It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sailor held over Japanese woman's death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   

A US sailor in Japan is being held on suspicion of involvement in a local woman's death, the US Navy has said.
The sailor is being held in US custody near where the incident took place, in Yokosuka - where the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier is based.

Yoshie Sato died on Tuesday, after being found beaten and unconscious.

Her death comes at a time when the US is trying to win local support to station a new nuclear-powered aircraft carrier at Yokosuka.

Analysts say this recent incident could complicate sensitive negotiations between Washington and Tokyo over the redeployment of US forces in Japan.

US sailor held in relation to death of Japanese local woman

I agree this is very bad news for Japanese/US relations as they are weary as is, especially since the rape of the Japanese schoolgirl in '95 by 3 sailors. As guests in their country this is unacceptable and I certainly hope the person accountable is dealt with accordingly and tried to the full extent of the law. I also hope there is no backlash from the locals.

The curfews that have been introduced for this weekend to keep all American military personnel off the local streets is the respectful thing to do IMO.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I dont think this will affect anything, a single sailors actions, if it is true wont disrupt anything. The factor you are forgetting is the common interest of Japan and the US for the US to be in the "neighborhood". As Japan sees NK and China as potential threats to themselves just as the US percieves NK and China in the same light. As long as there is that common interest, the US will have bases in Japan.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
No this would not look good at all for the U.S.! Hell We have not looked that good in years if you ask me.

I hope it was not our sailor. If it was..... let Japan have at him.
The other sad thing is that the Gov. will have to sweeten the pot to get them to say yes to the carrier. That's what the politics are all about. Money and power. And they would try that to get Japan to forget. I went to Okinawa once. What a beautiful place, and what honorable people.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
I dont think this will affect anything, a single sailors actions, if it is true wont disrupt anything. The factor you are forgetting is the common interest of Japan and the US for the US to be in the "neighborhood". As Japan sees NK and China as potential threats to themselves just as the US percieves NK and China in the same light. As long as there is that common interest, the US will have bases in Japan.

But Luda this is the death of an innocent woman beaten brutally to death for what? some change ? And by a US military trained officer, surely this will not sit well with most of the locals as these sailors are indeed guests in their country, common interest or not.

Surely you can imagine how it looks to the average person, a trained military officer, a man who I don't doubt is quite strong, beating an older woman to death ?

Politics aside, this event is horrific in it's own right.

And agreed Mr101Hazardous, I say if he is found guilty, let the Japanese try him

[edit on 6-1-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
wow I thought this may have attracted a little more interest, guess not

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Jaded, What you have here is a fact that not many can Dispute.
It is a sad time for us now in the US with all the bad press. I will not give up hope...... as a country we have been though a lot of other hard times.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I just thought this would be of concern to most people, guess not.

But I came back to post an update, he has been charged.

US sailor charged with murder

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I must say, I'm glad he was turned over to the Japanese authorities, and I wish them the best of luck prosecuting/sentencing him to the fullest extent of their laws.

It sickens my stomach to think that anyone could commit such a heinous crime, for a mere $129, especially a U.S. sailor with the duty to represent my country abroad.

If that is all the value he places on the life of one of his hosts/hostesses........

I'll stop now before I unleash a "ban worthy" rubbish bin of obscenities.

[edit on 1/8/06 by redmage]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
I just thought this would be of concern to most people, guess not.

My opinion is that We are concerned! It's just that We are getting sick from all the crap that is piling up here in the U.S. that it just hurts to see one more thing added to that. I for one just wont to keep my head down in shame!

[edit on 8-1-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If one of our soldiers, or Marines, or Airmen or sailors commit a crime, they shoudl be held accountable.

We tend to think of our men and women in uniform as all being heroes. The truth is (in my Army experience), there are some bad apples. And they commit crimes. They do/sell drugs (in uniform). They deal in the black market - whatever nation their in. They run afoul of laws in those countries and then expect to be shielded.

They make us all look bad. In Japan ESPECIALLY. Right now Japanese citizens do not care for our presence there. It is imperative that our troops behave in a manner that would reflect well on our military. Anything less is another nail in the coffin for our continued presence there.

top topics

join