It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu article on Senate testimony disapears from the net?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Been wondering were to post this. So here I am
February 6th, 2006

Is the serious threat of Bird Flu being kept out of the world media? Maybe, read on:

Ok, I read an article in a national newspaper, about the director of the federal centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Her name is Julie Gerberding. The article was published in the Oregonian, Vol 154, No. 52,208.(This info was on the back of the cut out article.) I don’t have the exact date of the paper, as it was thrown out after I cut out the article. I believe it is Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday Jan 30th or 31st or Feb 1st. (I think its the 1st) I have the article in my hands.

What I find interesting, is that I can’t find the article on the archives at the Oregonian. www.oregonlive.com... nor can I find the article on the web. I admit, maybe I’m not searching as good I you might, but I am sure struggling trying to find ANYTHING on this article on the net.

Rather than give you quotes, I’m just gonna type the article verbatim. (there were several ‘typos,’ I left them intact. E.g: Abercrombiealso ) I have underlined several key areas that should give pause, to any of us that have been following the bird flu story, and are concerned about an outbreak. What should give people even more pause, given what is said, and WHO is saying it, is why is it so difficult to find on the web? Why is person to person transmission not being talked about in the national new media? Draw your own conclutions. Here is the article:

Threat of bird flu growing dire, CDC chief says

Fear of pandemic | Dr. Julie Gerberding tells a Senate panel the virus is infecting new animals

By FROM WIRE REPORTS

WASHINGTON – The director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and prevention warned Tuesday that the bird flu virus is infecting other animals and has spread person-to-person in at least two cases.

“We have basically everything of concern except for the last requirement for a pandemic – and that is we have not see sustained and rapid person-to-person transmission,’ Dr. Julie Gerberding told a panel of senators. “We hope we never check this last box, but we are certainly as close to checking it as we’ve been in the last several decades.”

Gerberding called the bird flu situation “serious,” saying that migratory birds and domestic poultry are spreading the virus known as H5N1 to an increasing number of countries.
She said it has evolved so that it can infect cats, pigs and tigers and, in two cases, spread from one person to another.

In most cases of human infection, the patients have been in direct contact with infected poultry.
According to the World Heath Organization, 160 people have been infected with the virus and 85 have died.
No reported cases of avian flu in birds or humans have been in the United States.

Gerberding called the H5N1 virus “especially bad” and compared it with the virus that spurred the 1918 bird flu pandemic that is estimated to have killed about 50 million people worldwide.
“We know from research done at DCD and at the Department of Defense that the H5N1 virus is similar to the 1918 virus, which also emerged from birds,” she said.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa, said thee has been insufficient preparation for a flu pandemic over the past several years.
“It could enormous, or it might not be a major problem,’ Specter said of the outbreak danger. “That will depend upon what happens in many distant places around the world.”

George Abercrombie, the president and CEO of drug-maker Hoffmann-La Roche Inc., told the senators that his company is accelerating production of the anti-viral Tamiflu, which is thought to be an effective treatment for bird flu.
He said the company is committed to providing enough doses for 25 percent of the U.S. population, as called for in the federal preparedness plan.
Abercrombiealso told the Senate panel that his company received a “letter of intent” from the Health and Human Services Department on Friday stating that purchases of Tamiflu for the U.S. stockpile this year may total enough to treat 46 million people, up from a previous estimate of 15 million.

- End -

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I believe the full report is here: healthyamericans.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the link I will scope out. I will be very interested to see if anyone can find this article, and the specific details... on the web.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
No problem, I think the one you are referring to is hard to find (Haven´t found an exact match.

BTW here is an excellent link to see all the latest news on the virus.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
HTG writes: "I think the one you are referring to is hard to find (Haven’t found an exact match."

That's in part my question... WHY is it hard to find. The head of the CDC says two confirmed person to person transmissions, and the virus has jumped to other animals (mammals) That is big news. Why hard to find on the net?

I liked the healthy Americans article you linked to. I looked over the other link, didn't see anything related to this article.... A good resource.

WA

new topics

top topics

join