It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anything really FINITE??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
hi

i was having a deep conv. with my buddy, like usually, when we brought up the universe and its infinateness. To make this short, here are some points:

1. it is impossible for the universe to go on forever, our minds refuse to comprehend it. if you start thinking of an end, say a wall, or a wrinkle or something that "word wraps" you back to the "beginning" of the universe. if this were so, WHAT IS OUTSIDE THE WALL???

2. if everything is indeed infinite, wouldnt that be in both directions?? is there a negitive 3rd dimension??? and what "3D" word could possibly describe the fourth dimension? hight, width, depth, and... inwardness?

3. if you look at an atom and electrons and all that junk, you notice all that crap revolves around a center. what if that is the universe's infinit-ness? i explained that crappy:

what if our universe is a nucleus? now, really think about that. hard. its completely mind boggling!! and to think it gets infinately bigger in the same manner.

ill post some other thoughts later.. cuz i have these conversations almost every day. haha. let me know what you think..

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seperate body from mind
1. it is impossible for the universe to go on forever,

Whether the universe is infinite in some sense or not, no-one knows, but I can't think of any reason that's impossible.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by seperate body from mind
1. it is impossible for the universe to go on forever, our minds refuse to comprehend it. if you start thinking of an end, say a wall, or a wrinkle or something that "word wraps" you back to the "beginning" of the universe. if this were so, WHAT IS OUTSIDE THE WALL???

Its not impossible. Just as you said, our minds just refuse to comprehend it because our minds cannot comprehend it.
If the universe is infinite there is no wall because a wall defines boundaries.

2. if everything is indeed infinite, wouldnt that be in both directions?? is there a negitive 3rd dimension??? and what "3D" word could possibly describe the fourth dimension? hight, width, depth, and... inwardness?

Concepts like direction, border etc dont make sense when talking about the infinite.
I recommend a book to satify your curiosity: "Flatland: A romance of many dimensions." Also check out some literature on hypercubes.

what if our universe is a nucleus? now, really think about that. hard. its completely mind boggling!! and to think it gets infinately bigger in the same manner.
You're trying to give me a headache arent you?

If the universe is infinite it cant be the nucleus but contain the nucleus...whatever that may be.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
the only thing i know for sure to be finite is life on Earth... has to everything else ... good questions... but i doubt anyone really knows... even Scientist ..they only have their theories... but noone ever went to the "Un-End " of the Universe ...so who knows...

top topics

join