It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier pays for armor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

The last time 1st Lt. William “Eddie” Rebrook IV saw his body armor, he was lying on a stretcher in Iraq, his arm shattered and covered in blood.

A field medic tied a tourniquet around Rebrook’s right arm to stanch the bleeding from shrapnel wounds. Soldiers yanked off his blood-soaked body armor. He never saw it again.

But last week, Rebrook was forced to pay $700 for that body armor, blown up by a roadside bomb more than a year ago

source: www.wvgazette.com...

Pretty pathetic that the U.S. Army is making this type of demand on someone who apparently gave so much. Perhaps it's budgetary cutbacks in action. I think they should start charging for bullets that don't hit their mark as well.....idiots.

brill

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Mod Note: Surround your snippet and link to an external source with these new tags:
[ex] --> Begin external source content
[/ex] --> End external source content

[edit on 8-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thats is quite unfortunate. He should take the US government to the Supreme court with a copy of his contract because I seriously doubt it says soldiers must pay for damaged equipment thats saved their lives which they have been giving to fight a war. Might as well start hiring mercenaries and let them be responsible for their own things.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This is sick and very sad!
I wish that when the idiotic military is recruiting at high schools,to boys who are not even old enough to keep their rooms clean.
The should throw in. Oh by the way, you might have to fork over for body armor. Should it get destroyed,while you are risking your life. We really don't care if you loose arm or leg, just pay for the armor!

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Actually anyone who enlists into the armed forces is required to pay for any lost or damaged military equipment they have signed for, it has been that way for as long as I know.

I once signed out a Ford Station wagon that was hit while I had it and they wanted me to pay for it. Fortunately witnesses that saw the event (both civilian and military) cleared me of any wrong doing.

In this case it was just a paper error that the media is trying to make a big deal out of it, when it is not. I am sure they will get the matter cleared up on review and he will not have to pay for it, that is assuming everything he has said is the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Also being discussed in this (closed) thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Disgraceful. I think the plan now is to start charging soldiers for any ammunition that doesn't kill the intended target.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
That is sad... I wont be surprised if the CDN dollar beats the US dollar soon.

new topics

top topics

join