It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Covert operations in Bosnia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How could US airplanes fly and drop military equipment to the muslims in the "no fly zone" in Bosnia?

The airspace was controlled by NATO, not the us. Did the nato commanders give order to the NATO Awacs to take a break and then asked the US to control the airspace so they could drop their cargo to the muslims?

What interest had the us supporting the muslims in the Balcan conflict?

Link to an interesting website, includes movie clips w interview:

www.btinternet.com...

Cold war was easier to understand..

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Very interesting link. And, it reminds me that I have meant for some time to try and learn more about some of the eastern Europe conflicts.

You're right, just what were they doing supporting the muslims? There's clearly a lot I don't understand about what was going on there.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

You're right, just what were they doing supporting the muslims? There's clearly a lot I don't understand about what was going on there.

I am by no means an expert on the Bosnia situation, actually I don't know much at all. But doesn't it make sense that we would support the group of people who were being systematically murdered and tossed in mass graves reminiscent of the Holocaust? Would you prefer that we made air drops and gave military equipment to Milosevich so that he could kill more Muslims with greater efficiency?

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly... General Wesley Clark was head of NATO during the war in Bosnia. I could be wrong here. But that would mean that he would have the authority to make any adjustment in patrols of the No-Fly zone you guys are speaking of, and thus be able to order and secure any air drops in the area.

On a related note... does anyone remember the story of Wesley Clark nearly starting WWIII with the Russians? Apparantly Russian forces advanced further then they agreed to, and Clark actually wanted to move in NATO tanks and armor onto the runways of the airport in the area so that Russia could not fly in or take off in support of their troops. Apparantly he was ready to go to war, and had he been allowed to do what he wanted to do it is very likely that Russia would have responded with some kind of force.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

I am by no means an expert on the Bosnia situation, actually I don't know much at all. But doesn't it make sense that we would support the group of people who were being systematically murdered and tossed in mass graves reminiscent of the Holocaust? Would you prefer that we made air drops and gave military equipment to Milosevich so that he could kill more Muslims with greater efficiency?

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly... General Wesley Clark was head of NATO during the war in Bosnia. I could be wrong here. But that would mean that he would have the authority to make any adjustment in patrols of the No-Fly zone you guys are speaking of, and thus be able to order and secure any air drops in the area.

On a related note... does anyone remember the story of Wesley Clark nearly starting WWIII with the Russians? Apparantly Russian forces advanced further then they agreed to, and Clark actually wanted to move in NATO tanks and armor onto the runways of the airport in the area so that Russia could not fly in or take off in support of their troops. Apparantly he was ready to go to war, and had he been allowed to do what he wanted to do it is very likely that Russia would have responded with some kind of force.

Do not forget that it was a UN mission not a US mission. The US or any other country had no rights to support any side of the conflict.

General George Joulwan had responsibility for surveillance of the airspace over Bosnia, because he was head of NATO not the US forces. The UN did not have AWACSs.

Quote from interview: JOULWAN: "I took command of Allied Command Europe in October of 1993 and we were involved – NATO – in providing both what we called Deny Flight, which was air cover over Bosnia and responsiveness to UN calls for assistance –air strikes."

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by StayBehind

Originally posted by Rasputin13

The UN did not have AWACSs.

Wrong.

Did you know that due to a language barrier; a NATO AWACS ordered the F117 stealth to be shot down?

Fact.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
What is wrong?

Do you have any documentation that support your info?

top topics

join