It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2006

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Does the black "stripe" on this photo look like a new lava "flow" on Mt. Saint Helens. I haven't noticed this in previous webcam photos.

[image]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/valkeryie/volcano.jpg[/image]

[edit on 29-5-2006 by valkeryie]

[edit on 29-5-2006 by valkeryie]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie

Does the black "stripe" on this photo look like a new lava "flow" on Mt. Saint Helens. I haven't noticed this in previous webcam photos.

I do not see anything different. The floor of the caldera looks higher though.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Earthquake 5. at the Toba Volcano... hope it's not a sign that he's gonna wake up and then erupt because if so, we're cook!

Link

Do you think it's a sign??

[edit on 30-5-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Looks like that image I tried to post shows the rockfall associated from the last event at Mt. St. Helens.

source

VANCOUVER, Washington (AP) -- Mount St. Helens shot a steam and ash plume at least 16,000 feet into the air Monday after a large rockfall from the lava dome in the volcano's crater, scientists said.

Pilots reported the plume rose between 16,000 and 20,000 feet in the air, scientists at the Cascades Volcano Observatory said.

The rockfall coincided with a magnitude 3.1 earthquake shortly after 9 a.m. Monday at the mountain, scientists said.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Bah, I was seeing things yesterday. Ignore my comment directly above. The fog bank over the caldera fooled me. She looks fine today.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Lake atop Vanuatu volcano turns red

Volcanologists were wondering why a lake atop a rumbling volcano on the South Pacific island of Ambae has changed colour from blue to bright red.

Mount Manaro, one of four volcanos currently active in the island nation of Vanuatu, has been showing signs of erupting for only the second time in 122 years.

That would totally scare me if I live anywhere in that area. A blood red lake

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Comoros continues to erupt. The crater is now full of lava, no accurate predictions on which way the lava will flow once full.

source

Lava bubbled from a volcano in the Comoros yesterday, frightening thousands on the Indian Ocean archipelago’s largest island who feared a full-blown eruption as they waited to see where the molten rock might flow. An early morning reconnaissance flight over the crater of 2,361m Mount Karthala - one of the world’s largest active volcanoes which dominates the island of Grande Comore - gave no new clues.

He said the lava was covering an area about 3sq km.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
source

Lopevi has been spewing ash, and officals are unable to contact 2 villages on Paama Island.

Lopevi volcano in Vanuatu is continuing to cause havoc on surrounding islands, while several other volcanoes are also threatening.

The national disaster office says it is not able to reach one of two villages on Paama Island which has been badly affected by ash from Lopevi over the past two weeks.

So far, there are 3 volcanos in this area erupting, and a fourth one threatning. This is crazy.

www.radionz.co.nz...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Activity at Mt. Merapi has tripled in the past few days, ever since last saturday's earthquake.

source

YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia -- Activity at Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has tripled since Saturday's earthquake, and a large eruption is still possible, a volcanology official said Monday.
"The earthquake has caused instability in the lava dome," said Subandriyo, chief of the Merapi volcanology and monitoring office, who goes by a single name.

"There is still a chance that a big eruption might occur," he said.

The rumbling volcano spit out lava and hot clouds Monday morning, sending debris avalanching four kilometers down the mountain, he said.

Since Saturday's powerful nearby earthquake, the volcano has spewed hot clouds an average of 150 times a day, compared to 50 times before, he said.

www.news24.com...

01/06/2006 12:16 - (SA)
Jakarta - Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano spilled lava and heat clouds for a sixth consecutive day on Thursday, sending trails of molten rock down its western slope for the first time, scientists said.

In the first six hours of Thursday, Merapi sent 80 lava trails spilling down its slopes, some reaching down two kilometres, said Tri Yani of the volcanology office in Yogyakarta, located south of the simmering peak.

"It is the first time that lava was seen flowing to the west," Yani said, adding that the volcano had also released heat clouds.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by valkeryie]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Merapi spews lava,

Lava flows on the slopes of Mount Merapi as seen from Kalikuning near Yogyakarta, Indonesia, early Monday. (AP Photo/Purwowiyoto)

www.ctv.ca...

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
link

Merapi is erupting again. Villagers flee.

MOUNT MERAPI, Indonesia (AP) -- Indonesian officials evacuated 11,000 villagers from around Mount Merapi volcano, as lava and superheated clouds of gas poured repeatedly down its upper slopes, officials said Tuesday.

The government of nearby Magelang district mobilized more than 40 trucks and cars to evacuate about 11,000 villagers from three sub-districts near the foot of the mountain, said Edy Susanto, a district official.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
link

And yet another volcano in the Ring of Fire.

Sakurajima, one of Japan's most active volcanoes, has erupted near the southern Japanese city of Kagoshima. Smoke and ash rose high above the island's northern peak 1 117m high as residents of the nearby capital of Kagoshima prefecture looked on. Over 600 000 people live in the shadow of the volcano which is only a few kilometres off the port serving Kagoshima city.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
link

Now one of New Zealand's volcanoes is stirring.

Scientists are monitoring Mount Ngauruhoe, one of New Zealand's most active volcanoes.

The volcano's alert level was raised from zero to one, and hikers were warned to stay away from the crater atop the 2,291-metre peak in Tongariro National Park.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
link

Another small eruption. Ash plume 1000 m into the air.

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A volcano erupted in southern Japan on Wednesday, spewing a plume of smoke about 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) into the air, the Weather Agency said. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

Mount Sakurajima erupted at 5:30 p.m. (0830 GMT) and registered as moderate on the agency's scale for both the sound and the strength of the tremors it caused, according to a volcano bulletin.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I've just had word that Merapi has blown big time. Searching for verifying sources now...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here are a couple more starting to go. Both also in the Ring of Fire.

Kanlaon acts up; warning raised

news.inq7.net...

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs), in an advisory released Monday, also reminded people that the four-kilometer permanent danger zone of Kanlaon Volcano on Negros Island remained off limits to the public, particularly at this time when sudden ash and steam explosions might occur anytime.

www.gdacs.org...

Peru volcano activity has authorities preparing evacuation

www.dominicantoday.com...

www.gdacs.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I've just had word that Merapi has blown big time. Searching for verifying sources now...

Here is the only link I found so far...

link

MOUNT MERAPI, Indonesia -- Indonesia's most dangerous volcano spewed a spectacular roiling cloud of hot gas and ash down its southern slope Thursday, sending more than 15,000 villagers running for safety or piling into cars and trucks, officials said.
Mount Merapi has been venting steam and ash for weeks, but the 9 a.m. (0200 GMT) burst was the largest yet, with billowing, dark gray clouds avalanching 5 1/2 kilometers (3 1/2 miles) down the mountain, said Sugiono, a government vulcanologist.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned a forthcoming transcript for the 2006 PBS Nova broadcast TV program titled "Dimming the Sun". The transcript is now online, and here is that link:

www.pbs.org...

That show discusses the link between planetary phenomena such as volcanic eruptions and its connection with climate change.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Last time it erupted, it unleashed 2800 cubic km of magma and it was the largest eruption in 2 millions years... Yellowstone is only 1000km3... Toba is almost 3 times this as it is 2800km3...

So let's see the next earthquake in this region, could be the last one we see.

According to this website, toba was 2500km3. You are right about the last one at Yellowstone, it was 1000km3, but the biggest at yellowstone was 2450km3.

All very big and I wouldn't want to be nearby when they blew (as in about 1000 miles).

This is the site I was using

www.solcomhouse.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
source

Seems like the pressure in Mt. Merapi has been eased. Part of the dome dome collapsed today. Hopefully it will start to settle down now.

Part of the lava dome on Mount Merapi has collapsed, easing the pressure that threatened to trigger a full-blown eruption, according to a vulcanologist monitoring the Indonesian volcano. Antonius Ratdomopurbo said that a large gas blast, the biggest of the year on the country’s most dangerous volcano, brought down a section of its dome. The blast allowed red-hot lava and scorching gas to escape into a newly formed crater, relieving pressure and lowering the possibility of the dome’s complete collapse, which many feared could trigger a huge eruption.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join