It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Expects Birth of Cloned Sheep in Feb

page: 1

join
share:
Sep

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
In less than two months, Iran hopes to celebrate the birth of cloned sheep, the first such attempt in the Middle East and part of the country's ambitions _ along with its nuclear and space programs _ to become a regional high-tech powerhouse.

The cloning program has won backing from Iran's Muslim Shiite religious leaders, who have issued religious decrees authorizing animal cloning but banning human reproductive cloning. A majority of Iran's nearly 70 million people are Shiites.

In contrast, Sunni Muslim religious leaders _ including senior clerics in Saudi Arabia _ have banned cloning altogether, even in animals.

Our final aim of animal cloning is to create ground for new research in the country and prepare Iran scientifically to carry out cloning treatment _ provided global agreements are reached," Ashtiani said.

Under a 20-year development plan, Iran aims to become a base for high technology and a scientific powerhouse in western Asia and a regional dominant power by 2025.

www.cbsnews.com...

It is always great to see developing countries developing rapidly in scientific fields.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
i am pro cloning in animals...i am unsure if iran will reach its 2025 goal since i think as things stand now the u.s. or israel may attack them.

brian

join