It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a New Computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't really understand how the Internet works. On my computer now, I have a cable modem and some sort of wireless router which allows me to access the Internet from another computer in a different part of my house. The computer I'm using now, frankly, terrible and I'm interested in getting new one from Dell. If I bought a new computer and re-hooked up my modem and router to this new computer, would I still be able to access the Internet from both computers or are there more intricate and complex steps involved?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by maynardsthirdeye2]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
As long as all the cables are hooked back up the same way, you should have no problem at all with the internet on either computer

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
That's what I thought which is why I wondered why Dell is putting Internet access in my computer package and I am unable to uncheck it.

configure.us.dell.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Okay....first of all, i reallly wouldnt buy a dell unless its a high end xps. And like what everyone else said, if you plug the same cables in the same places you should have no problem. Just make sure theyre in the right places.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye2
... I wondered why Dell is putting Internet access in my computer package and I am unable to uncheck it.

If you're referring to the 6month AOL subscription, it's part of the package and probably one of the first things you would want to delete.
It's part of a bundled deal they have with several software companies and also one of the reasons I am not a proponent of "package" systems.

You might consider opting for the 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR2 memory to avoid having to "upgrade" in the near future.

Just some thoughts...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I would suggest avoiding the big name companies all together. I had a Dell Insprion 5100 laptop and pretty much the day after the warranty expired, it started crapping out on me. I then decided to build a custom PC with Monarch Computers and am extremley happy. True I had to drop 2500 total (top of the line components, LCD monitor, 3.1 Altec Lansing Speakers), but it is so worth it. If you need any help picking out what's right with a custom computer, send me a U2U and I'll be happy to guide you through the process.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If youre going for a good new computer, I'd go with a compaq or a Gateway. i have a compaq from like 02 and its still doing me very very well. Only thing modded in it was the graphics card. Now I have an ATI Radeon 9200. It also depends on what you want to do on your computer.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Truttseeker,

I have to mention that I have serviced more Compaq/HP systems for hardware failure than any other brand/make. Aside from power supply issues I find Dells to be more reliable overall, from a hardware standpoint that is.

Personally, I'm of the belief that you can always get a higher "build quality" when you do-it-yourself, plus you will save some $$$ as well.

Maynard,

Focus the majority of your expenditure on the power supply, motherboard, processor and memory(both quality and quantity). Those four components will ultimately determine the performance and overall capabilities of your system. Of course if your needs require top-notch graphics then that should be your next consideration. Hard drive size, CD/DVD, sound card, etc. are simply peripherals. Your needs/intended use will dictate overall requirements. In my opinion, this is where the "package" systems fail, or at least come up short.

Just my $.02 ... for now

[edit on 2/3/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Relating to my previous post:

Monarch Computers lets you spec out the computer of your dreams, or the computer of your budget. There are literally millions of different options you could use in building your computer, from case type, to cooling system, to CPU. They have excellent service and assemble, test, and ship you your computer. They are the best online service I have ever used

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

... I wondered why Dell is putting Internet access in my computer package and I am unable to uncheck it.

If you're referring to the 6month AOL subscription, it's part of the package and probably one of the first things you would want to delete.
It's part of a bundled deal they have with several software companies and also one of the reasons I am not a proponent of "package" systems.

You might consider opting for the 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR2 memory to avoid having to "upgrade" in the near future.

Just some thoughts...

Do you mean that one of the first things I should do when I get my computer is cancel the AOL subscription? I can't seem to be able to uncheck the damn Internet box. I have to choose either AOL or Earthlink. Is there any option on the Dell site where I can just create my own custom computer or can I only edit pre-existing computers?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
With any large companies such as DELL or Compaq you can only edit pre speced computers. For example. They provide you with Compaq Memory, you get to choose how big it is. When building a custom with a company you choose how many sticks, what brand, and how big your memory should be (along with all your other features).

Also, what he means by delete the AOL thing is when you get the computer from DELL (which I would reccomend against in the first place) you should delete AOL programs from your computer. The subscription is optional and will only be enacted when you enter your information when AOL prompts you for it.

Again I would be more than happy, in fact enthused, to help you through creating, or even specing out a custom computer. If you like you can spec out a computer and get a quote on how much it would be without commiting to anything through Monarch Computers. Send me a U2U and I'll help you out.

Making a custom computer was one of the coolest and most enjoyable technology related things I've done.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Do you mean that one of the first things I should do when I get my computer is cancel the AOL subscription? I can't seem to be able to uncheck the damn Internet box. I have to choose either AOL or Earthlink. Is there any option on the Dell site where I can just create my own custom computer or can I only edit pre-existing computers?

From a client's experience, they will remove certain bundled software but only after requests by phone[demanding].

Any pre-installed bundled software, such as the AOL/Earthlink subscription, amongst various other promotional software, can be readily removed at your leisure.

"Control Panel", "Add/Remove Programs"

You're not actually paying for/buying the service or bundled software, --!!-wait did I just say that-!!--, as it comes bundled per contractual obligations/agreements.

... and that's my problem with "package" systems. In a roundabout way you are still actually paying for much that you neither want nor will ever need/use.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
okay 12 person who pwned me awhile back, i gotta question. You seem pretty knowlegable about compaqs. Did compaqs come with ddr like all normal or did they have special compaq ram. Because i want to upgrade my ram to a dual gigabyte chip set. Plus I want to upgrade CPU's any ideas for an affordable one with at least 2.0 ghz power?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I don't really understand how the Internet works. On my computer now, I have a cable modem and some sort of wireless router which allows me to access the Internet from another computer in a different part of my house. The computer I'm using now, frankly, terrible and I'm interested in getting new one from Dell. If I bought a new computer and re-hooked up my modem and router to this new computer, would I still be able to access the Internet from both computers or are there more intricate and complex steps involved?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by maynardsthirdeye2]

connecting the cables back will not do it.

First of all you got a new computer that means a new network card in to it
that means a new mac address, most ISP (internet service providers)set up the firewall by a mac address, that means you must inform them of your new mac address for the internet to work at all.

New computer implicates adding the ip address, the dns and gate way for the network card.

3 If the computer routs the other then a internet connection sharing must be aplied.

The unpredictabe :shk:

Pluging the cables back in wont do it.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
okay 12 person who pwned me awhile back

Not intended I assure you, that's just been my experience.

Originally posted by truttseeker
Did compaqs come with ddr like all normal or did they have special compaq ram. Because i want to upgrade my ram to a dual gigabyte chip set. Plus I want to upgrade CPU's any ideas for an affordable one with at least 2.0 ghz power?

Please post your model # i.e. Compaq Presario ???

Your ability to upgrade the CPU and/or memory, as well as the extent possible, would be dependent on what your motherboard will support.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
With custom computers you can updrade nearly any part without much trouble at all
...sorry to be bashing all you brand name PC users, but the winds of change are blowing...BUILD YOUR OWN!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
...sorry to be bashing all you brand name PC users, but the winds of change are blowing...BUILD YOUR OWN!

UnMature,

While you have a valid point with regards to the benefits of "Building Your Own", and I agree, the topic posted by maynard is/was Buying a New Computer, not building one.

Not everyone is so inclined as to task themselves with building their own system from scratch, nor may they be technically prepared to do so. Actually, here in the states, the majority of the consumer market seem to prefer the off-the-shelf, out-of-the-box and go approach. It works for them.

Personally, I would encourage anyone to research their options and comparison shop for the best deal, with regards to what suits their needs. Not to simply look at it as, "Hey, that's a good deal." By doing so most would realize significant savings as well as more long-term satisfaction.

Just my $.02 ... for now

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

UnMature,

While you have a valid point with regards to the benefits of "Building Your Own", and I agree, the topic posted by maynard is/was Buying a New Computer, not building one.

Not everyone is so inclined as to task themselves with building their own system from scratch, nor may they be technically prepared to do so. Actually, here in the states, the majority of the consumer market seem to prefer the off-the-shelf, out-of-the-box and go approach. It works for them.

Personally, I would encourage anyone to research their options and comparison shop for the best deal, with regards to what suits their needs. Not to simply look at it as, "Hey, that's a good deal." By doing so most would realize significant savings as well as more long-term satisfaction.

Just my $.02 ... for now

Yes i agree with you, most of the people will call for customer suport if something hapens.
One might be good in astrology or science one might be good in computers nothing to be ashame for.
Plus upgradeing go's to a point where you have to change everything so some times it's good to buy a new shiny computer but i would pay atention whats inside , the fact that it says dell on it is not enough.

There is no such things as dell computers whats inside isnt dell

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sry for not posting my model sooner, Im usually on top of things like that, just having a really busy day. My PC is a Compaq Presario 6000.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
With custom computers you can updrade nearly any part without much trouble at all

Sorry that I was unable to respond to your U2U but there is some rule of not being able to send messages until you have posted twenty times. Thanks for the offer of help in helping me choose a custom computer but I think I know what I want. Thanks anyway!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join