It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek: TNG - One ep at a time from a newbie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
G4 started showing ST:TNG from the beginning this week. I've been TiVoing them and will post my thoughts/reviews as I watch through the series.

First off, here's some background on me and Star Trek. I'm a fan of the original series and I got into Deep Space Nine. I never really watched TNG beyond the movies. I'm a Captain Kirk man all the way. Kirk is God. So, I decided to finally do the big TNG watch through. Here's my first installment:

1/2. Encounter at Farpoint (Parts 1 and 2) (originally aired 28.9.1987)
It's surprising how dated the show actually is. I remember at the time thinking how great the FX looked when I caught clips of it, but the set design and the overall effects are very very reminiscent of the original series, which is actually a plus for me! I'm a big believer in story over effects. Doctor Who is the pinnacle of good sci-fi storytelling, and yet also holds the award for worst special effects ever.

Sadly, this story kind of sucks. It works on the level of introducing a new ship, new crew, new title sequence... but as a story it certainly shouldn't have been a 2 parter. The ending is about as lame as you can get too. Giant jellyfish in love. I liked Q... found myself pulling for him to destroy the humans actually.

Data is the standout character already. He's by far the most interesting. Wesley Crusher, however, is already the most annoying thing on my TiVo! Riker didn't seem to know how to react to Troi, and it is interesting that there's a connection between them from the very beginning. Seeing them married in the movies, I'd assumed it was something that developed over time, but evidently there was a masterplan to have them hook up from ep 1.

I think the main problem with this one is it's written like a 60s episode with a distinctly 80s politically correctness added. This isn't surprising since it's written by D.C. Fontana and Gene Roddenberry. Maybe the best thing that happened to TNG was the death of the Great Bird of the Galaxy. It's got to get better than this quick!

The best thing about Encounter at Farpoint, beyond Q's performance, was the cameo by Dr. McCoy. It's kind of sad now since he's dead, but seeing give Data a hard time about being like a Vulcan was great even if he did use the term "boy" as punctuation a bit too much. I also liked Riker's reference to Pinoccio when he meets Data. I'm looking forward to seeing this aspect of Data's character explored further.

3. The Naked Now (originally aired 5.10.1987)
Another one co-written by D.C. Fontana and I'm not sure if she should've given up her secretarial work back in the 60s. It's awfully early in the series to do a sequel to an original series episode because it definitely begs a comparison, and the comparison ain't good for our new crew. The acting is painfully bad... I mean over the top painfully bad, and that goes for Patrick Stewart too. I know it's popular to slam ol' William Shatner for his acting and speak of Stewart in hushed Shakepearian "Ack-Tor" tones, but honestly Shatner out acts Stewart like nobody's business when you compare The Naked Time to The Naked Now.

This episode is basically a nothing story. 1) They get infected with the drunk virus. 2) They're all gonna die. 3) Dr. Crusher and her son save the day by coming up with a cure and reversing the tractor beam into a repulsor ray respectively. It's a good thing the 13 year old actually knows how the ship works, otherwise their "continuing mission" wouldn't last a fortnight.

That's all for now. I'll update this thread as I go. I promise this isn't a "slam TNG" thread. I'm just giving my honest opinions and unfortunately these first 3 episodes are pretty weak.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Im a Jean-Luc supporter all the way!

Anyway, I got the first season of TNG and enjoyed it a lot. Voyager is also my favorite btw, excellent characters and nice CGI.
The first 2 episodes were kinda strange, but I thought the worst part of them is the security officer. Cant remember her name (The same person you are speaking of?) but she is definately lame. She really ruins lots of episodes later on IMO.

Ill keep on your thread while you see the episodes.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Her name was Tasha Yar and I was so glad when they killed her off.

She was not a good actress.

And neither is Wimpy Wesley. Although, I liked him in the movie "Stand By Me".

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Her name was Tasha Yar and I was so glad when they killed her off.

She was not a good actress.

Agreed. But I didnt mention that in my post, since its a MAJOR spoiler, since he hasnt come that far in the series obviously!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Agreed. But I didnt mention that in my post, since its a MAJOR spoiler, since he hasnt come that far in the series obviously!

Ooooooooooh. I am so sorry!

Well...at least we gave the viewers something to look forward to!

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer

Ooooooooooh. I am so sorry!

Well...at least we gave the viewers something to look forward to!

Definately! (Although you could edit your post, i would do the same)

But oh god.. I hated her from episode 1... Sooo annoying she is...:bnghd:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was a trek fan in my youth. I remember watching TNG when it first came out(I was six). Q and DATA are by far the most interesting characters of the entire series. Pesley I agree was by far the most annoying. But hey back then every series needed an immature einstein. Worf was a pretty cool character. Doctor Crusher was a shrill. And Picard is no match for Kirk.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
I was a trek fan in my youth. I remember watching TNG when it first came out(I was six). Q and DATA are by far the most interesting characters of the entire series. Pesley I agree was by far the most annoying. But hey back then every series needed an immature einstein. Worf was a pretty cool character. Doctor Crusher was a shrill. And Picard is no match for Kirk.

Hey, Picard he'll beat Kirks ass any day!

Worf was pretty immature in the early part of the series too you know. And Q.. Hmmm, dont know what I feel about him.. He seemed out of place at first. Maybe because he was introduced in the first episode.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

No way if Picard and Kirk got into it Picard would be all "lets talk I'm sure we can be friends" and Kirk would play along for a while but then Picard gets a Phaser in the back set to maximum no body to dispose of then.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

No way if Picard and Kirk got into it Picard would be all "lets talk I'm sure we can be friends" and Kirk would play along for a while but then Picard gets a Phaser in the back set to maximum no body to dispose of then.

But by that time Picard would know ALL about Kirk's plans, and have himself replaced by a robot/hologram!

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Kirk would seduce the hologram,and then discover Picards whereabouts then he would seduced Deanna Troy(not like thats difficult) and get her to assassinate Picard. Once again restoring peace to the Universe.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Kirk would seduce the hologram,and then discover Picards whereabouts then he would seduced Deanna Troy(not like thats difficult) and get her to assassinate Picard. Once again restoring peace to the Universe.

Honestly, I think that Q would step in if anyone were to mess with Picard.

I think that would make an awesome movie...Kirk vs. Picard in an all out battle for supremacy.

Storyline: Kirk and Co. are transported into the future and are given control of an identical copy of the USS Enterprise-E. But only one copy can exist. Picard and his Enterprise are sent with orders from StarFleet to destroy the "renegade" vessel.
Q intervenes eventually and just blows the carp out of both ships and tells them to stop acting like children and to grow up, lol

[edit on 4/20/2006 by Sir Solomon]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon
Honestly I think that Q would step in if anyone were to mess with Picard.

Possibly correct. I remember one episode when the crew were in the observation lounge and were discussing Q's interest in Picard as similar to that of a master and his beloved pet. I can see that I have a cute little feline named Molly and if anyone try's to mess with her

I think that would make an awesome movie...Kirk vs. Picard in an all out battle for supremacy.

That would be awesome the two greatest captains in Federation history going at it in the most powerfull ship(s) in the Federation

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Possibly correct. I remember one episode when the crew were in the observation lounge and were discussing Q's interest in Picard as similar to that of a master and his beloved pet. I can see that I have a cute little feline named Molly and if anyone try's to mess with her

Yeah, I remember that episode, er, well, I remember that scene....maybe it would be in the last episode "All Good Things..." cause that is about the only episode I have seen lately.

I'm going to have to watch it now just to find out....:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yeah, I remember that episode, er, well, I remember that scene....maybe it would be in the last episode "All Good Things..." cause that is about the only episode I have seen lately.

I'm going to have to watch it now just to find out....:bnghd:

What season/episode was that?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's actually the last episdoe. I'm watching it now (it's on the Time Travel collective that I purchased not too long ago *he he*).

I will post back if it was in there.

EDIT:

Yep, 46 minutes 25 seconds in Data says that Picard and Q's relationship resembles that of a master and his pet. Really got a bug eye reaction from Picard.

I busted out laughing.

[edit on 4/24/2006 by Sir Solomon]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Stick with it, TNG's early episodes were somewhat lame. A season or two into the series the story really starts to pick up and recaptures the essence of star trek. I think this was a direct result of gene rodenberry's guidance.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Im halfway into season 4 of TNG, and I really must say that there's a difference between the early episodes and those a few years after. They are SO much better! I really recommend 4th season!

top topics

join