It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nigerian Airliner Crashes Killing Over 56

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
At least 56 people reportedly have been killed in a plane crash in Nigeria's Port City of Harcourt. Allegedly the aircraft had more then 100 people on board, most of who were secondary students. The aircraft is owned and operated by Sosoliso Airlines.

Yahoo News

A Nigerian passenger jet crashed on landing in the southern city of Port Harcourt on Saturday, and a radio station said at least 56 people were killed.

Burned bodies lay across the landing area after the plane broke into pieces, said an airport worker who refused to give his name.

The Sosoliso Airlines from Abuja was carrying 110 people when it "crash landed and burst into flames," the radio station Rhythm FM reported. Fifty-six bodies have been recovered and seven people were taken to the hospital, the report said.

The cause of the crash on a day of scattered thunderstorms was unclear.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the second Nigerian airliner that has crashed in two months and I wonder if this may or may not be terrorist related.

I also would like to know the type of aircraft it was. I hope it was not another Boeing 737.

They are now reporting it was a DC-9.

Related News Links:

www.sosolisoairline.com...

[edit on 12/10/2005 by shots]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
There is no article here??

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone

Link works fine here

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by siriuslyone

Link works fine here

Sorry, my error.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Latest on this is that most on the plane are dead i think they said it was 103, and 7 in hospital

SKYNEWS

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
75 of the dead were high school students on a class trip. How sad!

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
"Rose of Enugu" / 5N-BFD

The students were from a Jesuit College and some eminent passengers were on board this plane as well. Eyewitness said the plane "went up in flames before crashing"...

AllAfrica.com: As Death Stalks a Nation's Air Space, 103 Die in P/Harcourt Crash

This Day (Lagos)
December 10, 2005
Posted to the web December 11, 2005

a Sosoliso Airlines aircraft crashed in Port Harcourt killing 103 passengers, including about 60 students of Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja, who were on board the flight.

Among some of the eminent passengers believed to have been on board the ill-fated plane were the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Prof. Thompson Okujagu and motivational preacher and Pastor of Fountain of Life Church, Mrs Bimbo Odukoya. Odukoya was said to have travelled on a first class ticket with the name recorded as Odukoya B. A son of one Okey Ezenwa, a brother in-law to the Rivers State Governor, Dr. Peter Odili as well as Architect Roland Cookey-Gam whose wife once served as Secretary to the Rivers State Government (SSG) reportedly died in the crash with his daughter. Cookey-Gam was the consulting architect to the building committee of the new Rivers State Govern-ment House.

eyewitness account said the DC-9 airplane with the inscription Rose of Enugu and registered as 5N-BFD went up in flames before crashing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here is the link to the other plane crash (ATSNN thread) :
NEWS: Nigerian Plane Crashes - 116 Onboard Including Government Officials (by Mayet)

top topics

join