It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA agent living in Australia tells of Secret Vault under Canberra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is a quote from a former NSA operative who moved to australia 1n 1973.

Nation Review (AU) 1973

QUOTE:

there's a pretty big NSA outfit in the vaults and tunnels under the Canberra embassy, guarded by US marines.

Canberra is a major overseas coordinating centre for Pacific and Indian ocean stations.

Maybe a hundred people are employed in this work -- officially they'd be called embassy code clerks and things like that.

The work done in Canberra is similar to much of what's done at Pacific HQ at Helemanu on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
It's inconspicuously situated in the middle of some pineapple fields.

Full Story:

jya.com...

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I dont think it be possable.I live in australia and I've seen the U.S. embassy in Canberra,the place is guarded by rent-a-cops for crying out loud.I didnt see a marine at all.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The incumbent government of the time (Labor's Whitlam government) was removed two years after this report in part for its level of opposition to US abuse of diplomatic privileges to engage in hard core espionage. The aqlleged CIA involvement in this is interesting to anyone who thought it was just GG Kerr applying to her majesty to dissolve both houses of parliament.

I've been in the US Embassy in Canberra.

It is quite plausible to have 100 people working in downstairs vaults, but I think largely unnecessary.

I take the report with a grain of salt, but I don't dismiss it at all.

deadman, 1973 was a long time ago, with a different political climate altogether.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
MaskedAvatar.

Thanks.

You saved me the trouble of having to point out this is an article from 1973. (30)-years ago. !

A lot would have changed since then.

At the time of this NSA officers report the CIA were actively infiltrating the australian unions in an attempt to bring down the Whitlam government.

Whitlam wanted to close down pine gap, and the american gov wanted whitlam out, and a new australian gov installed.

It looks as though they got there way. ??

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Its possible that the Embassy could have moved after that. A lot of Embassys were built after the 1983 Beirut bombing in the ugly concrete style. For example, the US Embassy in NZ used to be in the middle of the buisness district, now it is elsewhere.

I dont want to talk about the US Embassy to NZ too much though, so please dont ask anything else about it.

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Appologize for shifting off topic here and this may have been covered before in the many pages of ATS, but what have you people heard about Australia becoming the new capital and control centre for many westerners after the coming predicted calamities?

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   
QUOTE:

Whilst the only actual direct piece of evidence of CIA involvement in the 1975 Dismissal comes from Chris Boyce (of "Falcon and the Snowman" fame) who claimed during his esponiage trial that the whole reason why he decided to start spying against the US was because of a misdirected CIA message he received at TRW's Black Room, which acknowledged the involvement of the CIA, there are other pointers.

The entire episode was very similar to that of the destruction of Allende's government in Chile in 1973.

Destabilisation was the new in word in the CIA at that time (although, they had used the concept in several operations in the 1950's) and Chile had taken the concept to new highs.

One of the CIA's head officers, James Angleton, who had been high in the CIA in 1973 and directely concerned with intelligence operations with Australia, complained to an Australian television interviewer about the "Attorney-General moving in, barging in, [this was the famous "raid" conducted by Lionel Murphy, the Attorney-General on the ASIO offices in Melbourne in 1973] we were deeply concerned as to the sanctity of this information which could compromise sources and methods and compromise human life.

The CIA, he said, seriously considered breaking intelligence relations with Australia.

You have to remember that Australia was a highly important part of the CIA's world-wide intelligence setup.

It has thousands of CIA employees stationed here and is a vital part of the early warning and nuclear war fighting system (how important was only revealed incidently during the Gulf War when Nurrungar grounds station which our government always claimed to have been there for "verification" was used to observe and report on Iraqi SCUD launches with its related DSP series satellite which is stationed over the Indian Ocean).

The three major bases on Australian soil, Pine Gap, Nurrungar and North-West Cape were all of very high importantance to the US during the 1960's and 70's.

www.sumeria.net...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:24 AM
link   
i've heard of some funny activities at the US embassy in canberra im australian but i heard of there being stairs downwards but it was protected by what looked like an extremely thick glass with steel reinforcing and after that there were american marines with m16's freaky

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Coup D'etat in Australia:

20 Years of Cover-Up

The security crisis reached its peak in early November 1975. In October, various Labor staff members, including those at the Prime Minister's department, began to look into foreign intelligence involvement in Australia, including the U.S. bases.

They received a tip about Richard Stallings, the head of Pine Gap between 1966 and 1968, during the base's construction. Whitlam heard that he was a CIA employee working under the cover of the U.S. Defense Department. In order to authenticate the information, the Prime Minister's Department asked the Foreign Affairs Department for its list of all CIA agents in Australia. Stallings' name was not on it. However, it came to Whitlam's attention that the Australian Defence Department kept a more comprehensive list. Richard Stallings appeared on that list.

Sir Arthur Tange, permanent head of the Defense Department, warned Whitlam that he (Tange) had a duty to inform the CIA that Whitlam knew the identity of one of its deep cover agents. Apparently Whitlam did not object. The CIA now knew what Whitlam was up to.

Full Story:

www.newdawnmagazine.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Funny how threads simply pop up.

join