beforehand. Luxor etc., much better, but again, people on 5 day packages never get to see the most important sites.

If you came with me to the American southwest, I'd show you five places you've never heard of, that would knock your socks off. Same with Egypt, come to think of it. . . .

[edit on 26-7-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

top topics

join