It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The power of son...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It seems that calling people 'Son' is the new fad in patronising talk-downs during arguements... I have noticed a few users doing it.

Is this actually a freakish spirit of fatherly paternalism or just some catholic priest identity fetishism?!?!?

Either way, is it annoying or not? I think yeeeees...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If its being used to antagonize another member I recommend filing a complaint or sending a u2u to a forum mod. This type of behavior is NOT allowed on ATS.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It's not a new trend. I used to see people doing it in chat back in the mid 90's. It gets really annoying really quickly, which is why trolls do it. It angers people, prompts a response, that's the goal of the troll.

I think it should qualify as abuse, especially when it's kept up even after repeated pleas to stop. It makes discussion nearly impossible. Not the sort of behavior one expects of a community member.

A good rule of thumb is to talk to people online as if they were standing right in front of you.

I've never met a man brave enough to pull that crap with me face to face, but these mental midgets you get online persist in doing so in this environment, simply because they know they can get away with it, and they love to make other people upset.

That's the troll complex. They get off on making other people uncomfortable and angry. It's really sick. I say ban the obnoxious putz, put their avatar's head on a digital pike, and go about the business of denying ignorance.

Bah...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It's not a new trend. I used to see people doing it in chat back in the mid 90's. It gets really annoying really quickly, which is why trolls do it. It angers people, prompts a response, that's the goal of the troll.

You're right of course... It seems an old BORING trend has re emerged proving the web is going the way of all Human endeavors, what's old always becomes what's new er Son...

Springer...

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Springer]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Personally, I've never seen anyone do that, nor has anyone done that to me.
But I have to agree, that it would be really annoying.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I actually think I saw the thread the original poster mention two bats going at it and then one is all look here son.

really a weak flame imo but nonetheless a flame. the reason people come here is so they can discuss subjects with others if you wanna go flame people for being noobs go to vault network and let them know how much you rox.

ATTACK ZIE ISSUE! Not the person.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Islamophobic poster in mind... but I noticed it on another thread and it got me thinking...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
its just something some people who seem to share the mods views use to insult and provoke members without fear of warnings. Messaging an admin will have no effect because ive already tried, as have i tried politely asking them to stop.

At least it shows how empty there arguments are, they have no resort to baiting to try to win a debate.

I stand corrected, as a mod has just warned one poster using son as an insult, Thanks mods.

[edit on 4-1-2006 by HiddenReality]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Apparently it is part of his great 'strategy'... either that or he was kissing mod...

top topics

join