It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Mechanics - Let's teach the people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by T_Jesus
I'd prefer to do physics

Physics = Math with a story

Originally posted by T_Jesus
I remember the first upper level physics course I took - electromagnetic theory. I got the first test back with a 49%, and was all bummed out thinking I was either going to fail the course or be forced to withdraw. Turned out that 49% was a B, lol.

LOL! So true!!!

I was crapping my pants after my first biochem exam when I got a 58%, and then I realized the class average was a 52% giving me a B-.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama

Yes, I know differential equations and boundary value problems - but we went over all that stuff in Calc 2 as well. Perhaps that's why like 50% of the people who took the class failed it.

What you learn in p.chem is a bit different than what you learn in physics quantum mechanics, obviously. Either way, no one without a solid math background can understand everything that's implied. But, that's why people write books for the layman to read.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
"Physics = Math with a story"

Spoken like a chemist.

I liked my quantum mechanics class, though. The class average on the tests were in the low to mid 60s and I got in the 90s unscaled on those tests. T'was good - perhaps it was because at the time I was single and could focus more.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So is anyone teaching Quantum Mechanics ?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I realize this is rather an old thread, but I think I can help with a simple explanation of QM. Most accounts come from a physics point of view, so they explain very complex stuff like path integrals and hamiltonians. This is all good fun, but one can get a much clearer idea of what's going on by look at it in terms of computation. It still requires some linear algebra, but that's not too hard.

jimw.741.com... is just C&P from my master's thesis, so it might be a bit brief. Have a look if you're interested and let me know if you have any questions.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join