It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its official: U.N. Security Council gets report on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It’s starting people. We all know what’s coming, but today the first official steps have been taken. Next will be sanctions. If Iran makes good on its threats, it will block all oil leaving the gulf if sanctions are imposed. War of course would shortly follow.

If my gut is correct, Iran won’t back down and the events will progress quickly. MY revised timeline on a conflict with Iranis now 8-16 months from today.

CNN.com

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council formally received notification Tuesday about Iran and its nuclear program from the International Atomic Energy Agency, opening the door toward potential sanctions against Tehran.

The dispute centers on whether Iran wants nuclear capability for energy or arms.

Iran insists it has only peaceful nuclear ambitions but France, Germany, the United Kingdom and United States have expressed concern that Iran's nuclear activities could be aimed at acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Tuesday's letter from IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei to John Bolton, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and the current Security Council president, comes after the nuclear watchdog's weekend vote in favor of reporting Iran to the council.

See you in downtown Tehran...(figure of speech people, calm down)

mod edit, spelling per member request

[edit on 7-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Expect some major stalling tactics from Iran now. They've already realised it was a mistake saying the Russian enrichment plan was "dead in the water" - now they're saying it's still possible, thus giving Russia and China a reason to argue against sanctions and give diplomacy more time. They would be mad to burn all their bridges - instead they'll try and split the UN and create months and months of talking. I really can't see any military action on the horizon....not unless something happens to worry the US/Israel enough to take pre-emptive action.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I really can't see any military action on the horizon....[/quote[

Oh no? When the world says its not going to let Iran have nukes, I think they mean it. Especially when Isreal says it. There is no way Iran is ever going to give up their program without use of force. War maybe a year down the road, but its coming.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'd definitely put odds on it being sometime before 2008

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
But Iran aren't stupid - they're hardly going to do something that would result in the combined forces of the US and UN coming down on them. They'll probably settle for the Russian plan - this will take all the pressure from the UN off them and frustrate the US and Israel. Meanwhile, they can carry on developing their nukes in secret until it's too late for us to realistically do anything.

new topics

top topics

join