It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is one of the best albums I've heard in years.

I have been listening to this almost every chance I get for the past few weeks.

Maybe it is not for everyone, but after seeing them perform on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central, and Conan O'Brian I went out and bought it.

Who are their influences do you think?

I hear a little of Jimmy Hendrix, some Ede Brickel (spelling?), Janis Jopplin, violent Fems (spelling?) and a slew of 80s punk rock with a great message and a spectacular sound.

I was interested to find out that he had worked on and produced an album for Lorretta Lynn i think it was, please correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, it is a great sound, and powerful lyrics.

Anyone know who their influences were? What kind of music they liked?

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I believe 'Iggy and the Stooges' would have had to be a major influence. In fact both bands are touring Oz for the 'Big Day Out' festival.
The 'Stooges' are back!

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I love the White Stripes. They are, in my opinion, one of the most original bands to make the charts in quite some time. Of course, being from Detroit might have tainted my "unbiased" opinion some, as I am from Detroit myself. Nevertheless, Jack White certainly has developed an interesting and innovative sound.

As for the influences that might have shaped the White Stripes, well, that's a difficult proposition. I would suppose that, like all musicians, the White Stripes have developed from the music of their environment. In this case, I believe that the White Stripes would have developed in the unique sound and music cauldron that IS Detroit. Motown, Gospel, Heavy Metal and the Southern Blues have all played a role in making this band a great addition to my regular playlist.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I hope so because I'll be out looking for it.
I don't know who influenced their music, but I love "Hotel Yorba" and the work that he did on Loretta Lynn's album "Van Lear Rose".

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
In an English mag. [Total Guitar] nov. 2004, Jack cites his influences asRobert Johnson, Son House, Charlie Patton and Willie Brown. Also John Lee Hooker and Howlin Wolf.

Some how Jack and Loretta Lynn are related. IMO this has contributed greatly to the White Stripes success. I'm not big fans of theirs but I do like to watch Meg play the drums. And I must admit, some of their lyrics have great hooks.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the info guys. And yes, it is a new album, maybe out for a month or so.

My favorite tracks are:
1) Blue Orchid
3) My Doorbell
4) Forever For Her (Is Over ForMe)
& 6) The Denial Twist

The album as a whole, I'd give it a 9.8, but that is my musical preference. But, I love the sound!

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Forever For Her doesn't make it to the top 5 on the charts, I love that song. Makes me want to do things to a nice woman, things I'm sure the censors wouldn't want me to mention.

I may have to take a road trip to Detroit to check out the club scene. If Detroit is where this music is coming from, Detroit is Rock City!

But, seriously, it is an interesting sound and puts me in a good mood. Seeing how much is going on in my life with going back to Iraq for my third tour, putting me in a good mood is an achievement. Thanks White Stripes, well, if you are ever here at ATS, thanks that is.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Some how Jack and Loretta Lynn are related.

I had no idea. If you have anymore info on how they are related, I'd like to know.
My husband is a hard core fan, and has every piece of vinyl that Loretta ever produced. He has all the records with Conway Twitty and Ernest Tubb, the Patsy Cline tribute album, etc.... He even has 8 tracks and cassette tapes.
(and all this has to play on the computers.... What a headache....)

So if anyone knows what the relationship between Jack White and Loretta Lynn is, please let me know.
It would mean a lot to me.

Thanks,
anxietydisorder................

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I do like to watch Meg play the drums. .

She can't even play them very well! She's the worst drummer I've ever seen in my opinion. She can't hit the bass drum without hitting a cymbal. I think in all honesty, I have actually seen a five year old play drums better than Meg.

She annoys me.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
xeroxed88

Honestly, I never heard of them until i saw them on the Daily Show on Comedy Central channel/TV.

I'm certain practice makes perfect. I don't know all too much about them, including Meg, but she seemed to do OK on the talk shows. She also wrote (i'm told) and does sing one song on the CD. It is an obvious feminist song which offers good advice for young women i suspect. I wasn't really paying close attention to her drum playing, but the overall sound blended good, but they were only performing two tracks "My Doorbell" & "The Denial Twist". Both songs incorporate drums, and sounded good to me. She didn't do to much talking at all when talking to Jon Stewart and Connan O'Brian. I think she is shy, ironic since she is a performer, but then again so was Jimmy Hendrix.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

She can't even play them very well! She's the worst drummer I've ever seen in my opinion. She can't hit the bass drum without hitting a cymbal. I think in all honesty, I have actually seen a five year old play drums better than Meg.

She annoys me.

The key word was WATCH. She is a terrible drummer but I love the way she jiggles. wink, wink,ay, ay know what i mean, nudge, nudge ay ay

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The key word was WATCH. She is a terrible drummer but I love the way she jiggles. wink, wink,ay, ay know what i mean, nudge, nudge ay ay

I've only ever seen one or two REALLY GOOD female drummers my whole life. But still, even if they are technically poor - there's something very sexy about female drummers for sure...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

She annoys me.

Yeah, I realised that after I made the post, I apologise. But yeah, man. Couldnt agree more with her "jiggling".

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
get behind me satan is the worst album since nitro relesace Q.T.B im sorry but this album sucks hardcore love there old stuf HATE this album with a passion

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thanks.

Now i know not to go out and buy any of their old stuff. (joking).

It is about personal taste. Sorry if my thread made you buy something you did not like.

Serves you right for giving into peer pressure. (again, joking)

I didn't think everyone would like it, but i did/do/will/shall/have .. . . . . . . . .

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i hope it is good,
im going to see them at big day out

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Best Album of the Year... by far.

The White Stripes are the real deal. I'd love to see them in concert too! I'm very jealous! They don't use playlists so every show is unique, and since there's only 2 of them they kind of feed off eachother and play songs differently according to their moods and change things around as they go almost like seeing a free form jam session. Brilliant!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
i hope it is good,
im going to see them at big day out

So am I.. considering buying a CD beforehand but don't know if I'll like more than that one song I can't remember the name of [I think there are triangles in the clip?]. Don't want to risk 30$ on a 'might' play it more than once gamble..

[edit on 20-1-2006 by riley]

top topics

join