It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Mind? To what degree?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When it comes to conspiracies, the paranormal and other topics discussed on this website it seems that there are two schools of thought: Remain skeptical and question everything, believing nothing without proof and; Being open to all possibilities until disproven. Despite the strong polarity of these two schools of thought, I somehow seem to be enrolled in both. How can that be?

Science seems to be a classic example of the consequences of closed-mindedness. Its seems that with every discovery, rather than gaining more knowledge, scientist realise they know less and less. I have always had the gift/curse of bing easily convinced of almost anything with little or no proof. I believe that you can gain much more knowledge and wisdom by remaining open to all possibilities. However some might also say that makes me gullable and perhaps they're right. Oddly enough, I also concur to the notion that you should question everything and accept nothing on face value. Does this mean I'm actually closed-minded? What if being open-minded also means that I am open to the possibility that any information I come across may also be a fabrication, hoax or cover-up?

Are there degrees to how open-minded you can be, and if so is there an ideal level to reside at to ensure maximum spiritual growth?
Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
Remain skeptical and question everything, believing nothing without proof and; Being open to all possibilities until disproven.

I thought this was all one school of thought. Being open to all possibilities, but not believing anything until it is proven. I think that pretty much describes the modern conspiracy theorist. An open-minded skeptic.

(I'm new at this, but) Studying conspiracy doesn't mean grasping on to every conspiracy that comes along as true and something to be believed without proof, but questioning with a skeptical but open mind every aspect of a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
an open mindedskeptic wow that sounds like me but maybe skeptic is just a little harsh. well i guess i am just open minded .oh and maybe indecisive

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It's both states of mind combined. I tend to believe stuff quickly, but then I go back and question things. I guess I'm an open-minded skeptic too.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Being open minded does not equal being stupid. Open minded people were once laughed at for thinking the world was round. Open minded people were persecuted for thinking the Earth was not the center of the universe.

Open minded people also believed the world would end at the stroke of midnight on the year 2000. Open minded people still believe it will end on 12/21/2012.

Being open minded does not mean you are right or wrong, it just means your not counting anything out until its proven otherwise.

Just my thoughts,

Wupy

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There is an optimum balance between open-mindeness and skepticism. Too open-minded and you become gullable and believe everything. Paranoia takes over. You find it difficult to distinguish between fact and fiction. Too skeptical and you inhibit yourself from growing spiritually, as you cannot accept anything which you cannot sense conventionally. Question everything, but don't be afraid to replace proof with faith, because if you do life will pass you by. Conversely, be open to all possibilities, including the possibilities of hoaxes and deceptions. Easy to say, difficult to carry out.

Just my opinion of course.

top topics

join