It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying a New Computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye2
I don't really understand how the Internet works. On my computer now, I have a cable modem and some sort of wireless router which allows me to access the Internet from another computer in a different part of my house. The computer I'm using now, frankly, terrible and I'm interested in getting new one from Dell. If I bought a new computer and re-hooked up my modem and router to this new computer, would I still be able to access the Internet from both computers or are there more intricate and complex steps involved?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by maynardsthirdeye2]

connecting the cables back will not do it.

First of all you got a new computer that means a new network card in to it
that means a new mac address, most ISP (internet service providers)set up the firewall by a mac address, that means you must inform them of your new mac address for the internet to work at all.

New computer implicates adding the ip address, the dns and gate way for the network card.

3 If the computer routs the other then a internet connection sharing must be aplied.

The unpredictabe :shk:

Pluging the cables back in wont do it.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by pepsi78]

I knew it couldn't be that easy. Why can't just one thing be simple to do?

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Maynard,

Actually, it is.

What pepsi78 is referring to would only apply if your computer was directly connected to a Cable/DSL modem, if even that.

If your computer is/was/will be connecting thru a router, simply do the following. 1) Turn off and unplug your modem (cable/dsl). 2) Turn off and unplug your router. 3)Connect the network cable (CAT5) to your PC. 4) Plug in and turn on the modem (cable/dsl), wait 2 minutes. 5) Plug in your router, wait 1 minute. 6) Turn on your computer. Your computer will pull an IP from the router (i.e. 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, etc.).

If you have any more questions regarding the upgrade(s) for your system, please feel free to ask.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Maynard,

Actually, it is.

What pepsi78 is referring to would only apply if your computer was directly connected to a Cable/DSL modem, if even that.

If your computer is/was/will be connecting thru a router, simply do the following. 1) Turn off and unplug your modem (cable/dsl). 2) Turn off and unplug your router. 3)Connect the network cable (CAT5) to your PC. 4) Plug in and turn on the modem (cable/dsl), wait 2 minutes. 5) Plug in your router, wait 1 minute. 6) Turn on your computer. Your computer will pull an IP from the router (i.e. 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, etc.).

If you have any more questions regarding the upgrade(s) for your system, please feel free to ask.

Depends on what type of ruter .
Most ruters routs the ip you have on the network card.
Most isp will only alow computers by mac adress if the mac address is not the same the fire wall will not let you access the internet, of course the fire wall on the server side not your fire wall. this is done to prevent haking in to the sistem, it does not have to do with the router, it is done so you can access your internet acount only from a specific computer.
Depends on how the isp configures the server.
If it alows you to access by ip or by mac.
A isp network that grabs ips on auto ip addess can create confusion on the network if the network is big it can wait for a long time to find a ip address
suitable for you, that is why this is not pratice by is providers usualy.
Usualy a static ip is asign to your computer, the best thing is call your service provider to find out.
How you can find out is note down your ip, shut the computer off open it again and see if it has a difrent ip address.
If it's the same then it's a static ip address and you need to add it manually.
For the mac address you will just have to call or you can try changeing your mac address and see if your intenet still works.

[edit on 4-2-2006 by pepsi78]

[edit on 4-2-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Just bite the bullet and buy the computer. Every computer bought from a manufacturer comes with all kinds of deals from productivity suites to internet access included. If you don't sign up for them, you don't have to worry about it. Somehow the system you have got hooked up by someone. You will have tech support and I'm sure you have more than a few tech savvy friends who can help. It's not that hard. Anyone can read a manual and plug in a few cables.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yea i would say the same buy the computer and if you have problems
with seting up the internet connection call customer suport they will come and fix the problem.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join