It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Fear God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Do you fear your God?

What is the opposite of love?

Hate?

How can one honestly justify their hate without first being afraid that that which they hate had the potential to deminish that which they love?

Hate is only justifiable where fear exists.

Fear opposes Love.

Fear is the opposite of love.

Fear your God?

Then, are you not doing the opposite of loving your God?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
i have no reason to fear my god.....but i have alot of reason to love him.....
infact im smiling and am very happy with the thought of my god and our relationship.....

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well...

If you need a little help believing in whatever deity, fear is definitely great motivation to believe. If you believe on your own, though, you shouldn't need a reason to fear said deity.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague
infact im smiling and am very happy with the thought of my god and our relationship.....

And which god are you happy with?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by eudaimonia

And which god are you happy with?

its weird i grew up around alot of catholics and prods but always had this initial thought on god and what i believed......i find the vedic teachings of early hindus much to my liking..........i guess i would have to say Krsna would be my diety of choice as he always seems to put a smile on my face when ever i see a pic or hear or mention his name......but i feel the truth behind god is that its not a material thing you can grasp hes in you and me and everything around us...limitless ...and farremoved from our material world...

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

but i feel the truth behind god is that its not a material thing you can grasp hes in you and me and everything around us...limitless ...and farremoved from our material world...

And this limitless and immaterial thing you can't grasp...must we label it god?

Is it necessary to substitute the unknown, things that we cannot understand, and say that this is the mystery of this god or that god?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
no actually in vedic teachings they label it the "atman" or creator......
you dont have to label it anything......in this forum it is just easier to refer to it as god......to me the essence of atman or god is pure energy.....the energy that flows thru everything and to which everything is bounded to..

as far as substituting the unknown.....for me i know god...im very much in touch with god......for me its not searching for something or needing to explain the unknown......its more of a calling and no matter how far i stray i can always feel it and it always brings me back, and if in the end we die and nothing happens i will not be sad .....because believing these things have made me grow and become a better person so if im wrong then im wrong but from what ive felt and experienced i know im not wrong in believing what i believe....

[edit on 28-12-2005 by plague]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Do you fear your God?

You are forgetting a definition of fear.

fear
Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.

reverence
A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Fear: A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.

Im thinking this is the type of fear she is referring to.

Everyone fears what they do not know, at least in some amount.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
Fear: A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.

Probably, but I am saying that the other definition is the way we should approach the matter.

Yes , people probably fear what they don't know, so that is why God gave us the Bible so we could know Him. Then when we find out He wants us to know Him and He is approachable through Christ and that He will literally come and live inside of the believer, that should dispel this fear. You can't get any closer than dwelling on the inside of us. What we have available to us in the Holy Spirit, living in us, is more than what Adam and Eve had available to them.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion

Probably, but I am saying that the other definition is the way we should approach the matter.

Yes , people probably fear what they don't know, so that is why God gave us the Bible so we could know Him. Then when we find out He wants us to know Him and He is approachable through Christ and that He will literally come and live inside of the believer, that should dispel this fear. You can't get any closer than dwelling on the inside of us. What we have available to us in the Holy Spirit, living in us, is more than what Adam and Eve had available to them.

God is a him? How do you know this?

Wait, there's a God? And his name is Jesus? Oh my GOD, is this breaking news or what!?

Everyone! Get on your knees and pray to THE GOD we're been looking for!

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

Do you fear your God?

You are forgetting a definition of fear.

fear
Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.

reverence
A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.

Honestly, I don't think fear and love are the same thing, and according to your logic, they are?

If "Fear" is the same as "Reverence", and "Reverence" is the same as "Love", then it stands to reason that you just told me that fear and love are the same emotion?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
'...God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind...'

'...There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment--he that fears is not made perfect in love...'

Why exchange fear of ? for fear of God?

Fear is fear.

But LOVE is above all things and is benefit for every soul, without exception.

And LOVE is my favorite word.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Truth is binary? I like that new post Holiday avatar you got there queenannie38.

I always appreciate your contributions, although I don't always understand what you are trying to convey the first time i read them, i find my place to where you are coming from.

Having said that, I must concede I think there is 1 thing more important than love. And the one thing higher than love is truth, but irony is irony, and some people may find that their truth is love.

I try to think of truth and love as two seperate, but everlastingly interconnected concepts. I am not sure if this makes sense to some people, perhaps not, but sometimes I feel truth as an emotion. But, when i feel truth is like an emotion i also sense love, but fear and hate are not there. Nothing percieved as negative can find it's way there. Sorry, words constrain and limit how i can communicate what it is, but how we try, relentlessly . . . .. .

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Honestly, I don't think fear and love are the same thing, and according to your logic, they are?

I don't know what to say. I said fear also has another meaning different than being afraid/scared. You are going in a circle so that you can associate two words together. I'm telling you that "fear" in it's other meaning "reverence" leads to love for God.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Truth is binary? I like that new post Holiday avatar you got there queenannie38.

Why thank you, my dear.

I always appreciate your contributions, although I don't always understand what you are trying to convey the first time i read them, i find my place to where you are coming from.

Hee hee. Me, too.

Just kidding.
Sort of.

Having said that, I must concede I think there is 1 thing more important than love. And the one thing higher than love is truth, but irony is irony, and some people may find that their truth is love.

Truly, I understand what you are saying--and I'm not saying the following in order to refute you, because of course you know that's prohibited.

I used to think that, too--and then, somehow--I can't really outline my course of understanding as it weaves through the paradise of love and truth--but it became clear to me that my own journey was 'truth' and then 'love' and then a more intense type of 'truth/love' was next--and they've become more or less one in their actions and manifestations.

I think to 'love truth' is a sure step in the direction of the light.

The thing is, there is much delusion in this world--and while the 'truth will always prevail' (something which I literally experienced--I'll tell you about it if we ever find ourselves sitting around a campfire together) and the 'truth will set you free' (it did me, no doubt)--I don't think that the opportunity of experiencing (by being faced with certain 'tragic' situations or 'human frailties no longer deniable') or discernment of truth is something that all souls, by default, are given--at first. But something everyone can do is to love. Even in the midst of lies and confusion, love is the only anchor that can maintain a ship tossed about on uncertain murky waters.

Love defeats all things--and truth is an invaluable weapon that love uses. But love doesn't always reveal its artillery, at the start of the battle. And truth is what we find victorious at the end.

top topics

join