It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*stunned*George Galloway in 'Celebrity Big Brother' TV show now *stunned*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
George Galloway is a surprise member of the current UK 'Celebrity Big Brother' show that has just started tonight.

www.wanadoo.co.uk...
Michael Barrymore who.....was soon joined by cosmetic surgery legend Pete Burns, ex-Baywatch babe Traci Bingham, Maggot off out of Goldie Lookin' Chain.
Following Maggot, it was Rula Lenska, Jodie Marsh, American basketball/cross-dressing great Dennis Rodman was the next man in
Following Dennis was ex-Sven squeeze Faria Alam.
Next-to-last celeb in was Preston from The Ordinary Boys and completing the line-up is Respect MP George Galloway.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this to be a new outlet for 'Gorgeous' George's politics?

Whatever happened to his talk about dumbing down and the trivialisation of serious political matters?

(Some may differ but I hope this stays in the UK Politics section cos I don't think BTS's TV section will be appropriate if George gets some abrasive and challenging political debate going in there!)

[edit on 5-1-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

mod edit: There are news quoting tags for external news sources, using such tags help the thread viewer to see that the thread is about a news story.
The news tags are:
[news.] article content [/news.] (without the fullstops)

[edit on 6-1-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Please tell me you are joking

So Georgie boy has entered Big Brother...hmmm, he's not really a celebrity, but most of Galloway supports probably watch Big Brother due to RESPECT supporters consisting of teenagers

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Please tell me you are joking

- Absolutely not, I sat aghast and watched him joining the show tonight.

Here's another link -

The fourth series of Celebrity Big Brother has kicked off with MP George Galloway joining 10 others

news.bbc.co.uk...

So Georgie boy has entered Big Brother...hmmm, he's not really a celebrity

- But this certainly would give you the impression he really really wants to be one.

I suppose he should be given the benefit of the doubt until he actually says something in there but it's a definite 'jar' to see him doing this.
I'm reminded of Charles Kennedy doing the TV stuff before becoming LibDem leader; it was great for his and his party's 'profile' in the short-term but there are plenty who saw it as damaging him (if not the party) in the longer term.

but most of Galloway supports probably watch Big Brother due to RESPECT supporters consisting of teenagers

- I wouldn't know.
I moved away from London a while back and don't know what the Respect support base is like.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I found it odd...but think about it.

The media have tried to show an image about him, who are the main people going to see the show? The ones who will be more influenced by the media.

Big Brother is a massive influence on Youth Culture and it is a great way to counter people and to also to put his agenda across to the Youth who will have only seen the negative image and not the positive aspects.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
i still don't know why he entered it,
he is probably trying to rally more support for the upcoming local elections...hope it backfires and damages his career.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The way I look at it, is rather simple.

He and his party and their Policy do not change whatsoever, so those who support him on that basis should be able to look passed the show. All the show should do, is open him up and the Party up to more people knowing about them.

The problem is, people just can't look passed a T.V. show.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
George went some way to explaining it himself, the comment about what 'young people' prefer to vote for is depressing if undeniably true -

"I believe that politicians should use every opportunity to communicate with people," he said in a statement.

"I'm a great believer in the democratic process. Big Brother is watched by millions.

"More young people vote during Big Brother than in the general election. I hope they'll all be voting for me over the next few weeks."

news.bbc.co.uk...

- His political opponents have, not unreasonably, complained about who will now represent and do the day to day business of a constituency MP?

Never a predictable and dull moment with George!

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:33 AM
link   
It's a dumb show....as a teenager in London with radical political ideaologies, I think I'll try and stop watching it.

Of what I saw last night, he seems a nice bloke and probably the leader figure in the Big Brother house.

I feel sorry for Michael Barrymore though....

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Michael Barrymore, George Galloway and Dennis Rodman working out...is something so funny.

I can't stop watching Galloway asking about fitness tips...it's so #ing funny.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That Chantelle bird is sooooo annoying and f**kin dumb.

I reckon Charles Kennedy will be on the next series.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Isn't the winner going to donate his or her winnings to charity?
If so, then I guess it's not so bad. Pete Burns is very scary.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I must admit I have been pleased if not amazed to hear some of the interesting discussion they have had so far - it makes a hugely welcome change from the usual tedious and dreary adolescent flirting that has been the norm previously.

Today's 'is killing animals murder' and the subsequent 'why focus on animal welfare at the expense of human welfare' debate was worth a look.

From what I can make out this is in large part thanks (so far) to George Galloway who has been trying to keep debate sane and rational.

Pete Burns is (obviously) an unusual but clearly intelligent bloke.

Jodie Marsh (what is it with those 'clown lips' some woment are into.......since when did painting 'extra lip' on 'normal skin' look anything but hysterically funny and totally ridiculous?) for all her supposed education seems to have problems with talking about anything she doesn't agree with and for me comes across as totally shallow, scheming and unpleasant.

Barrymore is not pleasant viewing, one minute he is ok and the next it looks like we are going to be 'entertained' with a breakdown live on tv. Yuk.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Mabye they should get big old tony on it lol, a BB special "house of commons" one lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It's an interesting idea DW; on a more serious note though I think it would do no harm for us to see these people as 'real' people and away from the security of their scripts and staff.

Look at what 'non-political' media exposure did for Charles Kennedy or William Hague, I think it's fair to say it did them a world of good to come over as 'real' people.......and it had nothing to do with their politics either IMO, Hague still had/has tory ideas many find totally unappealing and unacceptable and Kennedy is an amiable but fairly 'policy free zone'!

[edit on 9-1-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
He just said he likes to think he is more intune with the street than other MPs...oh my Lord!

I used to hate reality T.V. but I think we could just stick George in them all and it would make amazing viewing.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
He just said he likes to think he is more intune with the street than other MPs...oh my Lord!

Does he think he is 50 Cent of something

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by Odium

Does he think he is 50 Cent of something

That'll be his new Crew.

The Rodman, 50 Cent and so on and so fourth...Tony best not mess with him now. :|

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
?

Isn't he currently a Minister of Parliament? Will the cameras be following him to Parliament and the like? This is fascinating.

It'd be like the c-span version of 'reality tv', in a way.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Nygdan, he is a current memeber and he can't leave the house.

They are in a "fully" controlled house and to be honest, he is full of himself but then compaired to those in their...he is probably one of the smartest people and most known in there. The others are primarily nobodies.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Much as I hate to admit it I'm finding it compelling viewing.

It's refreshing to hear people with genuine conversation - and the contrast against those who have nothing but the most inane talk (invariably about themselves) and a constant cheap and tawdry sexual innuendo and sexual bragging is very funny if somewhat sad.

Comment of the day has to be Pete Burns (who may well be the oddest looking sharp and smart guy I've ever seen).

With reference to Jodie Marsh ('famous' for peeling her clothes, claiming to be incredibly dirty and sexy and selling a book loaded with numerous 'kiss and tell' stories of people with an actual bit of fame.......oh and having Avid Merrion take the piss out of her) he said -
".......you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink and you can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think"

Classic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join