It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Draws Up Space Tourism Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
An article from BBC News on their news website briefly covering the principals of the new space tourism rules and an explanation of why they have decided to implement such rules.

news.bbc.co.uk
Space tourists must be screened to ensure they are not terrorists, according to proposed regulations from the US Federal Aviation Administration.

The draft report's suggestions aim to prevent a terrorist from destroying a spacecraft or using it as a weapon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At first glance - I admit - I scoffed. Talk about going over the top, knee jerk reaction if you will, by the American powers that be. What a ridiculous notion that someone would pay that much money to go into space - a opportunity of a lifetime I may add - only to hijack the flight to use the spacecraft as a weapon.

Then I thought about a bunch of guys who decided to spend a few years spending a lot of money on flight lessons. Planning...Waiting, hijacking a few 747 and doing something terrible with them.

Maybe it is a good idea.

If these people are mad enough to do something as amazingly stupid and disgusting as the act we all now know as 9/11 - what's stopping them from being more sensationalist? More ridiculous? More selfish and murderous if it helps their "cause"?

What the Americans have done should be a template for any nation who decide to allow business to venture into the realms of space tourism.

(just realised had a bit of rant there, apologies!)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.washtimes.com
www.nbc17.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: Virgin Galactic to Build Underground Spaceport in N.M.
U.S government releases 123 pages of proposed space tourism rules
Space Tourism: Next Steps Taking Shape

[edit on 15-1-2006 by asala]

new topics

join