It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown Now Takes Most Of Blame For Katrina Failures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ex-FEMA Director Micheal Brown, speaking at a conference of meteorologists, is now stating that he's taking most of the blame for the failures on the part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency in regards to Katrina.

www.usatoday.com
Former FEMA Director Michael Brown said Wednesday that he deserved much of the blame for the government's failures after Hurricane Katrina, saying he fell short in conveying the magnitude of the disaster and calling for help.

"I should have asked for the military sooner. I should have demanded the military sooner," Brown, a Guymon, Okla., native, told a gathering of meteorologists at a ski resort in the Sierra Nevada.

"It was beyond the capacity of the state and local governments, and it was beyond the capacity of FEMA," said Brown, former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Brown's remarks Wednesday stood in sharp contrast to his testimony at a congressional hearing in September, when he blamed most of the government's failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin — both Democrats.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Quite a change from what he said in September during the Congressional hearings. He put most of the blame on the State and Local Government stating that it was there responsibility to evacuate the people of New Orleans and the surrounding parishes. Now he's saying that FEMA is to blame for not evacuating these people.

Granted, I believe the Governer of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans do shoulder a lot of the blame, but I also believe FEMA failed quite a bit in its duties.

But, he'll "move on" as he has stated in the article, with not even a slap on the wrist. That's the nice thing about politics, you can screw up and walk away, and probably even get a pardon on your way out. The Governer and the Mayor will probably get the same.

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
www.indystar.com
www.boston.com
www.chron.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

MOD EDIT: Editing title.

[edit on 1/19/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

join