It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic ice shelf splits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The largest ice shelf in the Arctic has fractured, releasing all the water from the freshwater lake it dammed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
WE MUST SIGN KYOTO NOW!!

SUV'S ARE KILLING THE EARTH!!

NO WAR FOR OIL!!

(sorry...I was having a knee-jerk Liberal moment)

Refreshingly, no one is blamed. They only mention 'climate change' and warming without attributing it to SUV's.....

Being this was written by three scientists, I'm inclined to think that there is an entirely different thought on this that isn't contained in this article. The only thing changing, from a scientific point of view, is our understanding of the earth's natural cycles, IMHO.

The good thing I guess is that the melting of floating ice will not raise levels at all. It is already displacing a mass of seawater equivalent to its total weight. When it melts it will displace the exact same amount.

As to global warming, I'm a skeptic but my mind is not closed entirely. Some of the recent observations is the artic, with areas of perma-frost melting for the first time in recorded history, also for the first time in the oral history of the Inuit (eskimos). Maybe it's just the continuation of the end of the last great ice age, or maybe it's global warming, or perhaps it's part of some other cyclical phenomenon.

I don't think that there is empirical 'proof' that the world is getting warmer...I think it depends on the 'time frame.'

Figure 1-1 Global warming

Figure 1-2 Climate of the last 2400 years

Figure 1-3 Climate of the last 12,000 years

Figure 1-4 Climate of the last 100,000 years

Figure 1-5 Climate for the last 420 kyr, from Vostok ice

Articles/sites:
"Origin of the 100 kyr Glacial Cycle:
eccentricity or orbital inclination?"

Link:
muller.lbl.gov...

"Brief introduction to the history of climate"
Link:
muller.lbl.gov...

"Global Warming: A closer look at the numbers"
Link:
www.clearlight.com...

"Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?

It is about 0.28%, if water vapor is taken into account-- about 5.53%, if not.......
There is no dispute at all about the fact that even if punctiliously observed, (the Kyoto Protocol) would have an imperceptible effect on future temperatures -- one-twentieth of a degree by 2050."

regards
seekerof

new topics

join