It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Design: Fundamentalism has no place in Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am sure you have all heard of the case of the school board of Dover, a small farming community in western Pennsylvania, becoming the first in America to adopt the theory of intelligent design. This case was defeated in court.

'After 40 days of trial, Judge John E Jones III ruled against the school board, stating: "We have addressed the seminal question of whether ID is science. We have concluded that it is not, and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents."'

www.bbc.co.uk...

It seems that the far christian right in America is adopting Intelligent Design as a backdoor, into schools to introduce religion into the schools system. In the Uk where I come from this simply would not be tolerated. I can accept it as being taught as philosophy, which it is.
TScience is the observation of something and drawing conclusions from it.
The ID theory actually explains nothing, all it does is refute evolution. It puts nothing in its place except an ID, but doesn't say how that might work.

Fundamentalism in any aspect should not be tolerated, this kind of action is no better than The Taleban in Afganhistan, emposing religious doctrine.
Church and State must be seperate.

What do you see as the benefits and or disadvantages of having intelligent design?

Is it right it should be taught as Science in Schools?
Should it be muted as a philosophy?

What do you think the effects of it will be for America and the world if it is left unchecked?

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others. – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well I livwe in Britain too and if intelligent desgn came over here I'd have to murdere very Christian within 2 miles, move to another country or kill myself.

I really cant believe that America is beginning at accept this sort of insane idea. I think they hould get the leaders of all sides and have one big argument in front ofa judge then the judge should give an overall ruling on whether id should be taught in schools. However if the IDs won I think wed be in store for the next dark ages,
'They dont embrace intelligent design, damn heathens, nukes away.'
That might as well be a quotwe although before it would have been burn them witches.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't believe this ID stuff to be fundamentalist at all, but rather a Trojan horse designed to placate the religious majority here in the US while still keeping God out of the curriculum. The US is unique in being the only western industrialized nation where the majority continues to cling to Christianity. Christian schools and home schooling have made significant inroads into public school dominance here. ID allows a middle way (the dialectic at work) where the Christians can be satisfied that evolution is not being taught exclusively, yet there is still room other beliefs. ID allows for the possibility of alien interference, eastern mystic concepts and much more. The effect will be to further marginalize Christianity IMO.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am a conservative. I am a Christian.

I hate Intelligent Design.

Evolution (as well as all the sciences) need to be taught in its pure form. If you learn NOTHING ELSE in an evolution class, except to notice something, think about it, and try to figure out why it is... then your teacher has succeeded.

new topics

top topics

join