It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this Spider??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   
cybertroy is correct...it is a cellar spider.

Cellar Spiders

Cellar spiders are frequently found in dark, damp places such as cellars, basements, crawlspaces, and outbuildings. They typically construct a loose, irregular-shaped web in a dark corner. Cellar spiders continually add to their web, which can result in extensive webbing. The male and female live together in a web and can be found hanging upside down in it. They shake the web violently when alarmed. Cellar spiders can quickly establish large populations in a structure.

Cellar spiders have very long, slender legs (up to 2 inches long). Their body is about 1/3 inch long and pale colored (whitish-yellow to gray). They are sometimes confused with daddy-long-legs.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by antipigopolist
cybertroy is correct...it is a cellar spider.

< -- image snipped -->

Pholcus phalangioides. These are common and widespread spiders, harmless enough, unless you are another spider of course ...

That's a great picture too you found there too antipigopolist.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
Are you sure your not refeering to wolf spiders? Sounds like we live near each other. Anyways im no expert on spiders I was just trying to help.

Ya definetly NOTwolf spiders!!

Here is an Aggressive house spider....(Funnel Spider)

I did not know they are the male version of the brown recluse? (Hobo Spider). I caught one once for my son, but after finding out they are Hobo's I am gonna kill it anytime I see one!

The Site I got the pic from

Here is some more info on them

Here is the wolf spider.....

I have never seen a wolf spider get more than 1 1/2" long here in the Northwest McGuirk, But I am sure it is possible.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My daughter was bitten by a spider a few weeks ago and the picture of the bite looks exactly like her bite did.
She had to take strong antibiotics for 2 weeks and alot of dr office visits. She's ok now but we were worried for awhile there.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
MagicaRose, sorry to hear that, My family has been pretty fortunate in not getting bit by one of these guys, I have heard that the venom can kill a small child, I think newborn to 1 year? I will have to see if I can get more info on that.
I try to keep the house protected as much as possible from all the bugs we get up here in the hills, really bad carpenter ant infestation last summer, hate those guys, probably been chewing on my house since '79.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
(double post)

[edit on 5-2-2006 by Toadmund]

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Here is a nice comparison:

Will the real "daddy-longlegs" please stand up?
That confusing term is used for all these widely different creatures: (left) a crane fly, Tipula sp.; (center) a pholcid house spider, Pholcus phalangioides;(right) a harvestman, Metaphalangium albounilineatum (one of many similar harvestman species).

And this looks like the black version of the wolf spider I see in atlantic Canada:

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I thought it might be a Cellar Spider.

Troy

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Does it bob up and down if you disturb it? Or does it just run off? If it does the former, I think it's a cellar spider, otherwise it's prolly a daddy long legs.

posted on Feb, 6 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dirtyrat5000
its a daddy longlegs. i got one above my computer now. it looks the same as the photo. also they can penetrate the skin with there fangs, they did a thing on mythbusters showing that they can although there bite is fairly weak.

I saw that episode and i'll vouch to daddy long legs but the fact that there is a web kind of turns off the DLL possibilty because for the most part they are hunters that stalk prey.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ugh I can't stand spiders and I had no idea those quick moving spiders you find in your house had a name (agressive house spider). They're agressive alright. The wolf spiders we get around here(southern ontario)...which are probably just funnel web spiders(agressive house spider), are extremely slender and also move quick, but are much smaller than most wolf spiders. I swear those spiders can move at mach 1 at least!

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustintheWind
Not sure if this is where I post this at but I need some help in identifying this spider I found while crawling around under my house, There were tons of webs but only a few of these buggers, I have looked at lots of sites but cannot seem to find any info. I would like to know if it is these that are biting us at night while sleeping.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a photo I snapped of it....(the best I could get)

I'm a 110% sure that's a cellar spider. Real common over here in southern California. They look like daddy long-legs (which are arachnids but NOT spiders), but daddy long-legs don't spin webs and their physiology is quite different upon close inspection.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join