It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone seen this (did search)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Matej, that link (which is almost identical to a page in the 'Aircraft 2000' book I've just dug out for another thread - spooky!) Does not claim that they are the same project. Indeed it comments that the vertical launch painting is a US Navy concept matching a General Dynamics design while the Vought TF120 uses the tandem fan I highlighted above. Both these designs date from around the same time and to meet almost the same requirement but they are not otherwise related.

I made a thread some time ago that was called something like 'US Navy pre JSF projects' or similar in which I included the TF-120, however I didn't include the vertical launch project as General Dynamics put more effort into their De Havilland designed 'ejector lift' flat riser system which was designed into an airframe similar to the F-16XL, this too was illustrated in my thread.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I was wrong. I had a little free time, so I taked a detailed look on it. The artwork from US Navy that I posted last time is very confusing, because it shows General Dynamics model 218 like plane. But it had two lift and one cruise TVC engines, so it need not to start from pivoting platform. General Dynamics model 200 and later 218 was a backup for Rockwell XFV-12A.

In the other side, Vought TF-120 is one generation ahead. It was competitor in Navy V/STOL attack fighter competition together with Grumman design 623 [derived from one V/STOL VFAX proposal], McDonnell Douglas Model 279, General Dynamics E-7 [which used the same propulsion scheme as De Havilland Canada design from 1983], Rockwell fighter developed from XFV-12A [project or design number is unknown and it existed in two versions - with lateral or longitudinal argumentator] and Vought TF-120. Boeing also submitted some designs [model on the right down corner is place, where you can find X-32 philosophy with air intakes :-], but without any success.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Does anyone know what happened to the prototype?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is a bit more real world...

It's been on here before somewhere, it's a sub launched UAV, those wings fold up and it's launched from existing launch tubes, does it's flying around business then just bobs around waiting for a pick up or another mission - that's pretty cool, it could prob be made to hang around submerged.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join