It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court to Decide if Police Can Barge in Unannounced

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
U.S. Supreme Court to Decide if Police Can Barge in Unannounced

NEW YORK - Forget the ongoing privacy debate over U.S. government spying on telephone conversations--soon you may not have the right to tell cops to wait until you open your door.

In a case involving a private citizen and police authorities of the Midwestern state of Michigan, a team of civil rights lawyers appeared before the Supreme Court this week to challenge the police practice of storming into homes to look for whatever they want as evidence of a crime.

The case was brought before the Court last year by Booker Hudson, a resident of the industrial city of Detroit. Hudson says he was arrested by several police officers after they broke into his home without any warning.

www.commondreams.org...

How close are we to being in a fascist state? Is there "anything" we can demand from our government?

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is indeed frighting, Not only are they trying to mark house with red stickers (reminds me of a certian 1930's goverment) and now there are trying to make it ok for the to just bust into your home.

Sounds a lot like Germany circa 1930's to 1940's.

Zintac

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Scary that other court are using the Mi Supreme Court decision.
If we lose our Fourth Amendment rights here we will lose all hope of privacy in this country.

BTW, I looked up this red sticker business...is this what you are refering to? Marking "party" houses and apartments?
www.kold.com...
I don't see this as the same issue.

You should be able to go to the place you live and be able to enjoy peace and privacy.
I wll be very curious how this plays out

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
not surprising looking at the state of the largest 'free' country in the world. the mantra is 'if you have nothing to hide, you MIGHT have nothing to fear.'
we are now a land of citizen suspects, being told that everything the govt does is for your own good...that there should be no line between an innocent person, a suspect and a criminal...they are all guilty untill they can pay to prove thier innocence. ( because the govt /police never make a mistake) the innocent citizen must pay to prove innocence when the govt/cops screw up..in court

what recourse is there when the govt brakes its' own law, makes up stuff as it goes along and can keep hidden, just about any info its wants simply by saying that it MAY be terrorist related or national security...

land of the free home of the brave...whatever!!!

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
- George W. Bush, Gridiron Club dinner, Washington, DC, March 2001.

AND MOST FITTING

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."

Hermann Goering, President of the Reichstag,
Nazi Party, and Luftwaffe Commander in Chief,
from Gilbert, G.M. (1947). Nurenberg Diary, New York: Signet

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Scary that other court are using the Mi Supreme Court decision.
If we lose our Fourth Amendment rights here we will lose all hope of privacy in this country.

BTW, I looked up this red sticker business...is this what you are refering to? Marking "party" houses and apartments?
www.kold.com...
I don't see this as the same issue.

You should be able to go to the place you live and be able to enjoy peace and privacy.
I wll be very curious how this plays out

As far as the Red Tagged houese. we all know Germany Started Marking Houses of Problems as well, Look at what they where doing to the Jews Befor WWII realy got started. I feel this is a very slippery slope, with no way to climb Back to the top.

Zintac

join