It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Types of Creationist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Not sure why im posting this really, its just an idea I had a while back but there we are...

We have three types of Creationist:

1: The Liar- People like Gish and Hovinid who are simply lying to people in an attempt to con them out of their money. Can also be applied to people who push for I.D in schools while claiming its not creationism with a new face.

2: The Ignorant- The majority of creationists, they have simply not been exposed to the facts of evolution through poor teaching, similarly ignorant parents/communities. While often willing to vigorously defend creationism as God's word their clear lack of knowledgeswiftly prves their undoing.

3: The Rascist- Not openly expressed in civilised society since the 1960's there is still an element of rascism to Creationism. The dislike of the idea that we all came from Africa and therefore are all black is insulting to some people, whether they admit it or not.

Of course these are not all encompassing and there are no doubt countless exceptions, but I thought it may help to define what sort of creationist someone is dealing with.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
That seems kinda uneccessary. Certainly none of the longstanding questioners of the dominance of evolutionary that are here fit into any of those categories. Also, I don't know what to make of guys like Behe. I'll agree that hovind is a liar and fraud, but some people involved in the movement seem to be genuine beleivers, not liars, racists, and ignorami.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
While I hate to classify myself as a 'Creationist,' I suppose it could be argued that ID is a variety of creationism.

Since I am on the record as supportive of the ID movement, and thus, supportive of a creationist idea by proxy, since I am not a liar, since I don't think I am ignorant, I guess I must be a racist. Well, I guess you learn something new about yourself everyday.

Thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Nygdan i can see your point, and your probably right. This list was just the result of a discussion i had with some friends regarding our inability to understand why creationism thrives in the US.

Also after watching Dave Gormans Googlewhack show and his discussions with Dr Gish these seemed the only answers we could come up with, and in many of the discussions you see between evolutionists and creationists I have often found that creationists simply do not know the facts, leaving them ignorant/deluded.

And Mattison im sorry you cant see the little disclaimer at the bottom, but dont let it get you down. :d

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
And Mattison im sorry you cant see the little disclaimer at the bottom, but dont let it get you down. :d

Don't worry... I won't

Now I see the point of your post: You can generally classify creationists into one of three categories: Ignorant, liar, or racist... except of course in the case of one of the "countless exceptions..." great job pinning down these categories

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Again i see your point, really should have said that this isnt meant to be definative, just what me an some friends thought.

At the same time are you willing to tell me that all the creationists who beleive that the sun is shrinking, or the moon moving away, or that lucy's knee was found 2 miles away from the rest of her or that Darwin recanted on his deathbed arnt ignorant?

Creationism is the product of a bad education. Ergo ignorance. Racism and deliberate lies are generally less prevalent, but all can be found if you look.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
At the same time are you willing to tell me that all the creationists who beleive that the sun is shrinking, or the moon moving away, or that lucy's knee was found 2 miles away from the rest of her or that Darwin recanted on his deathbed arnt ignorant?

Well, I'm not fond of all or never arguments... but I will say this... Kent Hovind and Ken Hamm, etc., are not ignorant. They do have an agenda... not too sure what it is, but they are far from ignorant... sadly misinformed... confused, maybe, or even deranged, but not ignorant. But I am not sure why you're asking me these things, since I'm not standing up for Creationists.

Creationism is the product of a bad education. Ergo ignorance. Racism and deliberate lies are generally less prevalent, but all can be found if you look.

Creationism is the product of none of those things. Walt Brown is highly educated, not racist, and doesn't lie deliberately. Creationism is a product of fundamentalism. It's the fundamentalist response to the ever-shrinking role that myth plays in our society. The literal interpretation is a fundamentalist phenomenon, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Thanks UncleJoe! I am sure that I fit your generalizations here very well!
Since I am a card carrying Cherokee, I would know nothing of being a racist. My wife who is from Korea would also be surprised that I am a racist.
I attended LaSalle Academy which is one of the most prestigious HighSchools in New England. I also have attended Dartmouth college I guess that both these educational institues are guilty of "bad education" .
As for ignorance.... That is why I joined ATS WOW!

Heads up, you should never paint with such a wide brush. It can get you in trouble in both the real world as well as the cyberworld

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
My wife who is from Korea would also be surprised that I am a racist.

She'll just use this to twist your arm. "No honey, I can't take out the garbage right now, I'm typing on ATS" "But you're a racist!" "Ok, sorry dear, I'll take that garbage out now"

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Generalisations make the world go round!

This perhaps stems from my total misunderstanding of the creationist mindset, i dont see how anyone can beleive in a literal biblical creation of the world when the evidence points to gradual evolution. Unless poor quality education is taken into account, then it becomes explicable.

ATS may not be the best place to find such people (thats only a maybe...
) but they are out there, and as far as i can tell make up the majority of creationist thinkers.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922
Since I am on the record as supportive of the ID movement, and thus, supportive of a creationist idea by proxy, since I am not a liar, since I don't think I am ignorant, I guess I must be a racist. Well, I guess you learn something new about yourself everyday.

Haha I guess i'm racist too!

I'm glad to know the Evo side matches the ID side with ignorant, pointless posts.

[edit on 032828p://5u22 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncle Joe

This is the most ignorant article on blatantly biased and projected disimformation I've witnessed on the web... just simply unfounded nonsense and open bias without justification.

-That Darn Republican

www.conservarant.townhall.com

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I guess I'm an ignorant racist liar. And so is Oxford mathematician Dr John Lennox. So is the director of the Human Genome project.

Naaaaaaa I guess the OP is the ignorant bigoted one.

Creation was an event. The Bible does not claim a young earth. A few people just use genealogies to get that. The earth had been there long before those started. Most believers do not follow the YEC thought.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
ugh

such a sad thread, it starts out with an idiotic attack on the opposite side and doesn't deliver any sort of good conversation out of it.

sure, there are lying, ignorant, and racist creationists, but there's far more than that because they're a group of people....
though i'd argue that many creationists do fall into the "ignorant" category when you think about things such as the tired arguments including "why are there still monkeys if we came from monkeys?" "where's the half-human, half-monkey?" "there are no transitional forms?" "darwin repented and was saved on his deathbed" etc etc

but not all creationists fall into those categories.
i had a friend who, until recently, believe in creationism even though he was fairly well informed on evolution...
but he's no decided that evolution in no way conflicts with his christian beliefs....so...bad example.

top topics

join