It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher suspended after calling student "NIGGA"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
vid

Keysean Chavers is a freshman at Valley, a Boy Scout, a football player, a member of the ROTC, an honor roll student. He was hanging around his teacher’s classroom door in December. The teacher, Paul Dawson, told him to sit down. Dawson says Keysean used the word first.

“I was just kind of stunned for a second and I said, 'Well then, get away from the door, niggaz.' I repeated the same insult because that was sort of what I was trained to do.” The school district says that’s not what they trained Dawson to do. “He tried to say I said it and I didn't say it and no one else in the class said I said it, because I didn't,” says Keysean.

This guy seems harmless enough. I'd bet it's for his own protection.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
He said, he said. Who to believe? If the teacher did use the term, he should be made to attend "Diversity Training"

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Is it just me or is it weird that they sent a black reporter in to interview this guy?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i disagree with them both using the word. if the N word is bad nobody should be saying it. you cant have a double standard. it was wrong for them both to be throwing around that language assuming the kid really did say it first.

a racist term is a racist term IMHOP.

if the kid didnt say it first obviously it is still wrong.

Kind regards,
Digitalgrl

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I just don't understand how it's not a double standard inherently. It is considered acceptable for an black person to say "Hey 'n-word', what's happening?" But if a white person were to say the same thing, they'd better be running because it's "insulting coming from a white person."

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Look at this guy, he didn't mean anything by it. It was his vain attempt at being cool and hip. I honestly think that if they didn't suspend him, there would be too much uproar and hubub. In addition, someone would have probably beaten him up really badly, probably still would.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

UnMature
posted on 7-2-2006 at 06:12 PM
I just don't understand how it's not a double standard inherently. It is considered acceptable for an black person to say "Hey 'n-word', what's happening?" But if a white person were to say the same thing, they'd better be running because it's "insulting coming from a white person."

It's because the word has been drafted to the black team. For so long 'n-word' has been used in a durogatory way towards black people. At some point, we bacan to call ourselves nigga (same word by the way). Now it has come to represent friendship and brotherhood. The problem is, when white people use it in the durogatory way, it's bad for obvious reasons. When it is said by a white person in the sense of friendship, it's almost as insulting. After what white people have done for so many generations, how dare you try to use that word in friendship. That's how I've always felt, others may disagree

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Raso,

i know exaclty what you are saying. i think it is insulting when a white person says it..im not denying that.

i just think that saying the N word makes you sound ignorant whether you are white or black.

i mean i would never think of going up to one of my german ancestors and saying "whats up nazi" in friendship LOL i mean it just sounds like i dont know what the hell the history behind it is.

and i certainly wouldnt go up to one of my native american ancestors and say "whats up my savage!" or call them an "indian giver" using racial terms whether it be between your own race or another just makes you sound ridicuolous IMHOP. i can understand like if people are joking and whatnot but as a real term of inderment its just stupid.

and isnt it kind of racist for people to say that "this word" can only be used by blacks or whites. we want equality but we have racially designated terminology that if someone of the wrong color says it they get sued or beaten up. how about nobody says the word that way sorry old men like this one dont get confused

but i agree, i dont think this man meant any harm..but i can only speculate.

Kind Regards,
Digitalgrl

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

top topics

join