It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Image?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I don't know a whole lot about God and the Devil, or Lucifer right?

Lucifer was an angel cast out of heaven for being bad? and I am sorry if I have this all wrong, I get all of my information from movies.

So why is the Devil always pictures as a monster, ugly and bulky, and well, unperfect? While God is always pictured as a man?

And in the same note, why demons are ugly monsters as well? Is it just a face given to evil to scare people?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inanna
Lucifer was an angel cast out of heaven for being bad?

This is a popular story, and it was exemplified by Milton in Paradise Lost. That is where we get the idea of a devil who said c.f. 'Its better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven',

So why is the Devil always pictures as a monster, ugly and bulky, and well, unperfect?

Oh come on, Al Pacino might not've aged all that well, but thats going too far!

The devil represents that which is hated. Ugliness is hated, thus he looks ugly. In some representations. Othertimes, he's presented as beign very handsome and 'slick'.

Is it just a face given to evil to scare people?

Sounds about right. In Dante the devil has three mouths, but thats for a sort of symbolism.
Usually, also, 'monstrosities' like, say, the Titans and Giants of mythology, get sent underground or come from underground, so there might be something like an archaetype for having deformed monstrosities comming from the ground. Might be explained/rooted in vertebrate fossils weathering out of the ground, they'd be pretty monstrous.

new topics

join