It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluorescent Green Pigs Bred in Taiwan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Green ham and eggs..............................anyone?

I am trying to see the helpfull purpose of glowing pigs, but maybe........ this prooves I am S L O W..............maybe it helps all the dark of night pig farmers?

[edit on 13-1-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'd be interesed in seeing fluorescent people.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
DNA Cloning and genetic enhancement and alteration, CAN have positive effects. BUT YOU ALL KNOW THAT...some CRAZT scientist or group will seek to use it as a weapon and studies already show that genetically altered crops(Seeds) are affecting the entire ecosysytem. the bees and birds that eat from the plants, the animals, the water, soil, it will not stop there.

Genetically altered organisms could lead to all of us being altered on some leverl.
Maybe, this is part of the future, maybe it will lead to a better world. BUT~ Every scientist that begins a new field of work will create adn encounter 'accidents' and 'mistakes' . What then?
I am for the research, for POSITIVE THING, but how to you judge who can study it?

Did you read about the Korean(Not sure of locale) Scientist that promised a sick boy in the US, Californai, that he could heal him, and it was all just a FRAUD. He mislead the world and promised that young sick boy that HE WOULD BE CURED.

This is just the tip of the iceberg....so to speak.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Green ham and eggs..............................anyone?

I am trying to see the helpfull purpose of glowing pigs, but maybe........ this prooves I am S L O W..............maybe it helps all the dark of night pig farmers?

[edit on 13-1-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

GFP is a reporter gene. In short, GFP is often 'piggybacked' along with other genes. This ensures that researchers know if the DNA of interest has been inserted or not. If the pig glows under fluorescent light (GFP fluoresces when it absorbs UV light, which is why you see the 'night vision' like effect), then the gene you tried to insert is present and likely being expressed. Fluorescent green pigs are not an end, rather they are a means to an end. Does that make sense?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Part of that link article reads:

TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan, home to the world’s first transgenic glowing fish, has successfully bred fluorescent green pigs that researchers hope will boost the island’s stem cell research, a professor said on Thursday.

By injecting fluorescent green protein into embryonic pigs, a research team at the island’s leading National Taiwan University managed to breed three male transgenic pigs, said professor Wu Shinn-Chih of the university’s Institute and Department of Animal Science and Technology.

“There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out. Even their hearts and internal organs are green,” Wu said on Thursday.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I wonder if this will become a fashion in the future for celebrity pets?

I can see a Paris Hilton type wanting to have a glowing green lap dog.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I wonder if this will become a fashion in the future for celebrity pets?

I can see a Paris Hilton type wanting to have a glowing green lap dog.

Green? I woulda guess pink or some other colour to go with her cloths or some such

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Interesting, yet bizzare. I guess it's just another step on the stairs of science; the ones that never end. Interesting read, though.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Could they do the same for humans? Like inject the color before they are born and they will come out red or blue? That would be weird.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Could they do the same for humans? Like inject the color before they are born and they will come out red or blue? That would be weird.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm no expert on the topic, but I'm sure it could be done.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Seems like Dr. Suess was a little ahead of his time.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join