It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel Universe. Does it exist? What is it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So, what if (using the die example) In this dimension or universe you roll a six an din the parallel one you roll a six, at the same time, would it create a universal wave or something, is that even possible? And when you do something in this universe does your mirror image do the same at the exact same time or at a different time, and is this information being transported like in waves or does it just happen.? And are we the ones who start the cycle or ends it, what I’m trying to say is are we the universe that rolls th edice and gets the six and then everyone else gets the remaining numbers or we just an extra number from the outcome of another universe rolling a five? This probably didn’t help anyone, but if someone could have a theory or any possible answers that would be great.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
like in the movie the One evere you is difrent in every Univers. number 1 Neerd 2 Fotballstar 3 dead 4 police officer 5 Bill gates. you knowe

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Kinda, except there's more than 4 dozen universes. If other universes do exist parrallel to our own, it's likely that there's an infinite number of them, with every possible action, from subatomic to cosmic, being different.

So, it's more like Sliders really. The only problem is that you might slide to a world where the world doesn't exist! But the dust instead accumulated elsewhere. Or you might slide to a world where there's no breathable atmosphere because life never started, or never evolved, or didn't create an atmosphere suitable for you.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Of course parallel universes exist, I know of some politicians and some countires like Iran who live in them presently.

Originally posted by k4rupt
Does parallel universes exist? What is it? Is it an exact same replica of our universe?

[edit on 5-1-2006 by Netchicken]

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
With a parallel universe, wouldn't a new one be created whenever a decision or thing happened in that universe? For instance, say WWII was started by Germany because maybe Hitler was killed in WWI (in another parallel universe of course) but the USSR started the war. Then you've got every choice, what if Trotsky managed to lead the Soviets, Lenin hadn't died...etc. Think of EVERY different possibility to EVERY event that has and hasn't happened.

Gee,

makes you feel kinda un-important doesn't it?

But how would it be created?

Would every decision and event result in a bang?
Does it theoretically take into account the fact that I may not've made this post? Or even joined this forum. I suppose it does...

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Does parallel universes exist? What is it? Is it an exact same replica of our universe?

A parallel universe exists, but the only difference is everyone has goatees and an opposite personality.

In all seriousness, there are many different multiverse theories, some mundane, others rather extreme. I'll talk about two of the theories.

One theory is that multiple universes exist within our own universe. This theory is more widely accepted than the others because it can be tested and has been mathematically. I don't remember the numbers anymore, but it was detailed in a Scientific American that came out a year or two (White cover, multiple earth pictures overlapped in a spiral shape shrinking into the background, "Parallel Universes" in large black Arial letters) ago. The theory states there are only a certain number of ways in which matter can arrange itself, and this number is significantly smaller than the suspected matter in our universe. So, essentially, if you were to travel far enough, you could come to another earth that would be slightly different than ours (maybe green means stop and red means go), or there may not be an earth at all.

The other, as was mentioned by others, would be based on quantum mechanics. This theory states that, since Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle dictates true randomness exists in the universe, that every time a random even happens (a particle has either left/up or right/down spin), both events happen and the universe splits. This theory is not widely accepted among physicists, but it is accepted enough to be known.

As to the question asking if the Bible supports multiple universes, they're not mentioned. Interpretations could be made that we aren't the first creation, which could indicate multiple universes, as we perceive them. I have put forward a theory on several threads here on ATS related to the quantum multiverse theory stated above accounting for God's omniscience yet our free will. In essence, God knows every possible action and can see all those multiverses based on our actions from beginning to end.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Everything we do is a choice, one way or another. I'm choosing to post on this thread. So would that cause a universe to be created? That produces way to many universes in my opinion. And I am calculating for just me. What about animals and insects. Is a universe created for them to? There made up of the same quarks and photons that we are. Just to much to swallow in my opinion. I could choose to add more but I'll let my doople ganger do that for me in one of my infinte universes.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
mashup, the quantum multiverse theory isn't as macro as being based on your choice. It is based on particle spin. By the quantum theory, you could have millions of universes where you said the exact same thing. Then there could also be millions of universes where you said "fo" instead of "of".

Personally, I think this theory is just an attempt to hold onto the clockwork universe model that has been prevalent in physics for so many centuries. Randomness, in most physicists’ minds, couldn't exist. Einstein raged against Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle, convinced the universe operated with no randomness but unable to show how or why. It seems like a new way to hold onto old beliefs despite recent discoveries.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jagzz

I'm wondering about the deja vu phenomenon. When this happens to me it always feels like it happened a long time ago...is it possible "I" experienced the same situation in a parallel universe????

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
whilst the the idea of a multiverse is quite intriguing and great for thought experiments try not to lend it to much credence yet. Physics should be based on the simplest possible explanation. It is my opinion (and many others) that its customized mathematics molded to fit. IT is not based on anything other than math and being one who has a degree in chemistry and working towards one in physics i can assure that theoretical math can be made to say whatever you want it to.

Occams razor dictates that it should be simple and elegant. Yet it some of the most complex maths on the planet. When you begin to work at scales you can no longer measure it becomes human conjecture and that is a serious flaw in mathematical sciences. It is becoming evident to more and more physicists that the multiverse is nothing more than a mathematicle curiosity used to explain wave/particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

It would be my guess as our instruments and technology advance you will begin to see some real physics coming out of various labs, and the multiverse will remain a mathematical curiosity. I'm awaiting for results from the various experiments at the LHC before i render any further opinion. If they do not find A Higgs Boson that acts like a "closed loop string" that can seep off our verse and into another than its back to drawing board and its my guess that that is what will most likely happen. I believe cern can find the cause of mass but i think it will be just another quark that behaves similar to the others in the particle zoo.

CW OUT!!

edit for spelling

[edit on 23-10-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
hi my name is rocco i am doing a project on the parallel universe can someone please explain in a 13 yr old persons words what the parallel universe is and how it works

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Here are a few threads about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Mind Blowing Quantum Physics

“OMG! ‘Faith’ and ‘Quantum Physics’ are the SAME thing!” Well Maybe…??

I have posts in both of these. Generally I describe it like this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good stuff, hope more people take interest in the topic. Explains many things, and gives much understanding.

I should read dates more often, looks like this got bumped by anon.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Watch this video, it's an excellent explanation of parallel universes, but more specifically, how all of the theoretical 10 dimensions exist. Eventually, you have an infinite amount of possible universes, and an infinite amount of realities. Even ones where everyone wears a cowboy hat!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A thing or event does not come into existence, or reality, until it is experienced by the self, or what is referred to as "I" or "me". It is this "I" that the bible describes as the part of mankind made in the image of God, not the physical body we use to identify ourselves as distinct from others. That being said, I believe that Schrodinger was only partially correct. Namely, the cat could be poisoned, but either is or isn't relative to our experience of it. That is to say that the POSSIBILITY of the cat dying exists at the same time as the POSSIBILITY of it living does but the REALITY of either only comes into existence when the self experiences one or the other.

The bible does not explain this paradox, and I believe for good reason. God, wants us to be curious and to seek answers...it is what motivates a searching for Him (the truth). But it is not by any means true that because the Bible does not talk about it, that it is not true. The bible does not talk about Dinosaurs, and yet man has managed to discover thousands of species of them. The Bible is a guide for living, not a scientific documenteation of the history of planet earth. Genesis explains the creation of the heavens and earth spanning a period of six days, but what is a day without a 24 hour rotation of an earth that has not been created yet? A day to God could be a millennia to you and me. It is all relative.

And this is the KEY word "relative". It is why Einstein is know for having the most comprehensive analysis and understanding of quantum mechanics. Things are or aren't because they are experienced. Time is relative to the self. Renee Descartes also had a very good grasp on reality and existence. "I think, therefore I am", is the most mind bogglingly simple explanation of reality that I will ever know. We "are", we "exists" because our mind, the self, acknowledges our experience of a design we have come to know as a physical reality. So does a parallel universe exist? Yes AND no, not Yes or No. Read Stephen Hawking's A brief History of Time. It is the best overall explanation of quantum theory for the layman.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join