It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school plays Hitler anthem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:47 AM
link   
What exactly were they thinking?!? They should know Americans cannot think that deep. I am one I should know.

A high school band director has apologized for a halftime performance that included Adolf Hitler's anthem Deutschland Uber Alles and a student running across the field with a Nazi flag.

Grissom said his intention was a historical performance featuring the flags and music of the nations that fought in World War II. The show, titled "Visions of World War II," nearly caused a melee at Friday's football game at Hillcrest High School on Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year.

www.chron.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is a joke....right? No one can be that stupid....right?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
of a beast that continues to prance around like theres no tomorrow...

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Nope, afraid they are just that stupid.

"We were booed," Grissom said Monday. "We had things thrown at us. We were cursed."

Here's a more reputable source.

www.cnn.com...

And another...

abcnews.go.com...

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by uIVIa]

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   
while I frown upon his decision of program for halftime, I'm going to have to say that he didn't really do anything wrong. Let's face it, you can't have WWII without hitler, and he was doing a show on WWII. His biggest mistake was doing it on Rosh Hashanna. Heh. I'm not going to go any farther, cause then I'd get into some texan bashing, so Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
while I frown upon his decision of program for halftime, I'm going to have to say that he didn't really do anything wrong. Let's face it, you can't have WWII without hitler, and he was doing a show on WWII. His biggest mistake was doing it on Rosh Hashanna. Heh. I'm not going to go any farther, cause then I'd get into some texan bashing, so Peace.

Awww c'mon let's go ahead and bash some Texans!! After all they elected GW Bush Jr. as their Governor.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I agree with Loki , you cant have ww2 without Hitler. It sounds like people took his portrayal of the events the wrong way.......... he wasnt glorifying Hitler, he was just commenting on him, from what I read anyway.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hell, it's some little Texas town....I'd surprised they weren't applauded.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm from Germany and wanted to clear up something:
This is not the Hitler anthem, it's the German national anthem which is still like that, except they took out the forbidden part: "Deutschland ueber alles". Translated that would be: Germany over all other countries.
They don't play that part anymore since Hitlers death.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes, I was referring to the audience for which the show took place. We must put that in perspective. An American high school football game in rural Texas.

Take for example:
[An announcement over loudspeakers before the performance explained that the band was trying to do a "historical, accurate depiction of the event."]

I think what really did it though was the actual nazi flag. I have to assume from the outcome that not many recognized the anthem nor knew the german language. So here we apply the equation: "German" + "Nazi Flag" = "Hitler" = Emotion without Logic :and we can catch a glimpe.

It's good to see that Mark was all over it:
[Mark Briskman, regional director for the Anti-Defamation League, said his organization received many calls and e-mails expressing shock "that in 2003, this type of insensitivity would occur."

Briskman said he had a good conversation with Trull, Paris' superintendent, on Monday, and that the school district apologized.]

All I want to know is how does a district apologize?

District: A division of an area, as for administrative purposes.

"This arbitrary division of area apologizes."
That has got to mean something.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Paris, Texas: That's just a bit creepy don't ya think?

The spaceshuttle was umm "accidentally broken up" over Palestine, Texas.

:shudder:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
SHOCK!!!! HORROR!!!

US school plays German National Anthem.

If you didn't know Bush stands to attention while it's played when German dignitaries visit.

And Shroeder stands when the US National Anthem is played but that's not a story is it?

Bit like Wagner being banned by Israel when he was born before Hitler.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Hell, it's some little Texas town....I'd surprised they weren't applauded.

Heh, they are lucky they weren't shot dead on the spot.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   

This is not the Hitler anthem, it's the German national anthem which is still like that, except they took out the forbidden part: "Deutschland ueber alles". Translated that would be: Germany over all other countries

Youre correct, and beat me to it.

When i was stationed on Bitburg Airforce base in Germany, at retreat, we stood and saluted the German anthem first as the german flag, the host nation flag, was lowered, then, the Star spangled banner played as the US flag was lowered.

So, the music is still the same. Its actually a very pretty tune, I believe it was written by an Austrian? I remeber playing it in junior high as part of the band.

The words to it have changed, but the music is still the same.

I dont see what the big deal with the Nazi flag is tho, it is in texas after all. Do they even know how to spell Nazi there?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
in�sen�si�tive P Pronunciation Key (n-sns-tv)
adj.
Not physically sensitive; numb.
1.Lacking in sensitivity to the feelings or circumstances of others; unfeeling.
2.Lacking in responsiveness: insensitive to the needs of the customers...
3.Texans

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Feh.
didn't you know? playing german music makes you a nazi?

the flag was a little much.
they should have had a bookburning cerimony.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
im in a marching band (one of the best in the state of nebraska btw
) and using the flag of any nation in your halftime show is a big mistake. to much risk of controvesy. the other high school in my district is using the american flag in theire show and they have so many guidlines to follow from the NSAA and if they mess up theyll get dis qualified from the State marching compotition.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Everyone should fear the power of the jews.

We all must do what they say.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Everyone should fear the power of the bushes.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Everyone should fear the power of the jews.

.....blacks, jews, who's next?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join