It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some questions on Catholicsm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I seem to take exception to your ill-considered comments about the priests, the sacred holy men of the catholic church. Not for my sake. My life is in no one's hands but God's, and if you perceive that as a complex, then so be it. To defame or defile the holy ones of any religion is to ask destruction yourself, imo.

Granted, there is a scandal in the church's priesthood, and when the truth does finally come out, I believe it will astound even the harshest critics. In the meantime, I can care less what you would take or leave of me.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I seem to take exception to your ill-considered comments about the priests, the sacred holy men of the catholic church. Not for my sake. My life is in no one's hands but God's, and if you perceive that as a complex, then so be it. To defame or defile the holy ones of any religion is to ask destruction yourself, imo.

Most of them are neither sacred nor holy. My life is in no one's hands but God's as well. A complex? What are you talking about? It's quite simple really....not complex at all. Religions try to make it complex and bury it in their religious jargon and crap. I'm not defaming holy ones, I am defaming non-holy ones posing as holy ones...I'm defaming liars and con-artists posing as holy ones...False Prophets pal. A priest that molests and sodomizes small boys is not a holy man....he is a criminal and should spend the rest of his life in jail. And he was never holy and never had a calling....

So again...save your preaching for your family....doesn't work for me. But good luck with it.....You are completely blind to the total amount of corruption going on in the Catholic church right now...it is disgusting. If you don't see it, it is because you are blind and in denial.

Destruction of myself??
Quite the opposite friend. I have myself quite together and live every day with the serenity of my faith!!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Who is Jack Chick and what exactly is a "tract?"

www.catholic.com...

Jack Chick is a freak who hates everyone who isn't a
militant christian fundamentalist.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   

A priest that molests and sodomizes small boys is not a holy man
....he was never holy and never had a calling....

So ... less than one tenth of one percent of priests in the past
100 years have been pedophiles who used the church as a
vehicle to get to victims ... and so now NO Priests are holy or
called by God to serve??

That's rather extreme.
Statistical science doesn't back up your statement.

However, if you feel that NO ONE at all is called by God to
serve Him ... then that's different. Then you are making a
blanket statement of everyone and you aren't just an
anti-Catholic bigot. (or are you??)

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   

So ... less than one tenth of one percent of priests in the past
100 years have been pedophiles who used the church as a
vehicle to get to victims

Your figures are way off. This may be the amount we have found out about, but the problem is far larger and more rampant....and people in the Catholic church are in massive denial of this truth. Even Pope JP II hid this truth!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

A priest that molests and sodomizes small boys is not a holy man....he is a criminal and should spend the rest of his life in jail. And he was never holy and never had a calling....

I agree completely with this statement, and as I said, the church in the US has a problem, mainly to do with Shanley and Law, and you are helping the fallout from the fallen few taint the many that are dedicated and holy.

You are completely blind to the total amount of corruption going on in the Catholic church right now

No, I am not. And I'm not in denial, either.

I am not a member of the RCC, but I am catholic, and I know a distortionist when I read one.

Maybe you should have Warren Zevon "Send the Envoy", with "Lawyers, Guns, and Money", before the "Werewolfs of London" get loose, because you are just an "Excitable Boy". (just funnin' witcha)

I have myself quite together and live every day with the serenity of my faith!!

I'm happy for you, pal, and may this blessed state continue unabated throughout eternity, my friend.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Funny how things run together sometimes. The front page, top story in my local paper this morning is, "Married cleric ordained Catholic priest." What do you know about that?

from link below
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - A former Episcopalian priest who converted to Catholicism became the first married cleric ordained in the Diocese of San Bernardino under an unusual provision.

As his wife and two children looked on at Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral, Gregory Elder was ordained into the Roman Catholic clergy Friday through a rarely invoked exemption to Canon Law called the Pastoral Provision.

"I'm humbled, it's an honor, and only God could have made this happen," Elder told The Associated Press. "I didn't leave the Episcopal Church because I was mad at them. I wanted to join the church of history. I love my Episcopal friends."

Married, ex-Episcopalian ordained a Catholic priest in California

Perhaps this priest, and his story, could shed some much needed light on our discussion.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
And the conspiracy is WHERE?
I swear, if you all don't stop posting in the wrong forum, the world is going to run out of cute little puppies and kittens.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Ah, Mr. Crowne. I tried to bring in the conspiracy angle here,

o.p. by me
In fact, from a conspiracy perspective, an outside entity seeking to undermine the church's influence could easily direct "many perverts and pedophiles (to) join the priesthood in hopes" of indulging their true natures and discrediting the church in the process. Think about it. Stranger things have happened, and the timing, nature and orchestrated snowball effect of the RCC-sexual abuse scandal in the US could easily make one suspicious

but E.B. didn't seem to want to discuss that angle, as he, and those with his viewpoint, were too busy projecting their phobias, or directing their derision, on what are, for the most part, men of God. My appreciation goes out to Flyers Fan for likewise stepping in.

Who am I to suggest that God may expect accountability from us for our words and actions? Just a humbled, wannabe servant, trying to understand, and practice, the law.

I do come across kind of harsh sometimes, though, don't I?

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Your figures are way off. This may be the amount we have found out
about, but the problem is far larger and more rampant....

You are assuming and projecting. The figures are correct.
You can't inflate figures based upon your assumption and projection.
THOSE inflated figures based upon assumption and projection
would be the figure in error... not the figure that is known to be
true.

and people in the Catholic church are in massive denial of this truth

Actually, it's the people within the Catholic church who see the
truth of the situation and are pushing the clergy to make changes.
It's the top clergy - the bishops and rome - that refuse to see the
truth of the situation. The truth is that some pedophiles have
gotten into the priesthood and that the church aided them by
claiming that there wasn't a problem, sticking their heads in the
sand, and not helping the flocks that they are supposed to be
helping.

Part of the problem of John Paul II in this was his upbringing.
When he was young, he had the German Nazi's all around.
They persecuted priests and regular street people by falsely
accusing them of being homosexuals. This was how the Nazis
were able to get rid of people they didn't like .. false accusations
of homosexuality. This is why when people went to PJPII and
told him of the problem, he didn't believe it. Later on ... It is my
personal belief that those in charge (Ratzinger) didn't go and
tell him. In those later years PJPII was too ill and couldn't do
anything about it even if he believed it.

This brings up to the issue of Papal retirement ......
I never believed it was necessary before. Now I'm
reconsidering my position on the matter. Retirement
is possible. It was done once before many hundreds
of years ago. It needs to be seriously addressed
in Rome. PJPII was a good man but he couldn't keep
a handle on the pedophiles that infiltrated the Church.
He needed to be able to do that ... and he couldn't.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
And the conspiracy is WHERE?

Wanna' move this down to BTS religion forum?
It's where it belongs ... at least that's my thought.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

the church in the US has a problem,

Not just the US...it's happening all over the world....in Australia for instance. It's as rampant there as it is in the US....and again, it's happening all over the world in the RCC....that's a fact!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Excitable Boy said:

I have hubris? Where does "You may find your words taste good, and go with your suffering like bread with wine" come from? Who here suffers from hubris?

Often times I find that with a lot of religious people there seems to be a measured amount of intolerance for folks who do not accept the standard built up dogma and feel the need to save someones soul in order to save their own.

As a result, it has the opposite effect than intended, it turns people away in droves, like me.

If there is a god, he wants us to live our lives and be happy.

To be fruitful and to multiply, well, ain't just a bit old fashioned, see back in those old days infant mortality rates were much higher and people lived in agricultural communities where more kids meant more farm help etc.
But today, we have too many people, use some birth control for Chrisakes!
It ain't helping!

Personally, I feel uneasy around devoted people, and quite frankly I find a lot of them to be not very intellectually minded, not all of them, just a higher percentage than the secular population.

I think if the Christ was to return, it would be a good time because religion needs a serious update and makeover.
Jesus needs to get out his holy shovel and get to work on all that BS that has been accumulating in his name.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Maybe it is as simple as this, which also applies to our anti-grav discussion in another thread, Toadmund: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction!

How's that for an intellectual melding of religion and science for your Sunday morning, or whatever time and day it is where you are?

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

E.B. didn't seem to want to discuss that angle, as he, and those with his viewpoint, were too busy projecting their phobias

Projecting my phobias? What phobias might that be? I'm stating facts which have nothing to do with phobias. Nice try though!

The truth is the truth. Phobias? Seems like you have a phobia: Fear of the truth!! Peace!!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I said or (which is exclusive) directing their derision. I guess it was the latter, as you don't have any phobias, do you E.B.?

Peace to you as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join