It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal vocals: Disaster strikes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I've been performing (musically) since the age of thirteen (just under five years). I've been the "frontman" (vocals and guitar) in about four bands and presently, I'm not in a band 'cause to be quite honest, the drummers and bassists round these parts aren't too good, apart from the drummer in my last band - he was kick arse.

I'm now working on a solo album and my voice doesn't seem to be up to it anymore. I can't aggressively sing for more than a minute without my throat really hurting. Back in the day, I remember after my first ever gig, I had grown men coming up to me telling me how impressed they were with my vocals and now it's just gone.

I haven't really done much, vocally, for a long time (a year or so), is that the reason why my throat's hurting?

I would really appreciate some help from any vocalists out there on how to get my voice back to where it used to be.

I'll keep practising and hopefully see - well, hear - some improvement.

Thank you in advance.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Hello! I've just started to learn the guitar myself, wish I had more time to practice tho!

I've got a link to wikihow site which tells you how to sign with death metal vocals, I don't know if it will be of any help but it's worth a look.

Good luck with the bands, maybe you could post some songs up some time?

How to Do Harsh Death Metal Vocals

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, man.

Ahh, guitar is easy after a while. When I started learning (Im self taught), I locked myself in my room for about five hours a day and practised my arse off. Five years later, I couldn't be happier with how much I've progressed.

When you can play the guitar solo on Metallica's 'One', the entire Midian album by Cradle of Filth and the whole of Master of Puppets by Metallica, you know you're on to something.
Yeah, I like boasting.
But hey, why not. Just keep practising and be patient. Don't rush into the deep end, just learn some basic chords. If you need any help with it, just contact me.

As for the vocals, I know how to sing aggressively (well, death-metal vocals aint really my style. I meant more like Howard from Killswitch Engage), it's just the fact my throat gets really, really sore. I seem to have lost the ability to do it safely. But thanks anyway.

Can I ask what guitar(s) you have?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Once I get a song completely finished (mixed, etc.) I will post it on BTS.
I dunno whether or not to sell it... I'll definately send it to some record labels.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Quick update:
My voice is back and better than ever! Let recording commence!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Heres a few of the guitars I have lying about. The Jacksons are mine, the Ibanezs are my stepdad's.

The black one is from the 80s . The strat look-alike one has it's fretts scalloped from 12 onwards.

One thing, I can't stand any new singers. Especially the metal ones. I mean, Dio and Bruce Dickenson etc were great, but these days its all about screaming as low and loud as you can. Its terrible.

Anyway, thats enough of me ranting...

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Man, I'm loving those Ibanez'. Is that a Steve Vai signature I see? Ibanez guitars are my weapon of choice, apart from one B.C.Rich. I've never used a Jackson before, but they are damn nice. I wouldn't mind a Jackson KVX10.

Yeah, I agree about the metal vocalists these days. Which is why my music isn't just "RAHHH!! RAHH!" its very melodic, yet heavy. I sing in my songs, too. I can't stand music that's constant shouting, etc.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yep. The one in the middle is a 10th aniversary Vai Jem. AMAZING guitar...

Music has become so unmusical these days... lol.

Heres the proper metal singers:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Have you heard any of Bruce's solo work?
It's amazing, I was blown away when I heard "abduction".

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
To answer your original question, you're out of practice. You need to take it easy, and ween yourself back into the really aggressive stuff. Just like you said about guitar, the more you practice the better you'll get.

What are you using to record/mix yourself. Like you, I hope to have some of my music prepaired and posted on here.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well, the software I'm using is Cubase SX2 and I'm using a Behringer C-1 condenser microphone.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Thanks for the link, man.

When you can play the guitar solo on Metallica's 'One', the entire Midian album by Cradle of Filth and the whole of Master of Puppets by Metallica, you know you're on to something.
Yeah, I like boasting.
But hey, why not. Just keep practising and be patient. Don't rush into the deep end, just learn some basic chords. If you need any help with it, just contact me.

Can I ask what guitar(s) you have?

Metallica's One is a great song! I'm trying to learn the intro for that at the moment. Took you 5 years to learn? that's not to bad, I'm self taught aswell and try to practice as much as possible

I've got a copy of a fender as I couldn't afford the real thing, but it does the job. I've also purchased a Boss DS1 Distortion pedal and a Electro Harmonix Small Clone Pedal.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
"One" is a legendary song

Well, I've been playing for five years, I think I learnt my first song after about a month or so. Can't really remember...

Good luck with your guitar playing, it really is a damn good instrument to learn, and it's even better when you can say you're self taught.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Bruce Dickinson is truly a great vocalist. His solo work is really quite amazing. I love listening to an orchestral version of "Tears of the Dragon" that is out there. Bruce's vocals are excellent.

Of course, when one lists heavy metal vocalists, it would be difficult to exclude "the Scream", Rob Halford of Judas Priest and a number of solo efforts. Rob's vocals, in my opinion, define heavy metal.

I heard a rumor that Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford and......well, I can't recall the third vocalist planned to unite in a group called "Trinity". I don't know whether this project has really gone past the "what if" stage but it would be amazing to hear. I know that Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford did record at least one song together, "The one you love to hate". It's an amazing song and the vocals were excellent. Bruce and Rob both have a tremendous range and they truly complimented each other on that song.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What style of vocals did you sing before xeroxed88??

I am currently in 2 bands i am vocals for both bands but i play guitar and sing in band:
Certified Dead:The style for this band is death metal ala Mortician so the style isnt really growling its muffled i guess so what i do is just crank up the mic vol to about 6-7 so that the vox are lower thanthe guitar level, then just squint my lips and sing.

The other band Brainspill is different cos i am just the front man so i have the the power of my voice and also we do different styles of metal so my vocla style go from Barny Greenway style to an attempt at Bruce Dickinson singing although i cant really pull the latter off but hey i live inb Hong Kongand not many ppl no who Iron Maiden are so it dont matter i sound stupid.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
What style of vocals did you sing before xeroxed88??

In my first band, it was just all-out growling, then I started practising my vocals more and realised I could actually sing, so I do both now.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I pretty much vary my vocal style but interchanging during a song makes my throat bloody hurt.

You check out Napalm Deaths' song Infiltrator or the other songs on that album cos Barny does some actual singing!@

new topics

top topics

join