It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historical Illuminatus Chronicles Vol 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Because this book is significantly different and it is altogether a different book than those of the Illuminatus! Trilogy also by Robert Anton Wilson, I wanted to post about "The Earth Will Shake" (book one of the Chronicles) in a seperate thread from the other series' discussion.

I FINALLY finished the book last month. Not that it is a hard read but rather holiday traveling and late night reading slowed me down. I wind up rereading a lot the next day.

I haven't read the Illuminatus! Trilogy but I do have the collected version and "The Earth Will Shake" is less comical from what I gather (not at all in the Douglas Adams-type style). It's more of a "regular" novel.

First: This book will give you strange dreams what with topics such as the Fourth Soul, Rosy Cross, Speculative Masonry, the Inquisition, hypnotism, classical music discussion, secret societies within secret societies, etc.

The book is a mixture of theory and historical happenings and is set in 18th century Italy, England, and France. Anyone reading this post should pick it up. It is the first book in a while that I plan to reread.

Second: This book gave me a lot to think about with respect to the work's use of metaphor. It opens with a story about King Francis I and outright explains the passage's use of allegory and in the final pages metaphor and allegory are again touched upon. Contemplating the whole first book as a greater allegory itself regarding the subject matter is really something to chew on.

I'd like to hear from other readers about their opinions.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
sigh! - how i wish he would get round to writing the fourth book in this series

the writing styles of books 2 & 3 (the widow's son & nature's god) are also different in themselves, although they do follow the same story

i love robert anton wilson's books and cannot recommend him highly enough. its just a pity that he is not more widely read. In fact, i would make ALL his books compulsory reading for anyone interested in conspiracies AND how to think your way around them.

do yourselves a favour and grab any or many of his books

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You said it. "Earth Will Shake" alone is filled with philosophical, religious, and political ideas amid the backdrop of the Inquisition and the secret societies' relationships with each other.

Good idea that it should be read more or even required. I'd even put this one in the mix with Orwell, Bradbury, Toffler, etc. It also has the power to juice up a mind dimmed by the forces that be.

join