It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking back internet Anonymity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My paranoia was lifted a little today when I saw that Kaos Theory has now released their attempt at the impossible. Anonym.OS uses hardened OpenBSD 3.8 OS, Privoxy - Tor, along with strong encryption.

It also does a number of tricks by default, like spoofing and altering TCP/IP traffic, and to an outsider it will look like a Windows XP pc. On top of everything else they tried to make it simple enough that anyone could take it to Starbucks and be running, no problem.

Sourceforge is hosting the new free, OS on CD and it already has over 100,000 downloads since its release Saturday.

Is it perfect?
No, from what I read, performance is currently lacking. But maybe with more work on open projects like this, one day surfers will be able to browse, post and email paranoia free and trouble free.

My hats off to those guys.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It sounds like a great concept. Perfect for tuff times when you need to stay low. I'm gonna burn it now.

edit:

Just tried at and it seems cool. I know it is an alpha and It is not exactly ready for the masses...

- Unable to login at certain sites/forums.
- DHCP doesn't work out of the box.
- Performance is horrible.
- The socks is very slow.
+ Keeps randomizing external ip.
+ Keeps randomizing mac adress.
+ X works out of the box together with Fluxbox.
+ Apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, Links and Gaim are ready for use.
+ Nice interactive configuration guide during startup.

However this may not apply to everyone. I will follow this project closely and I hope they fix the performance issues.

[edit on 2006-1-28 by bracke]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Here is a new "privacy app" that may help in tough times.

Put this one on a USB harddrive (flash/pen drive) and use it from any pc anywhere. It is also based using Onion routing/TOR, changes/spoofs IP's, encrypts, etc.

Its a bit slow, probably not 100% anon, but its free.

join