It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear fallout question

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Stratrf_Rus, you wrote:

The Nagasaki-Hirsohima attacks were Atmospheric Bursts which have no Fall-out. That statement was and is WRONG! Just look at old newsreel films or photographs, and you'll see why!

In the case of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the devices were exploded 500 meters above GZ. In other words, both were Airbursts. This is characterised by the 'doughnut' shaped cloud forming above GZ.

However at the same time, a 'stem' of evaporated radioactive materiels from GZ slowly rises until it meets the doughnut cloud. The two 'forms' continue to rise for several thousands of feet in the familiar 'mushroom' shaped cloud.

Therefore your initial statement about the lack of radiation is, I am afraid, factually incorrect, as both detonations caused massive residual radiation.

To reiterate;

Ground Zero: Ground Zero is defined as: 'A place on which, above which or below which' a nuclear detonation occurs.

Types of Nuclear Explosions:

A Ground Burst is said to have taken place, if the nuclear device is detonated at GZ or if the resulting fireball touches the surface of the earth;

An Air Burst is said to have taken place if the detonation occurs above the earth's surface and the resulting fireball does not come into contact with the earth;

A Subterranean Burst is said to have taken place if a nuclear device is detonated below ground level, irrespective of whether the fireball breaks the earth's surface or not.

An Exo-Atmospheric Burst is said to have occurred when a nuclear device is detonated above the earth's atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Blast and thermal effect have always been the principal killers in a nuclear detonation. Residual radiation effects have never played a signifacant role as far as the Strategic and tactical employment of these weapons, the notable exception being the ERW or 'neutron bomb' whose explosive yield although small in relation to contemporary warheads, caused an intense initial free neutron pulse designed to penetrate the armour of the massed Tanks and APCs that were to have been expected in a Warsaw Pact thrust to reach the English Channel. The REM dosage was calculated to be of an order sufficient to incapacite the unfortunate crews in very short order.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
AndyHodges, who or what is an ERW Wpn? I've never heard of that.

As to Neutron wpns, by their very nature, they are designed to yield massive amounts of radiation - Initial nuclear Radiation that is - Alpha and Beta Particles together with Gamma Rays. They all interact to produce Neutron Induced Activity or NIA. This is where the Neutron Wpn gets its name from.

As to there being no Residual Nuclear Radiation, unless this wpn is exploded thousands of feet in the air, then I'm afraid Andy, there will be massive radiations in and around GZ, being caused by the rising stem of the cloud. (Pse read my earlier post)

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
sorry........didnt mean to confuse. ERW is just short for Enhanced Radiation Weapon.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Here is a link to a very imformative study done into the effects of nuclear weapons, its a bit heavy going at times but really worth a read for those truly interested in the topic. Particularly interesting is the theoretical comparison analysis of a hypothetical 1MT burst over Detroit and Leningrad. Pretty chilling stuff to say the least.

www.atomicarchive.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Atomic and nuclear weaponry are the same thing, just different terms used.

Much of the nuclear hype of the Cold War was just that - hype, intent on scaring the citizenry of the world. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't looking forward to any nuclear war as it would make a mess of thing s like ain't nobody's business, but everything from the "Nuclear Winter" to the insanely long lingering radiation effects, were blown out of whack.

That is fine with me. My four years in Germany was spent eating, drinking and Volkmarching, rather than dying. Pretty good deal, I'd say.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hey Mr Thomas Crowne, glad I weren't the only one guarding Sennelager, Hohne or Larbruk(?spelling) back in the good old Cold war days.

You got to admit, they were fun days, especially when we Brits spent so much time keeping you pesky Yanks and Ivan away from our Cheiftains with their oh so secret Chobham armour that we could never have stopped them in they'd have come through that wall..................... or anywhere else for that matter. If they'd invaded over the 2 weeks the Brit Army shut down for Xmas and the New year, it would've been down to you and the Bundeswher.

Where were you based, anywhere exciting?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
QUOTE : "The Nagasaki-Hirsohima attacks were Atmospheric Bursts which have no Fall-out. "

ROFLMAO - please tell me you dont actually believe that , sheesh

two words " black rain "

dismissed

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Dont think anyone wants to use Nukes unless they really need to, They are just used to scare people.

They may be used now to blast an incoming meteorite hurtling towards the earth if the case happens

www.globalsecurity.org...

images.google.co.uk...://www.ipkonfig.com/Articles/SpaceImaging/epcot_center.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.xciv.org/~meta/2003/&h=20 05&w=2005&sz=2034&tbnid=FFtofvZPXFrVMM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=150&hl=en&start=6&prev=/images%3Fq%3DICBM%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

images.google.co.uk...://www.coldwar.org/bcmt/images/images_lg/compicbm-2k.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coldwar.org/bcmt/icbm_1.htm l&h=1127&w=1500&sz=162&tbnid=t0H6rbaJHSXlQM:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3DICBM%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

ed-thelen.org...

www.astrosurf.com...

[edit on 3-2-2006 by Browno]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
@fritz

I got a u2u message telling me that my statement was wrong. Could it be that you confused me with another member ?? Cause most of the things you try to make clear are the same things i wrote in my statement !
Sorry can´t send you u2u´s yet.. so I thought I´ll try it that way !

cheers

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm not too sure old chap. I think the U2U's went a little haywire beack then. Guess it must have been all those Gamma Rays...........................

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join