It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fortress America...an isolationist nation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Thanks marg, I was out for the weekend. Good to see someone with some sense defend a sound position.
Zappa, if you feel that quasi-slave labor is a worthwhile price to pay for some cheap shoes and blue jeans then I cannot refute your position. It is a matter of opinion. You can choose to ignore the fact that we rape economies overseas to afford all of our luxuries, but it will not ignore you.

If you admit that we pay these people squat compared to salaries stateside, then where is your argument?
We pay them more that they usually make?
My point was that we paid them enough to be satisfied, while the real profits never get circulated into the foreign economy. If you disagree with this I urge you to learn some economics.
I am sure there are more educated people as far as economics on here that will convice you better than I.
I think we just differ on human rights.
If you believe it is ok to exploit the third world for our cheap goods, than I doubt I can convince you otherwise. Just go on vacation to South America.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Funny after I did that post I forgot about this thread, today it was an interview with one of the big guys from Wal-Mart, in MSNBC and guess what the interview was about?

It was about the practices of Wal-Mart when it comes to cheap manufacturing of goods from china and the negative impact on the US economy and outsourcing.

For such a company that shines as makers of jobs they come short when is to support our nations manufacturing sector.

Cheap labor, cheap goods they also cheap when it comes to paying their employees and giving them benefits.

What a shame.

But that is OK you can buy cheap at wal-mart.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Mao-Mart lady, not wal-mart.

Sad enit.
Whats even worse is all the people here that either dont know or dont care. Someday this whole thing will blow up in our faces.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
".... Zappa, if you feel that quasi-slave labor is a worthwhile price to pay for some cheap shoes and blue jeans then I cannot refute your position. It is a matter of opinion. You can choose to ignore the fact that we rape economies overseas to afford all of our luxuries, but it will not ignore you."
If you admit that we pay these people squat compared to salaries stateside, then where is your argument?"

REPLY: Considering the vast difference between economics and lifestyle, you cannot logically compare stateside wages to those of third-world nations.

".... My point was that we paid them enough to be satisfied, while the real profits never get circulated into the foreign economy. If you disagree with this I urge you to learn some economics. I am sure there are more educated people as far as economics on here that will convice you better than I."

REPLY: I've studied economics for over 35 years; You?

Actually, just by being paid 2 to 10 times more than they usually make (in many cases providing jobs that weren't even there to begin with), provides a benefit to the entire community and region, simply because of the monetary increase being spread to those providing goods and services.... it works most every time.

".... I think we just differ on human rights."

REPLY: If those people had governments that allowed them liberty and freedom, they could determine their own levels of human rights and economic status and values.

".... If you believe it is ok to exploit the third world for our cheap goods, than I doubt I can convince you otherwise. Just go on vacation to South America."

REPLY: I've been there, but for work, not on vacation. Every third-world country has governments that don't allow their people the freedom they want and need to create their own wealth. Also, visiting those countries is what taught me that there are very, very few "poor" people in America, and those that are remain that way by their own failings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join