It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran sure knows how to ban (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has recently banned a daily newspaper for the first time since taking office. "The Asia" was banned because it published photos that might have "contravened Islamic values". While this is not something new for Iran's government, it was out of the ordinary for the fact that the cultural ministry banned the paper instead of the commonly used judiciary. It is now prevalent that much more pressure is being focused on the press by the Iranian government.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Iranian government has ordered the closure of a daily newspaper for the first time since hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took office.

The paper's editor, Iraj Jamshidi, told the BBC the Asia was banned because it had published photos deemed to have contravened Islamic values. More than 100 publications have been closed in the past five years, although many have since reopened. Asia was banned in 2003 after printing the picture of a rebel leader.

The latest closure was ordered by the culture ministry rather than the judiciary, which has usually been responsible for such moves in the past.

"The ban by the board indicates a new round of pressure on the press," reformist journalist Isa Saharkhiz told Reuters news agency. Reuters reports that a planned publication aimed at women, Nour-e Banovan, was also banned.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There was not a great deal of information on this article, but it is significant. The president of Iran has been banning everything western since his first day in office. He even banned western music. I believe that this is important because Iran seems to be prepping for something. By keeping out western influences and information that will hurt him or contradict his beliefs. What are the real motives behind this man and his government?

This is starting to sound like the early Nazi regime

Related News Links:
www.breitbart.com

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think that Iran is definately trying to keep their people ignorant to the rest of the world.

What is the point of banning Western Music? I mean if the U.S. banned western music that would be totally insane, but when other countries do it no one seems to care. In germany while Hitler was in power, he managed to stop many influences and set forth his own beliefs. Doesn't this seem similiar?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You know why people tend not to care? Because the Iranian People do not care.

The BBC did a nice report on the ban of Western Music, one arrest was all that happened and people kept on playing it, kept on selling it and kept on buying it. A vast part of the Iranian Population do not care what the President said and they know he is just a "Mouth Piece".

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
and we thought Saddam was bad??? if this guy is allowed to stay in power, it's going to get alot worse. Censorship will be a commonplace thing in Iran.

however, I don't think anything he does justifies us invading Iran, I do feel though that we should be more supportive of younger and more secular population of Iran and inspired them to demand a change of government.

deeply religious nuts as politicians are a bad sign for the future, regardless of which religion or country is involved.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
What can we expect from this president next, hopefully there will be a country to step up to the plate.

Does anyone have background information on the Iranian president, whom I do not want to spend time typing his name?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

What are the real motives behind this man and his government?

He's one of the student radicals that initiated the Islamic Republic, these moves shouldnt' be a surprise to anyone.

This is starting to sound like the early Nazi regime

Instead of the ministry of justice banning the newspaper, its the cultural ministry doing it. I wouldn't say that this is 'starting' to sound like anything, its more of the same. Iran is an Islamic Republic, its a Theocratic-Sacerdotal State. I don't know about the charge of nazism though, Iran isn't a Totalitarian State, in the usual sense anyway.

and we thought Saddam was bad??? if this guy is allowed to stay in power, it's going to get alot worse. Censorship will be a commonplace thing in Iran.

Not for nothing, but thats a heck of a lot better than genocide and enforcement of state policy via rape.

I don't think anything he does justifies us invading Iran, I do feel though that we should be more supportive of younger and more secular population of Iran

But isn't that where the usual charge of meddling and interference in other nations appears? What happens when these young democrats start a revolt, does the US support them? If so, then how is it anything other than a war via proxy? If not, then its the marsh arab revolt all over again.

Iran is an open declared enemy of the United States. The US doesn't need any further reason to justify war to the rest of the world. The US only needs to justify attacking iran to itself, to decide on its own if its enough of a threat.

hopefully there will be a country to step up to the plate.

Censorship and intolerance in Iran isn't enough of a reason to get involved in a war there.

[edit on 3-1-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The more they clamp, the more the clamped gets restless...
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Irans progressive youth are questioning, more an more, the direction of Irans government...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Because the Iranian People do not care.

BS. You obviously do not know any Iranians otherwise you would not have made this ill-concieved statement.

To the youth of Iran the more westernized the better. The more radical the Iranian government becomes the more they lose the support of the young people in that country.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Nygdan

So far you post has made more sense than anything else I have been reading in these boards since the propaganda against Iran started.

Have you notice all the threads agains Iran and it's president?

Yeap is just like pre-war Iraq.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
the reason for the temporary closure is printing of photographs of women considered to have been improperly dressed

sorry, I could not find a larger picture of the photos.

btw, this is the fourth time the paper is banned, the first under nejad's administration but what's all the fuss about?

ANY ideas?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   

from Nygdan Censorship and intolerance in Iran isn't enough of a reason to get involved in a war there.

Very true. The only war it should spark is a civil war, but that's up to the Iranians.

The biggest weapon that the younger Iranians have against this tyranny is to continue to travel to the west for their education, and to experience freedom of expression firsthand. Then the censorship used by this president and any other will backfire on him and have the opposite effect than what he intended.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I came across a brief biography on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and it is pretty interesting, it says that he was elected mayor of Tehran with a %12 percent voter turn out. I mean I understand how voter turn outs could be low but for 2003 that seems a bit extreme.

Also it says he reversed many laws and regulations from previous mayors, making them more religously based. He seperated elevators for women and men in public offices, and suggested that martyrs from from the Iraq-Iran war be buried in city squares around Tehran.

Seems a bit extreme to me...

www.babnet.net...

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
sardion2000, I have an Iranian family on my road in fact.

Source
Hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's ban on Western music fell on deaf ears Tuesday, as shop owners and music enthusiasts in the Iranian capital continued selling, buying and listening to everything from hip-hop to country rock.

I point out again, they do not care.

Just like every ban they place on the Iranian People, from music to make-up the people do not care and continue to live their lives how they desire.

top topics

join