It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home networking help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I need some help with home networking. First, would a switch be able to connect multiple computers to the internet (like a windows 2000 and an iMac 10.2.8)? Or would a router be needed for that?

Because when I tried that on my 5 port linksys switch, only one computer can get on the internet at a time. I tried changing the settings on both computers, but nothing worked.

Does anybody have any ideas here or do I need a router?? :bnghd:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
How many IP addresses are you assigned by your provider? Typically 3-5 are assigned by broadband providers. You may need to assign each computer with a specific assigned IP, and the DNS that corresponds to you provider.

Also, are you dealing with cable or DSL? What type of modem?

Hope that helps...

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I have no idea how many IP addresses are assigned, but it is broadband. What's DNS?

I have a cable modem, and a very fast connection too, 6 mbps w00t!!

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You can share internet on a home network because the modem or router is what recieves the Internet

Each computer needs to be set up with a diffeerent Ip address. You can assign ip numbers automatically or you can set the ips in yourself
as follows

the computer that the modem/router/switch is connected to should be set up as ip 192.168.0.1 then the others 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 and so on.

Most computers will default to the 192.168.0.1 ip which will stop the internet be shared.

some articles
www.windowsnetworking.com...
www.practicallynetworked.com...
www.homenethelp.com...
www.practicallynetworked.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I see now you have cable. Just make sure each computer has a different ip address as stated above and it should work. With cable you should'nt need anything else done. The first article link above should be the most help to you.

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the help! I really hope it works this time, I'm gonna go hook em both up and try it out. I've got my fingers crossed.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hmm, also, are you using "Straight Through" or "Crossover" cable? Description here: www.homenethelp.com... Hope that helps out on that. Also, are you trying to network the computers together AND allow them to connect to the internet?

Here is a quick simple guide from Microsoft on how to set up a home network.

www.microsoft.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In case no answer had worked.

YOu have your Cable modem.
It has a coax connection. (goes out to the internet)

best bet is getting a router.

Router has a Wan port (wide are network)
Plug the wan port connection, to the same type of connector on your cabel modem.

You may have to turn on DHCP on the Router (not the modem)
This will allow the router to hand out addresses to all your local computers.
So you really only need one Main address provided by your company.
There rest of the addresses will be assigned by your router. (and will have nothing to do with the company addresses.

all your other computers will now connect through the router, the router send them out the cable port, through that single address..

YOu can also try ICS...internet connection sharing...through a PC...but it truly sucks, and it;s hard to track IP addreses..

U2U if any other Qs?!!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I still can't get the windows and the mac to share the connection using a switch. I tried changing the IP's but then neither would get internet, and then my windows stopped getting internet completely, even with just itself hooked into the modem. But just FYI it has been able to get internet before.

Maybe Comcast has the upperhand here and I do need to purchase another IP? Or maybe just need to go with a router instead of a switch?

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Or maybe just need to go with a router instead of a switch?

Upon doing so, I think you will find it to be, virtually, "Plug-and-Play" and hassle-free.

u2u if need be.

Peace2All

[edit on 1/1/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Maybe Comcast has the upperhand here and I do need to purchase another IP? Or maybe just need to go with a router instead of a switch?

That's unlikely. It is possible that your ISP filters your internet connection by MAC (Media Access Control) Address. It's sort of like a serial number on your ethernet card. That way only one computer can use the internet connection. You can get a router that can broadcast the same MAC address no matter which computer is using the Internet connection. If you can look at your router settings it should show the ip and mac address of both the computers that are connected to it. Hopefully as in my case you can just check a box to have it always declare the same MAC address no matter which computer is using it. I'm using the Microsoft MS 700 router, but I'm sure there are others that will do this as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A Router -VS- a Switch/Hub is the answer.

A Router will dole out IPs, as needed, for your "local network" ... while allowing ALL [computers] to share the Internet Connection provided by your Cable/DSL!

Peace2All

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
In all the solutions here, I didn't spot any "use a proxy server" answers? What am I missing? Wouldn't a proxy server make sharing a single Internet connection much easier?

Many routers (and a handful of switches and few Hubs) can be set up to act as a Proxy server. Otherwise you can plug the modem into a single PC (preferably the most powerful) and run Proxy Software on it. (Newer versions of Windows "NT" have it included.) Some versions of Windows allow you to share a connection with others on the network by right clicking on the connection, choosing properties, and then Advanced and checking the "Allow other Network users..." option. You can get more info by clicking the "Internet Connection Sharing" at the bottom of that tab.

All PC's that want to reach the Internet through the Proxy Server has to be set up this way:
Go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Options > Connections > LAN Settings.
You'll then see an option to "Use a Proxy Server". Check the box, and enter the IP address of either the router acting as a Proxy or the IP of the PC running the Proxy Software. The Port number will depend on the set-up on the router or the Proxy Software. Check "Bypass Proxy for local addresses" and apply/OK.
For this to work all the PC's have to be in the same IP range (as other people described above).

Does that help?

top topics

join