It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why life exists in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hi just a quick thoight i had:

The universe is infinate(im some peoples opinion!)
The chances of life are a tiny percent(cant remeber exact so lets say) 1%

Now 1 % of infinate is..... well you do the maths

but basically thats the simpletons reason for why out there is a huge amount of life

i just dont think its coming here!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes, bacteria are proven to able to survive in the hostile environment that is space. When applying Billions to equations beyond bacterial life, the number Billions, cuts both ways.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
/\/\/\/\ if bacteria can live in space does that mean in certain areas there could possiblly life living in space...like a space fish?sounds dumb but im serious.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
BirDMan_X - Absolutely! There are places here on earth where fish live in impossibly high saltwater pools. Certain bacteria populate and reproduce in sulfuric acid pools. In the depths of the ocean on volcanic faults that spew noxious posions and water temps that would cook most anything on the planet, plants and small crustaceans thrive.

There is no reason to believe that life, even that which may not be carbon based, could spawn and survive anywhere.

[edit on 12-1-2006 by nullster]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Right on Nullster. It's the thing I preach against. Temporal Chauvinism. When considering life outside our tiny ovoid of dirt you can't apply the way things are as we know them. The chances of life in the great ether is more likely to not conform to our precepts.
Think on this: we live on a planet with an atmosphere that's 1/5 oxygen and 4/5 nitrogen. What are the odds that some other planet some where has that same combination? Go ahead get your head around that I'll wait.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by popek
Hi just a quick thoight i had:

The universe is infinate(im some peoples opinion!)
The chances of life are a tiny percent(cant remeber exact so lets say) 1%

Now 1 % of infinate is..... well you do the maths

but basically thats the simpletons reason for why out there is a huge amount of life

i just dont think its coming here!

Speaking of simple, your post is lacking in substance. You would do better to actually pose some questions, instead of just your simple opinion on the matter. Most of us dont really care what others's opinions are, what we really pay attention to are the thought provoking questions, information, facts, patterns, connections, ect.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by longhaircowboy

Think on this: we live on a planet with an atmosphere that's 1/5 oxygen and 4/5 nitrogen. What are the odds that some other planet some where has that same combination? Go ahead get your head around that I'll wait.

That hasn't always been the case. The Oxygen in Earth's Atmosphere is a direct result of bacterial life. You would not have been able to breath on Earth 450- 500 Million years ago.

And this also helps to increase the prospects for Life in the universe.

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 13-1-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   
NASA scientists and others theorize that water once flowed on Mars, and is still there. Furthermore, Clementine found what could be water on the moon. In fact, you can see this even on the military's own website. Then, you've got all of the speculations about free-flowing water under the ice of Europa.

Now, on Earth, we know that even one drop of water is teeming with life. So, with so many places outside of Earth likely containing water, in just our own galactic backyard, it would seem that life is FAR more prevalent in the Universe than not...

If you haven't heard of it yet (many younger members probably haven't), google on the "drake equation" for some statistical speculation on this.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unplugged
Speaking of simple, your post is lacking in substance. You would do better to actually pose some questions, instead of just your simple opinion on the matter. Most of us dont really care what others's opinions are, what we really pay attention to are the thought provoking questions, information, facts, patterns, connections, ect.

So do you actually have anything to contribute to this thread or......?

Now, my view is that its just too likely that there is life in other parts of the universe. There are BILLIONS of galaxys in space which contain BILLIONS of stars. Even if we make the presumption that life can only exist on a planet similar to ours, it would still be probable there is a lump of rock at roughly the same distance from its sun out there. Anyway this is all based around our current understanding of science, maybe there will be some incredible breakthrough in years to come that reveals the true secrets of the universe!

Oh and check out this video called 'Powers of Ten' - the camera zooms out from earth to the edge of the universe, then zooms all the way back in to show an atom inside a man's hand:

www.wimp.com...

[edit on 13/1/06 by jimi]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It very true about the atom in the hand,

if you look at our planet it is LESS than an atom in a human body

The universe is teeming with life absolutly crammed out problem is we define life which its not right to do

i mean life could be gaseous or like it has been said in this post as ludicrous as it sounds space fish! thats a reason the whole grey thing gets me as why on earth would they look so alike to humans? same for the reptillians, there could be alien life all around us right now we just cant see it as life

Life is something much bigger than what we can understand and when we start to explore the universe in many years we will start to see life can be ANYTHING just we havent seen it yet!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by popek
i mean life could be gaseous or like it has been said in this post as ludicrous as it sounds space fish! thats a reason the whole grey thing gets me as why on earth would they look so alike to humans? same for the reptillians, there could be alien life all around us right now we just cant see it as life

Life is something much bigger than what we can understand and when we start to explore the universe in many years we will start to see life can be ANYTHING just we havent seen it yet!

Yes, my biggest issue with aliens or grays as you note is that the public mythos has presented a form that is in human form. It's in our nature to humanize these concepts so that we can be comfortable with them. Familiarity eases into acceptance up to the point we get near 100% human looking aliens. Psychologicaly Grays and the like are really us projecting what we think we should be like. More socialy aware, wise and altruistic species. Again more ideal human patterns in order to be at ease

I wouldn't call it arrogance that people can't be more creative about aliens, it's just a lack of basic creativety. What about an ice planet, water, or gas planet? Is the notion of life let alone inteligent life limited to the human form? Unfortunately if it doensn't have ideal human attributes and idealistic ways, it's a dud alien. A geltanious blog or gaseous alien just isn't any fun.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I don't know, Star Trek seemed to have a lot of fun with different aliens (I mean old school....modern versions of Star Trek think that if you just add something to the nose...viola! instant alien...)

The thing with the grays that most skeptics seem to forget is that it took TIME for this to be part of pop culture. Prior to such recognition, this was simply the description given by eyewitnesses in many parts of the world, before it was common knowledge....so I don't buy the argument that it is some projection of our own imagination.... That simply doesn't fit the evidence at hand....

Also, based on their perceived actions, the socially aware, wise, and or altruistic aspects don't really seem to fit their behavior, other than some abduction accounts, and even then such statements could be to calm their lab rats.....

top topics

join